Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 869408 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #400 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:57:03 pm »
A new Minoura SpaceGrip for the front of the 'bent, following a fall-from-grace (and cheese-bending landing) while travelling in a Voyager.

Note to self; in future, dangle bike from REAR wheel on the hanger, rather than propping it upright with rear wheel on the ground, and securing pedal to hanger with an easily-snapped zip-tie.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

corshamjim

« Reply #401 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:01:08 pm »
Bought a nice shiny new 2011 Trek 7.5 fx in gloss black with midnight blue insets.  I'm determined to take this cycling more seriously now I don't have to work.

http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2011/xl/75fx_blackwhite.jpg

Funny you should mention it - a chap at work mentioned he is sorely tempted by one of those at the moment.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #402 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:35:37 pm »
A single spoke .... and the services of a man to fit it and true the wheel.  The man was 6 x cost of spoke  :'( 

Rob

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #403 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:59:22 pm »
I bought three spokes and the labour of myself to make the wheel roughly wheel-shaped.  I only needed one spoke, but I was replacing the second breakage already.  It's nature's way of telling me I need an S3X wheel ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #404 on: 21 September, 2010, 10:10:51 pm »

It's nature's way of telling me I need an S3X wheel

If you want to borrow one to make your mind up give me a shout.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #405 on: 21 September, 2010, 10:12:13 pm »
*shout!* ;D

Srsly, if you don't mind, I'd love to give it a play.  I'll PM you, chap :)
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #406 on: 21 September, 2010, 10:38:04 pm »
I thought about buying a bar bag.  But I didn't... not yet :)  Is October too early to ask for an early birthday pressie, when your birthday is in December?  I mean, I only got round to getting last years present (the panniers) in August....

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #407 on: 22 September, 2010, 12:33:57 am »
It's never too early,too late or too anything to be buying cycle stuff :)

« Reply #408 on: 22 September, 2010, 02:09:01 am »
I went nuts today and ordered an Ortleib bar bag and map case because I decided I liked this idea better to hold my Audax route sheet than an actual map holder gadget. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ortlieb_Ultimate_5_Classic_Bar_Bag/5360028247/  Guess which colour I picked  ;D (well I suppose you might have to have met me to know this!)

I then ordered a thing that I hope will be able to hold my Hope Vision 1 above said bar bag .. remains to be seen if it is strong enough.
   Acor Single Bracket Carbon Bar Extension - AHB2711 - £13.30 | Dotbike

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #409 on: 22 September, 2010, 08:43:39 am »
Did you also order the Ortlieb map case which fastens to the lid via  the integral snap-ons?

robbo6

« Reply #410 on: 22 September, 2010, 10:46:54 am »
My Sturmey-Archer Srf-3 hub has arrived.

« Reply #411 on: 22 September, 2010, 12:32:15 pm »
Did you also order the Ortlieb map case which fastens to the lid via  the integral snap-ons?

Yeah I ordered that too :)

Now all I need to think about getting for the winter is some sealskin socks, waterproof trousers and some kind of winterish tyres. Unfortunately I don't know anything about winterish tyres ... wonder if my Vittoria Rubino 28mm are up to the job, they have tread but not that much tread. Also I don't know if I should really admit this due to the jinx factor but I have never actually taken the tyres off a bike  :o

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #412 on: 22 September, 2010, 01:28:09 pm »
New bottom bracket.  No more creaky woes (hopefully).

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #413 on: 22 September, 2010, 01:43:25 pm »
1 Campag grear cable.

And a new wired bracket for my bike computer arrived today.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #414 on: 22 September, 2010, 02:08:38 pm »

I then ordered a thing that I hope will be able to hold my Hope Vision 1 above said bar bag .. remains to be seen if it is strong enough.
   Acor Single Bracket Carbon Bar Extension - AHB2711 - £13.30 | Dotbike

Thanks, I'd forgotten that I needed one of these. They were always out of stock last winter. managed to get the last one!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #415 on: 22 September, 2010, 02:14:52 pm »
I've got one to mount my Vision One below my Carradice.  The clamp is an odd shape, and I've had to pack it out with a bit of inner tube.  The bar itself is far too smooth (and a bit narrow), and the light slips round, so I've had to use another bit of rubber there.

Otherwise, it's a good strong mount.
Getting there...

« Reply #416 on: 22 September, 2010, 06:42:21 pm »
I've got one to mount my Vision One below my Carradice.  The clamp is an odd shape, and I've had to pack it out with a bit of inner tube.  The bar itself is far too smooth (and a bit narrow), and the light slips round, so I've had to use another bit of rubber there.

Otherwise, it's a good strong mount.

Thanks for the info :) My bar is a bit of an odd flat bar as its fat in the middle (31.8 mm) and gets narrower as it goes out so I think I should be able to find a bit that's the right diameter for the clamp. Will have to go cannibalise the BSO tyres for some nice rubbery padding out bits for the light clamp!

« Reply #417 on: 23 September, 2010, 07:15:15 pm »
Just bought some Shimano boots (MT91), a Park Boot, and a single inner tube to see what that type is like.

I hoping that the boots are the correct size, otherwise I'll be into return and reorder hell!
Actually, it is rocket science.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #418 on: 24 September, 2010, 07:42:53 pm »
dhb finchdean shorts at 38% off, I have a pair already and I thought they were good at original price, dhb legwarmers and some yellow fluro overshoes from in motion products.

bring on the winter!!

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #419 on: 24 September, 2010, 09:00:11 pm »
Confirmed my bike scheme order (something very like this but with a couple of mods)

« Reply #420 on: 26 September, 2010, 02:00:56 pm »
A gilet. I'd have used it yesterday but didn't want a baselayer all day.
Some of the kona chevron gloves as I can only find one of mine and they are really quite comfy with minimal padding.

I've not ordered a new satmap bike mount back (yet). At nearly £30 I need to look harder for the one I know I've got somewhere.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #421 on: 27 September, 2010, 06:43:34 pm »
Bought a bicycle workstand from Aldi on the way home tonight.  Three of these, along with plenty of other cycling stuff, left in the East Ham shop.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #422 on: 04 October, 2010, 10:48:20 am »
Yesterday, bought a Helly Hansen base layer and a lightweight Altura race cape.  More suitable for the coming weather.  Also ordered a 50T Miche Primato 1/8 Inch Advanced Track Chainring from Wiggle.  50:17 here I come - 48:17 has been too small.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #423 on: 04 October, 2010, 10:56:29 am »
Waiting for a delivery from Wiggle of new brake cables, gear cables, white  bar tape, and a set of red Hudz to go on the carbon Centaur levers bought off here from Vorsprung.

Oh and a Shimergo widget from JTek.

a great mind thinks alike

corshamjim

« Reply #424 on: 04 October, 2010, 01:01:46 pm »
Yesterday I bought a box of heat-shrink tubing of various sizes from Aldi.

I might eventually get around to re-doing the electrics for my dynamo now.  ::-)