Author Topic: Miltonduff Audaxes  (Read 392 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Miltonduff Audaxes
« on: 15 April, 2024, 06:51:34 pm »
Valkyrie, occasionally OTP, organised a 100 and 200 from Miltonduff near Elgin in the NE of Scotland last weekend.

Mrs F rode the 100k Away to the Spey,
and I rode the  200k Farr from Elgin.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11182967624

This is the first 200k+ I've ridden since LEL in 2022 due to medical reasons. I was a bit apprehensive, but it went fine.
"I'm no' deid yet."

It was well supported by local clubs and riders, Elgin and Inverness clubs being the most visible.
I made a solo appearance for my club, Deeside.
There were several Audax Ecosse caps and mudflaps on display!

Unusual feature was the appearance of a naked rambler at one point on the ride.
Walking along an old road now not used by cars, but now a cycle / pedestrian way.
Thing is, he didn't have a backpack or walking poles or hat or any of the accoutrements that the usual suspect has.
He was just a nekkid bloke walking along a road.
(He was not barefoot, he had trainers on.)
I gave him a nod and raised finger same as I would anyone else.
Seemed a rather over-public place for that, and also rather cold!

Thanks to N. for organising.
(The audax, not the nekkid man.)

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
Re: Miltonduff Audaxes
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2024, 10:33:31 pm »
Mrs S and I ventured north for the 100km event on our tandem.

Drove up Saturday, dinner in Elgin before an early rise and the ride out to the start.

Galloped round after a slow start. 

100% new roads for us both - cracking cycling country too - made me jealous and keen to return to do longer events. 

After gallons of tea and kilos of cake we headed off for Embra about 1630 yesterday.

Valkyrie kindly gave me a miniature of Miltonduff malt as a thank you for being his mentor for his reintroduction to Organising.     

Good to hear (a) that you got round the 200 and (b) that you are no deid yet.   

A grand day all round, though Mrs S may now be disappointed to learn that yon rambler didn't make an appearance on the 100km. 

« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2024, 11:18:07 pm »
We also tandemed the 100.  It was a lovely route, an excellent couple of events by the sounds of it.  Our first return to the area since our son moved out of Dufftown a couple of years back. 

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2024, 06:48:30 pm »
Glad everyone seemed to enjoy both rides, it's very likely that I'll put these on again next year. If anyone is interested in a bit more detail about the 200 route one of my Elgin CC clubmates made a wee film about it, his very first audax - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53m2lT0elNg
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances