Author Topic: Solvent selection  (Read 2681 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Solvent selection
« Reply #25 on: 05 April, 2021, 12:12:35 am »
How about some newspapers on the floor under the bike?  ::-)

Assumes you have some newspapers lying around, and this is 2021.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 05 April, 2021, 12:25:44 am »
How about some newspapers on the floor under the bike?  ::-)

Assumes you have some newspapers lying around, and this is 2021.

The Gemeente send me one every so often, I don't understand anything written in it, and have yet to work out a way to not get it...

But in reality I have some big cardboard boxes that some ikea stuff came in, that I use to cover surfaces such as the floor and the desk when doing anything messy.

Also, I have one of those plastic matts that you put on carpet so that wheely chairs don't destroy the carpet, I do a lot of my work on this, and it's basically a wipe clean surface.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 05 April, 2021, 10:45:59 am »
Whereas in the past you had to pay for newspapers, in 2021 they are available free of charge. Probably not in sufficient quantities for mx but should be enough for most cycle-related fettling. (Also, QG, I really think you should have a go at learning Dutch... )
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: 05 April, 2021, 10:50:49 am »
Whereas in the past you had to pay for newspapers, in 2021 they are available free of charge. Probably not in sufficient quantities for mx but should be enough for most cycle-related fettling. (Also, QG, I really think you should have a go at learning Dutch... )

I'm learning, slowly, but I am learning.

Dank je

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #29 on: 05 April, 2021, 10:52:29 am »
 :thumbsup:

(I guess it's probably much harder to learn Dutch by living in NL than eg Polish by living in Poland, simply because so many Dutch people speak good English. But there's probably a similar good reaction to struggling foreigners for the same reason, not many people learn those languages, compared to say France and Spain being flooded with tourists speaking bad French and Spanish)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 05 April, 2021, 03:07:49 pm »
Whereas in the past you had to pay for newspapers, in 2021 they are available free of charge.

Not around here they're not.  Apart from the occasional bit of party political propaganda disguised as a local newspaper, and the Metro, which only appears on trains.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #31 on: 05 April, 2021, 03:30:16 pm »
No? We've got a couple of local news outlets (24/7 and the Cable) which are mostly online but also get printed on a possibly-quarterly basis and placed in the usual suspect outlets (such as The Hippy Egg shop).

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #32 on: 05 April, 2021, 04:07:26 pm »

(I guess it's probably much harder to learn Dutch by living in NL than eg Polish by living in Poland, simply because so many Dutch people speak good English. But there's probably a similar good reaction to struggling foreigners for the same reason, not many people learn those languages, compared to say France and Spain being flooded with tourists speaking bad French and Spanish)
Amsterdam is apartently the worst place to try because they spot the accent and errors and switch to english.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #33 on: 05 April, 2021, 04:44:40 pm »

This is interesting enough for a separate topic (but I'll leave it to quixoticgeek to start that one, as she has more experience of trying to learn Dutch, I'm a native speaker). It is quite complicated. A (Russian) friend on mine, whom I've known for 15 years and who has been living in the Netherlands for almost 20 years, speaks Dutch quite well by now, but we still converse in English. The issue is that she's still has a better command of the English language than her command of Dutch is (or will ever be?).

« Reply #34 on: 05 April, 2021, 07:12:36 pm »

This is interesting enough for a separate topic (but I'll leave it to quixoticgeek to start that one, as she has more experience of trying to learn Dutch, I'm a native speaker). It is quite complicated. A (Russian) friend on mine, whom I've known for 15 years and who has been living in the Netherlands for almost 20 years, speaks Dutch quite well by now, but we still converse in English. The issue is that she's still has a better command of the English language than her command of Dutch is (or will ever be?).

NPK's european HQ being in NL we used to have a lot of contact with Dutch technicians. I rapidly learnt that there were dutch happy with english but equally there were some who were by far happier in german. The other thing I learnt was that just because ther english accent was perfect it didn't mean that they understood a word you were saying! (I have a similar problem with the french who assume that they have to speak awful english to me because they have problems understanding my lousy french accent; I have no problems understanding them!)