Author Topic: Strava  (Read 62138 times)

S2L

Re: Strava
« Reply #275 on: 23 May, 2020, 08:00:00 pm »

For a system that's basically a pusjotter for cycling/running based willy waving, oddly I'd prefer adverts, that I generally gloss over

As far as I aware it is the only repository of "best efforts" up given segments, some of which are of interest to me. For as long as you can't put a number on your back, it's the most meaningful way to see where one stands in the pecking order, including breakdowns for time of the year, age group etc..
Losing that function, leaves the social media aspect only

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #276 on: 23 May, 2020, 08:31:29 pm »

For a system that's basically a pusjotter for cycling/running based willy waving, oddly I'd prefer adverts, that I generally gloss over

As far as I aware it is the only repository of "best efforts" up given segments, some of which are of interest to me. For as long as you can't put a number on your back, it's the most meaningful way to see where one stands in the pecking order, including breakdowns for time of the year, age group etc..
Losing that function, leaves the social media aspect only

RWGPS has some sort of segment function, I've paid less attention to them than the strava ones, but thne I've only really much cared about my own segement times as a way of realizing that I'm currently a fat lazy oaf compared to the speed machine I once tried to be*.

* I was never all that fast, but it was still quite a bit faster than now.

Davef

« Reply #277 on: 04 June, 2020, 07:14:48 pm »
Well strava seems to have gone a bit nutty. A ride from 2017 which used to have an average speed of 23.2km/h for 171km now has me hurtling round at 232km/h in 44 minutes. It has not surprisingly been flagged as I have grabbed a few koms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #278 on: 04 June, 2020, 07:26:14 pm »
Every dog has its day.

I did try Strava for a bit but I am quite happy with the info I get from Wahoo Elemts so I cut the link.  It doesn't matter to me who is KoM! 
Move Faster and Bake Things

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #279 on: 04 June, 2020, 07:39:09 pm »
It doesn't matter to me who is KoM!

Words of a loser.  ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #280 on: 04 June, 2020, 08:37:24 pm »
It doesn't matter to me who is KoM!

Words of a loser.  ;)

Nah, maybe he's more interesting in being the top of the RWGPS segment leaderboards. :-p

« Reply #281 on: 04 June, 2020, 10:49:34 pm »
 Dont mind paying for Strava, no such thing as a free lunch. 😄  What would you do if your GPS was bricked if a subscription was not paid. Bet most would pay up, can see this happening in the future.

« Reply #282 on: 05 June, 2020, 12:19:46 pm »
That's not quite the same thing.

If I'd been given a GPS for free that suddenly needed a subscription to work then that would be closer to the analogy. I'd also be equally unconcerned.

If I'd paid for Strava and then found I needed to pay twice as much to keep the functionality going I'd be annoyed. Likewise if I'd paid £300 for a GPS and had it run fine for 5 years only to then find I need to suddenly pay £50 a year to keep it running. That kind of bait-and-switch is bad for repuation.

Anyway, I think Strava are having some interesting times behind the scenes at the moment. I've had no segments appear on any runs since the morning of May 31st (morning run fine, evening walk nope). Doesn't seem to be limited to the freeloaders either, others on the trial subscription and paid members are reporting problems too, although it isn't affecting everyone.

(This is not about the segment leaderboards, this is about the segment times themselves.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #283 on: 05 June, 2020, 12:21:45 pm »
Yeah, it took longer than usual (~5 minutes rather than 30 seconds) for segment times to appear on the ride I uploaded yesterday.  Presumably the backend's overloaded for some reason.

« Reply #284 on: 05 June, 2020, 12:25:24 pm »
Yeah, it took longer than usual (~5 minutes rather than 30 seconds) for segment times to appear on the ride I uploaded yesterday.  Presumably the backend's overloaded for some reason.

It's been 5 days so far on some of my activities. It's the same route I've run 20 times before so I know there are segments there.

Maybe the backend processing works on a LIFO to keep the instant gratification generation happier.

« Reply #285 on: 05 June, 2020, 12:27:04 pm »
They surely have an enormous AWS bill from doing all the segment matching jiggery pokery. The statement they put out even mentioned wanting to cut back on backend processing costs. Maybe they've scaled it back too far.

Davef

« Reply #286 on: 05 June, 2020, 12:28:21 pm »
I uploaded a ride yesterday and initially it said I had 727 achievements which I thought was impressive. They have now all disappeared and it is listing 740 segments with no achievements. Each segment is repeated 4 times.

Davef

« Reply #287 on: 05 June, 2020, 12:30:00 pm »
Perhaps it is all the requests of people asking for their historical archives.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #288 on: 05 June, 2020, 12:38:10 pm »
I uploaded a ride yesterday and initially it said I had 727 achievements which I thought was impressive. They have now all disappeared and it is listing 740 segments with no achievements. Each segment is repeated 4 times.

Sounds like somebody broke something, and it's playing catchup putting it right...

« Reply #289 on: 05 June, 2020, 12:45:04 pm »
They surely have an enormous AWS bill from doing all the segment matching jiggery pokery. The statement they put out even mentioned wanting to cut back on backend processing costs. Maybe they've scaled it back too far.

