Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3883334 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23500 on: 27 May, 2020, 09:19:13 am »
23 early morning miles with crystal clear views on Ditchling Beacon and pesticide being sprayed smelling like Lynx Africa.
We'd normally have been up there a few times already by this point of the year. I envy you that view.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #23501 on: 27 May, 2020, 10:28:46 am »

Unpollarded Plane Trees.  No cafe.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #23502 on: 27 May, 2020, 10:43:30 am »

Unpollarded Plane Trees.  No cafe.

Tis a good illustration of the effect on hard surfaces tho.

« Reply #23503 on: 27 May, 2020, 11:32:24 am »
They have been sculpted- they've had their crowns lifted and will be pollarded to maintain that height.

It only looks so brutal when it's freshly done. Dr google hasn't been very good at bringing up pictures for me, but my mk1 eyeball has seen it in the flesh.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23504 on: 27 May, 2020, 11:37:05 am »
Balconies, shutters, doors opening directly on the street, grills on windows.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #23505 on: 27 May, 2020, 07:33:42 pm »
An early morning ( 6.30 am) ride on Grunhilda, of 66km, ending in a double climb, and i could easily have carried on to do over 100km. :)  So comfy.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23506 on: 27 May, 2020, 09:42:31 pm »
An early morning ( 6.30 am) ride on Grunhilda, of 66km, ending in a double climb, and i could easily have carried on to do over 100km. :)  So comfy.

Do let us know when you wake up in a verge...  (I've only fallen asleep on mine twice.)

« Reply #23507 on: 28 May, 2020, 07:15:22 am »
Balconies, shutters, doors opening directly on the street, grills on windows.

It's a strange part of France. From there on a day ride you can take the paths over the Eastern Pyrennees that smugglers, refugees and other fugitives would have used to by-pass the border post. It's eerily quiet and deserted these days.
Move Faster and Bake Things

bairn again

« Reply #23508 on: 28 May, 2020, 09:03:14 am »
Cheeky wee 30km post work yesterday.

A quick exit from Edinburgh city through Gogar and Ratho then up to Long Dalmahoy Road and back home through HWU campus my undergraduate stomping ground.

Tandem ride tonight and if I manage out on Saturday I should hit 1000km for May. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49653128

« Reply #23509 on: 28 May, 2020, 09:28:37 pm »
A post dinner pootle. Adds another 16 miles to the tally putting me at just under 300 miles for May.

A nice time of day for it temperature wise but oh my God so many little bugs in my eyes and up my nose and everywhere.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #23510 on: 28 May, 2020, 11:32:48 pm »
Yep, I went for a sunset ride (26km via Wittenham Clumps), and on the way back near the Thames... bugaggeddon.  Clouds of the things.   :-X :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #23511 on: 29 May, 2020, 07:47:32 am »
A touch of Cummings about “today”, but...
Wednesday I picked up some bits from the office in Brighton, which were small enough to collect by bike. I then went for a look at the sea. There was a chap with a penny, obvs. Then home up Elm Grove to Woodingdean and down the track to Falmer, which I haven’t done for years.

Yesterday I look the day off, and a 74km ride out to Pevensey Levels taking in lots of mostly lovely byway and bridleway. There was one section that looked much more like a footpath for trouser wearers (ie lined with nettles and brambles). I’m glad I didn’t meet a horse coming the other way! Speaking of trouser wearers, there were also three naked hikers on the levels. They were busy studying their map when I waved.

« Reply #23512 on: 29 May, 2020, 10:17:18 am »
Yesterday, after I spent the morning arguing about warranty on yet another cracked frame, (still ongoing) I had to go for a 70k spin after work just to clear the head.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49713563
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23513 on: 29 May, 2020, 03:22:18 pm »
62k trot round rough roads, obstreperous wind wanting to steer the bike.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23514 on: 30 May, 2020, 03:03:58 pm »
A 43 mile loop around Leith Hill and back. Absolutely glorious out there. Sun dappled lanes, a cooling breeze, some pot-hole free surfaces, everyone with a smile on their face, only one motorised moron (in a DPD van).

I could quite get to like this leisure cycling thing. This could be the first year since 1990 when I do more leisure miles than commuting miles.
Rust never sleeps

bairn again

« Reply #23515 on: 30 May, 2020, 03:53:48 pm »
Standard Edinburgh Road Club East Lothian circuit 52 miles ridden solo this morning. 

Dream conditions, warm with a light SE pushing me back home. 

