Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 135339 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2019
« Reply #550 on: 28 January, 2019, 09:32:18 am »
Talgarth-Llangors-Bwlch-Llangynidr-Gilwern is another option to minimise distance on A roads
That is one clever option... basically you get rid of a climb at the cost of only 4 extra km...  :thumbsup:
In what way would one "get rid of a climb"? The figures I offered above suggest 7m of climb saved.
Talgarth to Chainbridge
Routesheet 2017/2018: 41.2k + 325m on A379 and A40 and through Abergavenny
Probable routesheet 2019: 41.3k + 413m on A379 and A40, then right at Crickhowell to A4077 to Gilwern, then B4246/B4269 through Llanfoist to Llanellen, and south on A4042 through Llanover and left to Chainbridge
@Somnolent's option to minimise A roads: 44.5k + 433m going via Llangorse and Bwlch to Llangynidr, then B4558 and staying on A4077 through Gilwern, then B4246/B4269 through Llanfoist to Llanellen, and south on A4042 through Llanover and left to Chainbridge

whosatthewheel

« Reply #551 on: 28 January, 2019, 12:07:43 pm »
When I look at the amended route, it seems like the climb is disappeared, replaced by some up and down and a lower gap through the Brecon Beacons mountains

That's what I meant

« Reply #552 on: 25 April, 2019, 09:51:44 pm »
Three months on and 23 days to go!
I've have refined the revised route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20922029?beta=false
Ritchie does not issue a gpx so this is probably as good as a route source (to export a gpx) that riders who depend on electronic navigation aids will get.
Note a 2019 planned change to the recommended route from 2018 is to come off the busy A40 at Crickhowell and go via Gilwern, Govilon, Llanfoist and Llanellen.

BCM 600km audax - exactly as per 2018 routesheet (+ 'south of River Usk' 2019 amdt @546km)
(http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-195/)
Notes:
1) Follows 2018 route south of Newtown going via Bwlch-y-sarnau getting off 'biker' A483.
2) Includes 2019 planned change  (details not yet published) - between Crickhowell and Usk: gets off A40, across the Usk and follow valley to LLanfoist, Llanellen and then across to Usk road (B4598).
Controls at Bronllys (72), LLanidloes (138), Dolgellau (King's 203), Menai (292), Dolgellau (King's 374), Aberhafesp (439) and Llandrindod Wells (492), plus 3 information controls (Machynlleth (170), Harlech (231) and Pen-y-pas (267) (road to Llanberis)

Revised last section: Talgarth, (A479/A40) Crickhowell, (A4077) Gilwern, (B4246) Govilon, Llanfoist, (B4269) Llanellen, cut across river turning onto the B4598 (to Usk) at The Hardwick PH.
There is a McDonalds in Llanfoist a few hundred yards off the route for the desperate, and I guess The Hardwick might attract some for a social afternoon/evening pint.

« Reply #553 on: 25 April, 2019, 10:28:52 pm »
Reuben’s 600, by the Amnesiac Auk (1993)

Reuben was born, as far as I am aware, in the village where he lives.  He lived with his parents until they died, and is still in the same house.  He keeps a dog, and, although he is careful about security and always locks up before going out, the dog-flap is quite large enough to admit a human of considerable size.

He has always been a cyclist.  He never had a driving licence, though rumour has it that he once, briefly, owned a car, to the terror of his neighbours.

He gets by with a bit of poaching, and odd-jobs around the village.

His bikes are a mixed lot.  His best bike was stolen from his shed, so he rides a nondescript road-frame.  The time-trial low-profile frame he bought from somewhere and equipped it with a 24” front wheel.  He had to use a BMX calliper on the front to reach the rim.  Someone suggested that perhaps it was built for a 26” wheel, but he got a friend to cut down the forks and re-braze the ends.  It certainly looks pretty radical now.  An ever-changing selection of hack bikes, bought as bargains from here and there, complete the stable.  Mechanicals are not his strong point, so they tend to leave his hands in a worse state than that in which they arrived.

Reuben’s nephew is often persuaded to deal with the trickier aspects of maintenance.  For example:  Having said that he needed a wheel truing, he arrived with a bagful of spokes, a hub, and a worn rim.  On one occasion it was pointed out to him that the binder bolt was missing from the stem of his bike.  Reuben said that, yes, he knew, and, in fact had removed it himself  – the stem was seized into the steerer, and he was hoping it would eventually work loose if he rode around like that.

