Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 869414 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #2100 on: 16 April, 2012, 09:43:00 am »
Beware: Riders of such bikes seem to be very sensitive, hence why I tend to call it a 'Touchy'.  I know it couldn't happen to you, but, should a chap on a scruffy bike pass you every time you've shoved past at the lights, don't just RLJ to escape the shame, like several other riders of them seem to. ;D

(It is cool, though. ;) )
Getting there...

« Reply #2101 on: 16 April, 2012, 04:21:45 pm »
Considering getting a couple of these for the Surlys:

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/king-cage-top-cap-cage-mount-2587-p.asp

It's probably not a new idea, but I think it's really neat - recent experience has shown me that I'm more liable to drink if something is in easy reach, and this may be a factor on the Pugsley when I'm bouncing around on rough terrain and concentrating on the trail. Cass Gilbert rates them, which is a plus.

Got to be worth a punt for £8, I reckon.

I was looking at one of those for my US trip later in the year, but think a bottle there would interfere with the access to my bar bag, and possibly the controls for the GPS. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2102 on: 16 April, 2012, 04:34:53 pm »

It's probably not a new idea, but I think it's really neat - recent experience has shown me that I'm more liable to drink if something is in easy reach, and this may be a factor on the Pugsley when I'm bouncing around on rough terrain and concentrating on the trail. Cass Gilbert rates them, which is a plus.

Nice idea, sadly the previous owner of my Pugsley cut the steerer too short for one to fit - I assume it fits between the stem cap and stem?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2103 on: 16 April, 2012, 04:47:39 pm »

Nice idea, sadly the previous owner of my Pugsley cut the steerer too short for one to fit - I assume it fits between the stem cap and stem?
Looks that way, yes.
There's a slightly better picture here: http://www.kingcage.com/products-waterbottle-cages.html

« Reply #2104 on: 16 April, 2012, 05:00:55 pm »
Ik wist niet dat je Nederlanders waren! Mijn vaders familie is Nederlands

Please don't come away with the idea I can speak Dutch, but Google translate can ;)

Google Translate is pretty good, but there is a mistake in your first sentence. Google gave you the singular "you" (je or jij) where you are using the plural "you" (jullie).
Anyway, I should order a year supply of brake pads. Six or seven pairs? And two sets of chains. Probably also a steel 44T and a Rohloff 17T.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2105 on: 16 April, 2012, 05:22:31 pm »

Looks that way, yes.
There's a slightly better picture here: http://www.kingcage.com/products-waterbottle-cages.html

That's a shame because with the frame bag in I can't get to the bottle cages on the move. There's always the Camelback though...

In other news, just ordered a rear rack for the Pugsley as I rashly promised my son I'd take him cycle camping this summer and need some load carrying capability.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2106 on: 16 April, 2012, 06:22:16 pm »

That also looks potentially rather useful for the mounting of things on mudguardless ICE trikes...

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2107 on: 16 April, 2012, 07:07:25 pm »
Big box of shiny toys arrived at the office this afternoon for me to mess with this evening:

# rear rack, now fettled to bike after a trip to b&q for some longer bolts
# half a pair of Ortlieb panniers, the subject of an email to Wiggle for t'other half
# overshoes, which - barely just - fit over my SPD shoes
# and a pair of hopefully warm bib longs, which i'd better check fit properly.

more toys arriving tomorrow, hopefully!

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2108 on: 16 April, 2012, 11:13:55 pm »
Velo Orange french-threaded bb, for the Oscar Egg project.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2109 on: 17 April, 2012, 10:49:47 am »
Exposure Flash and Flare lights -- having seen the awesomeness of the Flare which Butterfly kindly loaned us on Saturday.

...plus the usual tubes'n'chains that we normally seem to be short of.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2110 on: 18 April, 2012, 10:40:26 am »
A couple more comedy-sized inner tubes for the Pug.
Well, they're ordered and paid for but if I see them before the end of the month I'll be lucky - they're on back-order at the distributors ::-)

« Reply #2111 on: 19 April, 2012, 11:22:48 am »
Magicshine battery bag, although I don't have a Magicshine battery. It's the right size for a 6V 4.5 AH Nimh pack (five 18670 cells soldered in series) I recently came into possession of.

A set of spare Magicshine O rings.

Brompton rear mudguard.

Four pump clips (two velcro straps through a plastic block, one for the frame tube, one for the pump or whatever) from Dealextreme.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2112 on: 19 April, 2012, 04:36:04 pm »
Exposure Flash and Flare lights -- having seen the awesomeness of the Flare which Butterfly kindly loaned us on Saturday.

They are pretty bright for such small lights, although the rechargeable batteries only last around four hours when they're on the continuous setting (after all, it's a small battery).

