Author Topic: Badges  (Read 23757 times)

LindaG

Badges
« on: 20 April, 2010, 02:18:14 pm »
Does anyone fork out for these when they've done an event?  We're thinking of doing a ride in the near future, that would qualify me for a bronze 'Grimpeur' AAA badge.  I covet this thing somewhat as it has mountains on it and I won't get many chances of one.

And is it obligatory to buy Carradice objects to pin these to?

Re: Badges
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2010, 02:27:37 pm »
If you would like one, go for it.  I think that the badges are more popular on the 100k audaxes, and AAA events, than they are on the longer rides.  Each year I have a couple of people wanting a badge on completing the Upper Thames 200.  The badges are not expensive.  Sometimes the organiser will have some badges available on the day.  Others (and I'm afraid this includes me) take the orders, and send the badges with the validated cards.  Be careful to distinguish between "badge" and "medal".  I have had requests for badges where I subsequently discovered the requirement was actually for a medal.

I keep thinking I ought to stitch my RRTY badge(s) to my Carradice, but I'm loathe to add stitching holes.  Could glue it on, I suppose.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2010, 02:40:24 pm »
I collected many cloth badges, which I stitched to my AUK jersey.
I don't think I'd be so keen to do this on a more modern garment.

« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2010, 02:53:11 pm »
Why yes, I'm really proud of my modest collection of (two) AAA medals but I daren't pin them to anything on the bike because the extra weight might stop me getting up any hills.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2010, 02:57:43 pm »
I will figure out a way of making my ACP Super Randonneur medal into a head tube badge

« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2010, 03:17:54 pm »
We sell around 50 medals and 20 cloth badges a month.

The medals are now undated - for the past few seasons they had a year date on.  The plan is to have a brilliant new design for the 2011-12 season, once stocks of the present design run out.

The Grimpeur medals, especially silver and gold, are actually a very nice medal for the money.  The bronze is a bit gothic.

Cloth badges now belong to a bygone age. The present design, which are circular and perhaps 3 1/2 inches across seem far too big to me.

At the end of last season, we had an order from an AUK for  abt a dozen 200km medals, one for each event he had ridden during the season.  Some people obviously take them very seriously.

Keith

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2010, 03:47:05 pm »
I usually sell about 2 distance medals and 2 Grimpeur medals per event; I always buy one of each beforehand so riders can see what they are getting; I've never sold a cloth patch (and the only "distance" rather than special award one I ever had got cut up in the ambulance)

the dated ones were a good idea but I think most riders are happy to have one of each "design".

the newest ones

the "Autobahn" ones

the nicest ones; I have a black 150 one of these off Pam when she was clearing them out; did they make a whole series of black ones? ( I know this is a B/W photo, my 200 one is red)

« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2010, 03:49:54 pm »
I have never bought a badge, I am not a trophy person. I have managed to collect some free ones though, or ones that are included in the entry fee. I won two too, the CTC DA Award and Club Award

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 20 April, 2010, 03:53:42 pm »
I buy one for each different event I complete but I wouldn't want more than one of any type (unless a nicer design comes out maybe)

My SR medal looks like something they'd present to the President of the USA

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 20 April, 2010, 03:59:14 pm »

the nicest ones; I have a black 150 one of these off Pam when she was clearing them out; did they make a whole series of black ones? ( I know this is a B/W photo, my 200 one is red)

The black 'soccerball' series was in 2000, the coloured ones were after that.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #10 on: 20 April, 2010, 04:05:18 pm »

???
Being a bit of a trophy person, I got the set of 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 of this design in 2000. They were all black and white but getting, appropriately enough, progressively darker as the distance increased. The only coloured one of that design I have is the SR2000.
I'll do a fotie later if you want?
EDIT: cross posted with LittleWheelsandBig
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

LindaG

« Reply #11 on: 20 April, 2010, 04:07:03 pm »
Ooh, lovely!  I didn't realise they changed every year. 

Riding a bike AND collecting medals, I'm a child again!   ;D ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 20 April, 2010, 04:09:31 pm »
Ooh, lovely!  I didn't realise they changed every year. 