He had tackled the occasional 100 or 200k audax event.  His tactic was to follow the other riders, as he found routesheets strangely impenetrable as to meaning.  He has been known, in fact, to get lost during a 25m time-trial, more than once.

The pinnacle of Reuben’s randonneuring efforts was the completion of the Bryan Chapman 600 in Wales. He had never ridden so far before, though he was a notably strong cyclist.  His nephew and others bombarded him with advice.  A clubmate told him he would need a cape. 
“I gave mine away,” He said, then, reflecting, “I’ve got another with a tear in it, though.”
Another said he needed lights.  He had seen a chap somewhere with a homemade, double-sided Sturmey-Archer hub dynamo (two welded together).  He spent weeks worrying, trying to remember who it was, and where.

The day came and he cadged a lift, very early on the morning, to the start.  Assembling his bike, he discovered that the old Eveready with its plastic handlebar clamp did not fit with the barbag.  He was dissuaded from attaching it to the fork, and it went in the bag. 

We set off (yes, I was riding too – my first 600).  It was hard work keeping Reuben down to our speed.  If we had allowed him to drop us, our chances of finding him again would have been remote.  We explained the need to conserve energy.  On a mountain road not far from  Aberystwyth the temperature dropped several degrees and a sleeting rain began.  We stopped to cape up.  Reuben, in a short-sleeved jersey, looked puzzled.
“I didn’t bring a cape,” He said.
We watched him turning a peculiar shade of purple, and shivering, as we descended.  One of our group had mechanical problems and so we stopped at a bike shop on the edge of a town.  The owner donated his Daily Mail to Reuben, who shoved it under his jersey. 

Our journey continued.  We took it in turns to shout at Reuben each time he started to increase the pace.  It grew late and dusk came.  It was time for lights.  Reuben’s best effort was to strap his front light to the top of the barbag, from whence it beamed faintly up at the trees.  He switched the rear one on; it seemed okay.  We set off and it went out.  His nephew rode alongside, tapping it.  It flashed a few times, then finally stayed on, only to fade gradually to nothing within half an hour.

The lights of the control at Menai were welcoming indeed.  It had started raining.  We ate, and dozed for a while, then set off Southwards.  I remember the strangely disorienting effect of bike lights dancing like flames as I climbed in front of a group on the Llanberis Pass.  Reuben’s light, of course, was pointing elsewhere.

It was daybreak when we reached Dolgellau.  I decided on an hour’s sleep and retired to a bunk.  Being woken almost instantly, as it seemed, and having to pull on cold wet clothes, ranks as one of most memorably unpleasant events of my cycling career.

Downstairs, Reuben was sitting, glassy-eyed, his head drooping, then jerking up, repeatedly.  I consumed a sizeable breakfast, wondering, vaguely, why he had not taken a bunk.

The rain had stopped.  We continued.  Reuben lost us on the climb out of Newtown, but we found him again on the descent.  Eventually we came to the Wye Valley, and, suddenly, lots of traffic.  Two youngsters on cheap mountain-bikes were climbing ahead of us.  I tried, but failed, to catch them.  The cars showed signs of impatience as we ground up the hill.  A little later Reuben stuck his left leg out, pedalling with his right.  He did it again.  He repeated this, and waved his leg around in the air.  He was suffering from hotfoot.  It slowed him down, and the rest of us were pleased that we did not have to shout at him any more.

At the finish, we had food and a doze, and then set off on our various journeys home.  Before we left, Reuben asked,
“How much did the bed at the hostel cost?”
“Nothing.”  Was the reply.
“Oh.” He said, deep in thought.

I got the bug.  He never rode another one.

« Reply #554 on: 30 April, 2019, 07:14:05 pm »
There was some discussion before and after last year's about the merits of the routes south of Newtown.
In 2017 the routesheet described the direct A483 to Cross Gates (junction of A483/A44). That's 37.9k + 511m.
In 2018 the recommended route included a diversion off the A483 west to Bwlch-y-sarnau: which added 2.0k + 85m and that'll be recommended this year.
There are roads to the east of the A483 which also get a rider off the A483, shown on this short route:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29858611?beta=false
a) the Middle Dolfor road - which is 2.3k shorter (same climb but some steeper short climbs, as opposed to the steady gradient and bends of the A483 so attractive to bikers) - I have ridden this and the road is fine.
b) The B4355, then minor road due south from Dolfor to Llanbadarn Fynnydd: 1.4k shorter but 54m more climb. I have not ridden this.
c) 'Criggin Road', a mile after Llanbadarn Fynnydd rejoining the A483 just short of Llanbister: 1.3k less but 28m more climb. I have not ridden this and there's a short steep (one chevron) downhill in it.
In total those choices get one off the A483 for 22.8km, slightly more than the 21km the Bwlch-y-sarnau diversion avoids.