I carry a pair of these lights, and two complete sets of batteries for them, should anyone on a group ride suddenly find themselves with a failed light.

I just popped into CycleSurgery and bought a set of RaceBlades for Red, since it looks like it'll either be slightly drizzling, or at a minimum, the roads will be wet, for tomorrows FNRttC.  I'd rather avoid the splatter of crud up my back (although a lot of that is ameliorated by the Randonneur Rack acting as an impromptu mudguard).
Actually, it is rocket science.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2113 on: 19 April, 2012, 04:41:53 pm »

I just popped into CycleSurgery and bought a set of RaceBlades for Red, since it looks like it'll either be slightly drizzling, or at a minimum, the roads will be wet, for tomorrows FNRttC.  I'd rather avoid the splatter of crud up my back (although a lot of that is ameliorated by the Randonneur Rack acting as an impromptu mudguard).

His Leggship will not be amused :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2114 on: 19 April, 2012, 05:15:59 pm »
You did buy a rack at the same time, I hope ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #2115 on: 19 April, 2012, 06:33:14 pm »

Red already has one, an Arkel Randonneur Rack. ;D

... and like I've ever had an issue with mudguards, the only bike I've ever used on the FNRttC that doesn't have mudguards is Red.  I've used both Sid the Pompino and the Kaffenback with mudguards on the FNRttC.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2116 on: 19 April, 2012, 06:37:12 pm »
Just need to take a pannier full of cake, then ;)
Getting there...

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2117 on: 19 April, 2012, 06:59:06 pm »
Oh dear. I'm going to get in trouble, aren't I. :demon:

Depending on climatic conditions, I might ditch the guards if it's prudent but the rack is staying. I'll be slow and crap either way, and I need a healthy supply of cake...

Back on-topic: pondered over to Lidl after work and picked up two packs of spoke protectors. I may have a fettle later, if I get bored.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2118 on: 19 April, 2012, 07:07:04 pm »
I am always a bit slow and crap - although generally cheerful, which mitigates a lot.  My mudguards come off for nobody, and the rack won't be doing so again.... but I did make DAMN SURE that both were secure.

And not even I have ever taken a pannier full of cake on a FNRttC.

(a carrier bag full that I've sneaked into other_people's_luggage before the off on the other hand....  :D)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2119 on: 19 April, 2012, 07:12:33 pm »
If I was a native Londoner I'd consider doing it with just a rucksack, but seeing as I'm coming from Swindon I'll need a few more supplies. There may even be smuggled beer...

CL, if you're doing Londontown-Southend in a few weeks I might see you - I'll be at the back  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2120 on: 19 April, 2012, 08:00:11 pm »

Red already has one, an Arkel Randonneur Rack. ;D

... and like I've ever had an issue with mudguards, the only bike I've ever used on the FNRttC that doesn't have mudguards is Red.  I've used both Sid the Pompino and the Kaffenback with mudguards on the FNRttC.

When I read this kind of stuff I get this terrible terrible urge to turn up for a FNRttC with my mahoosive Caradice Super-C panniers. I could turn it into a camping trip!  :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2121 on: 19 April, 2012, 08:01:42 pm »
When I read this kind of stuff I get this terrible terrible urge to turn up for a FNRttC with my mahoosive Caradice Super-C panniers. I could turn it into a camping trip!  :demon:

It wouldn't be the first time...

« Reply #2122 on: 19 April, 2012, 08:35:30 pm »

Teethgrinder has certainly carried full camping kit on a FNRttC, and I doubt he's the only one.  I don't think Simon would complain about him carrying this sort of kit. :)

To be fair, Simon isn't against racks and mudguards, he's against them on bikes of people who he doesn't know are capable of cycling with them, which is a reasonable worry with some people.

I certainly remember one instance of a mudguard on a bike, which had been assembled by a shop, which was rattling awfully, and which was a major pain to sort out, mainly because the axle was too large a diameter for the fork, so was difficult to get out, and back in again.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2123 on: 19 April, 2012, 08:53:57 pm »
Presunktly  Risk minimisation, innit.  He's against things and ppl that will or may cause annoyance, irritation and delay to a large group of other riders.  And, obviously, against things that are sadly lacking in style, darling.  But he's prepared to tolerate me, so he can't be all that strict.

As I've said before - his ride, his rules.  And his sense of humour.  Which is most deliciously dry, I find.

(ETA - Southend?  Sadly not, dibdib.  Me in That LonDon onna bike?  So not happening, I'm afraid.  York-Hull I'm in tho... and am, I think, allowed to attempt Manchester-Morecambe if I reckon I'm able for it which is a little bit of a question mark at the mo.)

« Reply #2124 on: 19 April, 2012, 09:38:53 pm »
My Carradice panniers are the absolute epitome of cycling style!!!!