I helped a friend with something similar years ago. They had a compute intensive problem that they offloaded to the cloud and were racking up significant bills for. They poured thousands of person hours into minimising this, they rebuilt their compute package so it could be run on AWS, Azure and GCE clouds and then wrote huge amounts of support scripting to optimise the usage based on cheap servers available with spot pricing, etc, trying to make sure it was as cheap as possible (e.g. suddenly a chunk of Azure opens up much cheaper than the existing AWS hosts so switch new work units over to Azure, etc). The layers of abstraction they'd had to implement to do this were quite impressive.

When I looked at it I asked them if they'd looked at optimising the actual code they were running. Blank faces. Nope. "It's as efficient as we think we can make it." Within a couple of hours we'd found a few ways to make it 25% more efficient. This alone saved more than they'd managed to save by server pricing optimisation. In a couple of days we'd made it ~80% more efficient than it was previously.

One bit of code they had relied upon finding the standard deviation of a large set of numbers that came from their computed figures (small set of inputs to the compute engine, big calculations generating huge amounts of data that was then boiled down to a few small numbers, small output back). Because they didn't know any better they'd assumed that you can only compute the SD of a series of numbers with two passes through the numbers - one to find the mean and then a second pass to compute the SD based on that mean. A little bit of maths showed that you can compute the SD of a dataset with one pass through it (computing two different values along the way and then performing a simple calculation at the end). Just that simple thing was responsible for a huge chunk of the eventual savings.

Who knows how well optimised Strava's code is, but spending $$$$ on more AWS is sadly often a lot easier to justify than spending $$ on a thorough code review.

([EDIT] I also introduced them (not Strava) to the concept of a hybrid system where you have a certain amount of processing capacity in house and then use the cloud for peak/burst/overflow capacity. No-one likes to run servers in house but we showed that we could take the typical baseline load (somewhere below 50%) and run it for a fraction of the cost of the cloud providers with some relatively cheap commodity hardware stuck in the server room of their office even assuming the hardware would be complete toast and thrown away after just 2 years. It was also architected so that turning off their office based processing power would just mean that it all defaulted back to the original case of running in AWS/Azure/GCE so they weren't done over by localised network issues, power failures, office moves or someone accidentally hitting the BRS.)

« Reply #290 on: 05 June, 2020, 01:59:46 pm »
https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042581811-Segment-Matching-and-Achievement-Delays

Nice suggestion of "Get out of the boat and get back in the boat." to try and fix it though.

« Reply #291 on: 05 June, 2020, 02:20:07 pm »
I've used strava for two cycles the last week. I've never used for rides before as only started using it for running which I started at beginning of lock down

It's failed both times. Just stops mid ride and is effectively off when I get home. When I reopen the app it attempts to recover and starts to record again

Any suggestions why. I've not had problems with runs of around an hour but the ride tracking nehasnt lasted an hour before crashing

« Reply #292 on: 05 June, 2020, 02:32:19 pm »
It's most likely being killed for either memory or power saving reasons. It's not the fault of the app developers - iOS and Android are both very aggressive about doing so and don't give the apps or users any ability to override

iOS was good for a period but has gone downhill recently. Some Android handset makers have their own power saving systems that they make very hard to switch off.

« Reply #293 on: 05 June, 2020, 03:56:27 pm »
On Wednesday afternoon there was also an outage of Strava.  It’s going well for them.

« Reply #294 on: 05 June, 2020, 05:17:29 pm »
It's most likely being killed for either memory or power saving reasons. It's not the fault of the app developers - iOS and Android are both very aggressive about doing so and don't give the apps or users any ability to override

iOS was good for a period but has gone downhill recently. Some Android handset makers have their own power saving systems that they make very hard to switch off.
It has to be said, Elemnt (and BOLT/ROAM) runs android! But obviously that's modified, with one app holding focus.

Davef

« Reply #295 on: 05 June, 2020, 06:27:28 pm »
As many of the devices recording are “segment aware” this could largely be done on trusted clients.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #296 on: 05 June, 2020, 06:42:13 pm »
https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042581811-Segment-Matching-and-Achievement-Delays

Nice suggestion of "Get out of the boat and get back in the boat." to try and fix it though.
Don't do this if you can hear banjos.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #297 on: 07 June, 2020, 09:14:42 pm »

Strava - I don’t currently pay them, though I do pay veloviewer and made the odd voluntary donation to mycyclinglog which I used before as a, well, log. As a software developer I’m ok with paying for software when I’ve established it’s value. Paying with money, as opposed to adverts or selling data I create.

I do look at the bits where I’ve gone faster than before, but I don’t think I trouble any of the leaderboards. I don’t currently use an HRM (but might one day) or plan my routes there. I like the social side, seeing what friends away from here are up to. I’m not sure which of those features I like enough to pay for.

So that aged well...
I'm feeling enthusiastic about this at the moment and got myself a heart rate monitor, and a Strava sub to keep everything in one place.

And then, today, I apparently got to trouble a leaderboard. 8th place on a 2.4km bit of trail. I could have been 4th if I hadn't stopped to take a photo and a second stop for a pee behind a bush.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #298 on: 03 July, 2020, 09:09:07 am »

The new default map render has no railway lines and no stations on it. This makes it really difficult to plan a ride to a train station. Not sure what the person who made this decision was thinking. Not pleased.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #299 on: 03 July, 2020, 12:39:24 pm »
The new default map render has no railway lines and no stations on it. This makes it really difficult to plan a ride to a train station. Not sure what the person who made this decision was thinking. Not pleased.

They're probably USAnian.

Or work for a TOC.