« Reply #555 on: 05 May, 2019, 09:16:56 am »
I won't be doing the ride this year. However I booked a room on Friday and Sunday at the Severnview Travelodge. Both are twin rooms and I am happy to let them go at cost price.
Friday 17th May £47.50
Sun 19th May £37.50

PM me if interested.

« Reply #556 on: 06 May, 2019, 07:44:52 pm »
Having just received the routesheet, I've checked (caveat randonneur) the route I offered last month agrees: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20922029?beta=false
I recommend carrying mapping and the routesheet as well as any electronic navigational device.
Note the 2019 change to the recommended route is to come off the busy Sunday afternoon/evening A40 at Crickhowell (546km) and go via Gilwern, Govilon, Llanfoist and Llanellen. Controls at Bronllys (72), LLanidloes (138), Dolgellau (King's 203), Menai (292), Dolgellau (King's 374), Aberhafesp (439) and Llandrindod Wells (492), plus 3 information controls (Machynlleth (170), Harlech (231) and Pen-y-pas (267) (road to Llanberis)
Revised last section: Talgarth, (A479/A40) Crickhowell, cross Usk and A4077 to Gilwern, (B4246) Govilon, Llanfoist, (B4269), L in Llanellen, L onto A4042 then R, cut across river turning onto the B4598 (to Usk) at The Hardwick PH where R to Usk.

« Reply #557 on: 07 May, 2019, 05:17:40 pm »
A recommended detour: At Llandildoes, instead of taking B4518 past the Clywedog lake on your left, take the minor road to Geufron, through the Hafren forest and emerge back on the B4518 just north of Staylittle. You could even divert from there to the lakeside car park, look left at the prominent tree with wooden gantry and watch the Osprey.

If you time it right and re-coincide with Ajax Bay you might get to hear him murder a few Welsh village names, such as 'Dylife' and 'Ceinwys'  :thumbsup:

« Reply #558 on: 07 May, 2019, 08:39:59 pm »
I want to hear him pronounce "Llandildoes"!

S2L

« Reply #559 on: 07 May, 2019, 09:27:20 pm »
Clan dildo

« Reply #560 on: 07 May, 2019, 09:39:24 pm »
A recommended detour: At Llandildoes, instead of taking B4518 past the Clywedog lake on your left, take the minor road to Geufron, through the Hafren forest . . .
Good to get a bite from @158Tester.
Great to ride with you for the first part of Brevet Cymru, @HF, and inter alia have the benefit of your advice on the names of these Welsh hamlets. Hopefully it distracted you from the pain in your backside, the severity of which seemed to subside as I bad you farewell in the West End courtyard, half way through your fish and chips.
Funny, I was this very day considering the Hafren forest diversion to add a few km on the way to Mahuntleth: I've not taken that route before. Also goes past the bunkhouse I'm considering using as the first sleep stop on an SR (Cambrian 6c) attempt in the summer:
https://www.llanidloes.com/hafren-forest-bunkhouse/
ETA: On route variations: shortly after the first control at Bronllys, I advocate getting off the fast A470 trunk road to Builth Wells and taking the 'back road' through Boughrood (east side of R Wye) - this is the route going south 400km later.
"digwyddodd gwall wrth brosesu'r gyfarwyddeb hon"

Edd

« Reply #561 on: 08 May, 2019, 09:49:27 am »
There's another detour I'm also thinking about, coming south along the A470 through Dinas Mawddwy you can turn left at the roundabout by the petrol station onto the A458 then right onto a small road through Pandy. Cycled it recently and it is not a bad road

« Reply #562 on: 08 May, 2019, 09:50:47 am »
Yes, Ajax Bay, the hours passed quickly thanks to your enthusiasm and engaging conversation. Sorry to abandon you at Llandovery but constant nagging pain didnt seem an attractive proposition for another 12-15 hours.

