Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2487841 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #17075 on: 17 June, 2015, 08:34:31 pm »
Lots of SMIDSYs and lemming pedestrians today. Ironic, as I was wearing my yellowest top.

The last was a guy on foot jinking through traffic towards the train station - he sidestepped the car in front of me, looked straight at me, and kept going. I whoa-ed and braked, we both swerved, it was fine, and I shouted "hope you catch your train!" after him.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #17076 on: 17 June, 2015, 09:32:00 pm »
Saw a very large dead adder on the road this afternoon. At least, I think it was dead. Gave it a v wide berth just in case. The idea of one those slithering up your trousers is sobering. And a good argument for those trouser clips I bought off Fruitcake.

« Reply #17077 on: 17 June, 2015, 09:46:36 pm »
It goes without saying that Fruitcake should endorse his (her?) trouser-bands as adder resistant, given your experience  today.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17078 on: 17 June, 2015, 10:07:01 pm »
It goes without saying that Fruitcake should endorse his (hers?) trouser-bands as adder resistant, given your experience  today.

Inna W C Fields stylee?

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake. And if you don't have a flagon of whiskey, Fruitcake trouser-bands are an ideal substitute.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #17079 on: 18 June, 2015, 07:04:29 am »
Lots of SMIDSYs and lemming pedestrians today. Ironic, as I was wearing my yellowest top.

The last was a guy on foot jinking through traffic towards the train station - he sidestepped the car in front of me, looked straight at me, and kept going. I whoa-ed and braked, we both swerved, it was fine, and I shouted "hope you catch your train!" after him.

Is it ironic that I couldn't read the highlighted text? I'll have to ask Alannis! :-)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #17080 on: 18 June, 2015, 10:47:25 am »
Another nice, easy ride this morning.

The only downside was that the temperature was slightly too low for short sleeves but I was a sweaty mess at the end of the journey!

Also, flies! Bugger off!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Pancho

« Reply #17081 on: 18 June, 2015, 12:25:29 pm »
Pissing it down here this morning.

Cape/poncho did it's job splendidly and is slung over bike drying in glorious sun that came out as I arrived at work!

If weather holds may add some miles and try the BRT bus road to Gosport this eve.

Pancho

« Reply #17082 on: 18 June, 2015, 05:02:26 pm »
Must have done 30k or more as a homebound commute today. F..cking brilliant!

Into Fareham,down the busway and along the harbour edge to Gosport then follow the coast home.

Si_Co

« Reply #17083 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:20:32 am »
31km and still too early, must start later go further  :D

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #17084 on: 19 June, 2015, 12:44:49 pm »
Last night on what was otherwise a fun ride, there a crunch and graunch sound slipped into my ears. I could have sworn that I hadn't run over some debris and carried on. A couple of times I noticed that Lady Bertie was handling strangely, kind of loose and wobbly - enough that I was seriously concerned that one of the frame clips was coming undone :o

I pulled over and checked them, both done up nice and securely. I shook it off, putting it down to a combination of blustery cross wind and carrying a six pack of non-alcomoholic beers over the front. The disconcerting wobblyness carried on, and I noticed it was pronounced on fast stretches with undulations in the tarmac. I stopped again, suspecting a visitation on the rear. Nope. But what's this? A spoke had snapped. Bugger.

I finished the journey slowly and took the short route in this morning, and noted that even without the weight on the front carrier, Lady Bertie was still noticeably unsettled over undulating tarmac. So I wasn't just imagining it! Yay!

Anyhoo, she's now going to spend the weekend in the bike shop and I'll get her back on Monday.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #17085 on: 19 June, 2015, 07:03:04 pm »
One I really hate this morning.  The attempted overtake on a 90 degree left hand bend.
I could tell she was going to try it by the engine note and so I tried to stay primary to ward her off.
Not primary enough.   
Round she came.
You know how it works. The front end passes with grudging minimal clearance.  The back end clips the curb and cyclist.  Luckily I was able to rest my right shoulder on the car and escaped from the bend undamaged.
Big shout from me as it was happening, but I'm afraid I used the cunt word (extremely rare for me) when I pulled up alongside at the next lights.
Thousand yard stare. 
Yeah, OK, probably best
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pancho

« Reply #17086 on: 19 June, 2015, 07:26:19 pm »
I hope and expect that the good days outweigh the bad days for you as they do for me, Basil!

A dim bird in a massive car/truck thing[1] squawked at me "there's a cycle path over there, you know" yesterday. Being a glass half full type of bloke, I think she was trying to be helpful. Sadly light cycles aren't long enough to contain a lecture on the inadequacies of a 1 metre wide pavement replete with drives, side roads, and an assortment of street furniture.

But it was still a good day. A great day, in fact.

[1] Is "crew cab" the term? With a covered back end. Almost ask big as the ASDA delivery truck that hung back for ages and then gave me an exemplary overtake ahead of her.

fuzzy

« Reply #17087 on: 19 June, 2015, 08:22:38 pm »
I got U Boned as I filtered past a queue of traffic on Quarry Wood Road.

I was doing about 10 mph and was just outside the door zone of the queue. As I started to overlap a Seat Leon it decided to throw a right. I hit the brakes and threw in a bit of right steerage but still hit the rear offside door. She kept moving and the 'Dale and I slid gracefuly (in fact that is prolly bullshit and should read 'gracelessly') along the side of her car and collapsed in a tangled heap on the floor. As we landed I heard the driver say "I've just hit a cyclist" which was followed by a male voice on the other end of a hands free phone conversation say "What, you've hit one?"