Not every year, usually every PBP (next in August 2011).

The merit medals, badges and suchlike is rather Boy Scout-like.

Martin

« Reply #13 on: 20 April, 2010, 04:09:59 pm »

not quite; I have 4 of those type with the chain in the middle; all were old stock off Pam except for the 200. The 100 and the 150 have a coloured (or black) cross whereas the other two (of which the 200 is one) have 6 coloured blades although they are the same moulding. Edit; if you look back at the old medals they varied which bits of the chainset were black and white with eack distance.

and then there are the ride ones; BCM, Dorset Coast, Battle and Back. I put all mine in a frame (not on the wall, I just keep it in a cupboard) which is a good idea as it is full so I don't have to buy any more

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 20 April, 2010, 04:22:30 pm »

not quite; I have 4 of those type with the chain in the middle; all were old stock off Pam except for the 200. The 100 and the 150 have a coloured (or black) cross whereas the other two (of which the 200 is one) have 6 coloured blades although they are the same moulding. Edit; if you look back at the old medals they varied which bits of the chainset were black and white with eack distance.

In 2000 all distances were variations on black and white combinations.  For 2001-2003, the sub-200 distances remained black and white, the 200+ medals were combinations of various colours and white.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #15 on: 20 April, 2010, 04:31:45 pm »
It's never occurred to me to buy a trophy.Having thought about it I will buy a badge if I ever manage to do a 200km ride.I tend to regard this as a "proper" audax distance & therefore something to aspire to.
Assuming my ride-retirement plan is postponed & I do longer rides I can foresee me buying a badge as appropriate so that I have 1x300,1x600 as "evidence"  for my own benefit.
Ideally I would like to achieve an SR badge & an LEL momento but there are one or two issues/obstacles to resolve/overcome yet.

« Reply #16 on: 20 April, 2010, 05:09:06 pm »
I once did a Denmead 150k. I thought it such an odd distance for an audax (actually ~160k to give a 100 miles ride so not that odd in the real world) that I bought a badge as I thought I'd never ride one again.

« Reply #17 on: 20 April, 2010, 05:28:18 pm »

Me too!  ;) Never had the chance to 'win' / 'earn' things since leaving Brownies (many, many, many years ago  :facepalm: Enjoy.
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

« Reply #18 on: 20 April, 2010, 05:29:50 pm »
Does anyone fork out for these when they've done an event? 

Not a badge, but I ticked the Medal box after finishing a 200 on the Brompton. I was pretty thoroughly thaxted at that point, too.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 20 April, 2010, 05:35:15 pm »
I rather like having tangible souvenirs of past rides.
I think there were definite medal colours associated with distances. 400k was green for example.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #20 on: 20 April, 2010, 05:39:31 pm »
For some reason this classic meme went through my head on reading the title.

Martin

« Reply #21 on: 20 April, 2010, 05:39:38 pm »
I rather like having tangible souvenirs of past rides.
I think there were definite medal colours associated with distances. 400k was green for example.

still are; light blue 100 red 200 yellow 300 green 400 dark blue 600 silver 1000, my 2009 200 one is red and yellow though, not sure if it's a mistake,

maybe it's worth something  ;D

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #22 on: 20 April, 2010, 06:13:19 pm »
Does anyone fork out for these when they've done an event?
I've got a box of medals and badges frm past events.  I won't list them as it goes on for a bit.  I wonder if it's a boy thing, given we used to collect football cards when younger.

And is it obligatory to buy Carradice objects to pin these to?

The true fashionista makes themselves an audax belt of honour.     For the menfolk, I imagine it looks like this <CLICKY>.  For the femalefolk, a rather more decorative concoction, like this <CLICKY>.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #23 on: 20 April, 2010, 06:46:50 pm »
did they make a whole series of black ones?

For year 2000 only.  Pix here   and here.
then in 2001 they went to the usual colourways as here.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #24 on: 20 April, 2010, 08:59:56 pm »
I am bit confused about badges. Do you have to be a member of Audax UK to get them? If you tick on the back of your Brevet card who do you give the money to?