Over 16 mph for the measured “clock to clock” bit (38 miles Tollcross - Musselburgh Race course)

On the way back I saw loads of folk going the other way heading out on two wheels towards the beaches.  For about 10 miles or so there was always cyclists in my line of vision coming towards me - couples, families etc.  Everybody on two wheels / two legs smiling and courteous, PC Murdoch a visible reminder for nobody to get wide as they say in Embra.  The sheer volume of cyclists forced motorists into patience and good humour too.  Why cant it always be like this? 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49816907

Out again after lunch to pick up takeaway dinner from L’Escargot Bleu and some beer from Montys.  Took the commuting bike and just dandered in.  Nice to catch up with weel kent faces at both establishments, the latter were talking fondly of the the times theyve hosted audax finishes. 

As I turned the corner near home I notched up 1000km for the month.  Now enjoying a fruity and full bodied Idris Melba (Pilot brewery).

Had worse days like.

« Reply #23516 on: 30 May, 2020, 07:16:11 pm »
Cracking day out on the bike. Headed out for a run to Biggar but carried on to Broughton then up the easy side of the Beeftub, didn't drop into Moffat though, i cut off at the Greenhillstairs rd and on up to Abington then home. Tough headwind all the way down to Broughton and bits of the tub but when i started heading north west I got a much need taillie home. Quiet roads all down to and through the borders. Enjoyed being on some lovely roads that I’ve not been on for a long long time. Just shy of 200k but good to know my legs can still take me that far.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49839302

Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #23517 on: 30 May, 2020, 07:36:19 pm »
Emergency eye-test drive to Embra because the PSOs lease on his flat has run out, and we needed to evacuate him.
Took the bikes and did a short spin to Limekilns, where I inspected the climbing crags.
(The climbers are not out PSOs.)

https://www.strava.com/activities/3536151939

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23518 on: 30 May, 2020, 09:25:10 pm »
a ride to the beach, followed by some comedy off-roading (incl. somersaulting, brambles, nettles - all part of fun). 235km in the sun, a day well spent.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #23519 on: 30 May, 2020, 11:46:30 pm »
Went out into the wind to St Andrews, forestry car parks still closed but did see someone turning at the 2nd junction.

Because of the wind, more cars and a surprising lack of people I used the cycle track. Seemed to be a few at west sands but nothing like what this weather would normally bring, I'd even say east sands was busier. Only janettas and the cheesy toast shack open as far as purveyors of tourist food goes and both had decent socially distanced queues.

Returned by Strathkinness high road, and dairsie.

Roads still reasonably quiet and oddly cars seem to be travelling in bunches, must be the Sunday drivers at the front...

Bit of bagging to do tomorrow but looks like I'll be a tad short of 1000k for the month. Not bad for my first full month back and being wary of injury regression.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #23520 on: 31 May, 2020, 03:10:39 am »
No. Too cold.

« Reply #23521 on: 31 May, 2020, 04:30:04 pm »
Went for a longer one in the Peak today, 122km 2389m. Snake through to Glossop, down to Buxton, up and over Axe Edge and the back through Bakewell.

Hot and busy. Glad I started at 7.30

https://www.strava.com/activities/3541818256

« Reply #23522 on: 31 May, 2020, 05:09:36 pm »
Took a short spin down to my favourite local sustrans route , just out of lockdown 3 days ago.

The round-the-reservoir part is usually popular on a sunday afternoon but not by 10am is it  heaving like a seaside promenade. So sat and appreciated the scenery then rode home - minus the loop around the resevoir.

« Reply #23523 on: 31 May, 2020, 06:10:39 pm »
86miles around the Hampshire wield ( lovely part of the world) whitmore vale ,blackdown ,bexley hill and over the downs via harting hill lovely day out,quite roads and a panic lunch in binstead churchyard.

All in all a grand day out.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23524 on: 31 May, 2020, 07:13:54 pm »
Yep, went out and just got back. Sitting here with with my back-home cup of tea. People insist on sending me important emails on Sunday, otherwise I'd tell you about this tomorrow (aren't you lucky!(!)).

Put yesterday's leftover pasta into a plastic container, mixed with yummy tomato pesto. Put that into a pannier along with a thermos of tea, bottle of water, etc. Went out on the Sequoia in my Swrve shorts (more later) and an old t-shirt, cos casual Sunday. Tytherington, Rockhampton, lunch in a field, across to Hill, along the river (too many people), Cowhill, home.

Somewhere in Gaunt's Earthcott my eye was caught by something protruding from my chainset. Oh look, one of the bolts that holds on the inner ring is coming loose. About 2/3 loose. I'd better fix that. And when I did, I discovered another bolt was completely missing!!!!  :o Thank goodness it's a five-bolt chainring. Pretty sure I've got some spares, so that's my task.

Almost forgot, the Swrve shorts. They're 3/4 actually. They're comfortable in cut and lack of seams and so on, and much better than mtb-style baggy Humvees, because they're narrow enough in the cuff not to flap and catch on bottles and so on. But the material is too thick and synthetic in this weather: Swrve's "durable cotton" is actually 45% nylon and spandex.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.