A couple of other drivers from the queue rushed over and helped untangle me from the 'Dale and as the driver got out she was very apologetic saying sorry and how she did'nt even check her mirrors- proper taking responsibility. We exchanged details and I insisted that I felt OK, a bit of a sore knee but OK. She offered to drive me home, as did one of the other drivers but I said that as long as the bike was OK I would ride as I was only a few minutes from home.

She insisted that if any damage needed repairing that I call her and we will sort it.

The 'Dale had bars that were slightly twisted and the left hand STI is also a bit twisted but apart from that he looks fine. A quick health check at the bike shop whilst I'm working tomorrow will clarify.

I have a slightly scuffed and sore left knee, a stippled shoulder and my left wrist is a bit tender but I have felt worse after a night policing the night time economy so could be worse. The driver has just phoned to see how I am now and to apologise again.

Scuffage-

Stipplage-

Pancho

« Reply #17088 on: 22 June, 2015, 07:13:42 am »
GWS, matey. That looks like a proper bikie style set of scuffs. Wear with pride!

My prangs, big or small, invariably result in sartorial damage - so hope your commuter clobber survived.

Pancho

« Reply #17089 on: 22 June, 2015, 07:27:10 am »
More rain for me today. And the more rain, the more highly I rate the cycling cape as the most sensible bike rainwear. The only problem with mine is that the hood has no peak. And as a speccy-four-eyes this is a problem. The solution, I hope, is a traditional souwester hat from Ortlieb - soon to be ordered.

More evidence that some people don't turn evil when they get behind the wheel today. Quite a few oncoming drivers stopped and waited for me to pass before driving through mega puddles and sending sheets of water up and across the road. As capes don't provide much protection from this sort of attack, their consideration was much appreciated. Unfortunately, wearing a cape also meant it was not possible to give a thumbs up.

« Reply #17090 on: 22 June, 2015, 07:46:22 am »
I tend not to bother with the hood on my Carradice cape and wear a cycling cap instead - the peak keeps the worst of the rain off my specs and my head warm. I'm not fussed about waterproofing as such, as I can always towel my hair afterwards.

« Reply #17091 on: 22 June, 2015, 07:54:24 am »
More rain for me today. And the more rain, the more highly I rate the cycling cape as the most sensible bike rainwear. The only problem with mine is that the hood has no peak. And as a speccy-four-eyes this is a problem. The solution, I hope, is a traditional souwester hat from Ortlieb - soon to be ordered.

More evidence that some people don't turn evil when they get behind the wheel today. Quite a few oncoming drivers stopped and waited for me to pass before driving through mega puddles and sending sheets of water up and across the road. As capes don't provide much protection from this sort of attack, their consideration was much appreciated. Unfortunately, wearing a value also meant it was not possible to give a thumbs up.
A souwester from Ortlieb ?!!??  Surely you have at least a couple of good LCs (Local Chandlers) for that kind of gear.

Look ! They even make breathable ones these days.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #17092 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:28:23 am »
I'm really missing Battersea Park right now. As soon as this Formula E race nonsense is over I'll be glad to get off the roads around the park, which really are shit. Also riding past that enormous empty pavement along Albert Bridge road, knowing that the bit by the bridge is a cycle path, but the bit alongside the park is for some reason, not., just maddens me.
I hate being stuck in heavy traffic.

« Reply #17093 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:30:46 am »
Those hats are really good - the long rear keeps water from going down the neck.  I only wear mine in 'proper' rain but it works spendidly.  Would recommend.

« Reply #17094 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:33:45 am »
long ride in as I had to go via my base office, this meant no sensible train option for the middle of the ride so I had 1:15 minutes and ~20 miles today.

Typically it rained just as I left the office.

« Reply #17095 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:56:46 am »
Back on commuter bike after sorting out the front brake this weekend. Cool stop pads were down to the metal.
Ride in was cool, 12C at start of ride and just after a shower. Really doesnt feel like summer.  This time last year I was commuting in my sandals.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #17096 on: 22 June, 2015, 12:20:41 pm »
I've used my sandals only once this year.  It just isn't warm enough in the mornings.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #17097 on: 22 June, 2015, 01:16:04 pm »
I'm really missing Battersea Park right now. As soon as this Formula E race nonsense is over I'll be glad to get off the roads around the park, which really are shit. Also riding past that enormous empty pavement along Albert Bridge road, knowing that the bit by the bridge is a cycle path, but the bit alongside the park is for some reason, not., just maddens me.
I hate being stuck in heavy traffic.

You can stll ride through the park, they've got a route through with people waving you throuhg.  It's not great but preferable to the alternative, at least on the ride in.  I tend to ride along the road as far as Albert Brideg on the way home.

But, yes another week and a bit with all the get out time.  Not great.

I did ring the council and ask if they would temporarily permit (considerate) cycling along the broad path by the river but no luck.  I'm pretty sure that would involve less people.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #17098 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:34:31 pm »
Wind was a bit savage and nearly got knocked down twice by people overtaking me and then turning left without looking.

Thankfully made it home in one piece. Shorts a bit brown though. ;)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #17099 on: 22 June, 2015, 11:16:18 pm »
Look !

Nice Find, just ordered one!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!