Plus my glutes hurt  ;D

As discussed, I shall be out on the weekend of BCM, doing a 500k ish route up to either Beddgelert or Llanberis and back, so I may see you at some point as my route will intersect

« Reply #563 on: 08 May, 2019, 09:52:29 am »
There's another detour I'm also thinking about, coming south along the A470 through Dinas Mawddwy you can turn left at the roundabout by the petrol station onto the A458 then right onto a small road through Pandy. Cycled it recently and it is not a bad road

Done it myself, but actually that section of main road doesn't really merit avoiding in my view. Its quiet, wide, and scenic.

« Reply #564 on: 08 May, 2019, 11:06:50 am »
Everything booked and ready to go.  Legs all seem to be working again.  Just the small matters of running my 300 and route-checking the 400 beforehand; I could really do with a few more days in the week.

« Reply #565 on: 08 May, 2019, 11:11:23 am »
Is the GPX of the route they emailed round a few days ago available online anywhere?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #566 on: 08 May, 2019, 11:31:20 am »

Done it myself, but actually that section of main road doesn't really merit avoiding in my view. Its quiet, wide, and scenic.

The Pandy road isn't great, sticking to the A road is faster.  If it's wet that back lane would be nasty.  Every time I've ridden the A road - at 7 or 8 Sunday morning - it is traffic free

S2L

« Reply #567 on: 08 May, 2019, 11:35:08 am »
Is the GPX of the route they emailed round a few days ago available online anywhere?

« Reply #568 on: 08 May, 2019, 11:54:55 am »

hahaha

« Reply #569 on: 08 May, 2019, 01:35:56 pm »
Who is 'they', please? The organiser has said: "Route: You can ride whatever roads you like as long as you go through the controls.  There is no official GPS route."
Is the detail of the toilet issues in Dolgellau they emailed round a few days ago available online anywhere?

« Reply #570 on: 08 May, 2019, 01:39:49 pm »
 ::-)

« Reply #571 on: 08 May, 2019, 05:38:49 pm »

Is the detail of the toilet issues in Dolgellau they emailed round a few days ago available online anywhere?

I think it said 'adjust your diet to avoid blocking the pipes'.

« Reply #572 on: 08 May, 2019, 06:43:26 pm »
A recommended detour: At Llandildoes, instead of taking B4518 past the Clywedog lake on your left, take the minor road to Geufron, through the Hafren forest and emerge back on the B4518 just north of Staylittle. You could even divert from there to the lakeside car park, look left at the prominent tree with wooden gantry and watch the Osprey.
Another recommendation for this diversion.
I've used a couple of times.  It's a lovely road, and I don't like anything with a chevron on it!

« Reply #573 on: 13 May, 2019, 03:47:18 pm »
After Ritchie's note about possible A379 road closure between Crickhowell and Talgarth, I have (on enquiry) had a call from Highways Wales who 'confirm' that the complete road closure still in place will be lifted tomorrow and will not be repeated until "after the Royal Welsh" (July).http://www.rwas.wales/future-royal-welsh-show-dates/
Having said that the road via Bwlch and through Llangorse is very little longer and nicely undulating.

Has anyone ridden the road up the Nantmor valley towards Nant Gwynant (turning NE off the A4085 before Beddgelert) on the way north to Pen-y-pass? Bit more climb but avoids 7 miles of A road.

Ephemera: https://app.photoephemeris.com/?ll=53.118090,-4.129230&dt=20190518000700%2B0100&z=12&spn=0.07,0.30&center=53.1181,-4.1292
Moonrise 20:41 (Fear conditions might not allow us to take full advantage of the full moon.)
Sunset (Llanberis) 21:13
Sunrise (Dolgellau) 05:12

« Reply #574 on: 13 May, 2019, 04:22:52 pm »

Has anyone ridden the road up the Nantmor valley towards Nant Gwynant (turning NE off the A4085 before Beddgelert) on the way north to Pen-y-pass? Bit more climb but avoids 7 miles of A road.

Hahahahahahaha! Er, yes. It is indeed a little bit more climb. It is a rideable road (i.e. with tarmac). I'm not sure why you'd particularly want to avoid the A road that goes from LLanfrothen to Beddgelert though - it's hardly a busy road.