Author Topic: Rate my crema  (Read 12446 times)

Re: Rate my crema
« Reply #75 on: 30 June, 2011, 09:44:25 am »

And no, I've never made coffee out of dogshit.

I'm pretty sure that some cafes that I've been in do just that.

AndyH

« Reply #76 on: 01 January, 2012, 03:32:29 pm »
Well ?

Hot Flatus' Rancilio Silvia is now in my possession, and in my impatience to use it I modified my cuisinart grinder like this to get a fine enough grind.

A few shots went down the drain, but this one was pretty good. And I haven't really started yet. Thanks Flatus  :thumbsup:

Anyone interested in a Cuisinart machine & grinder ?

« Reply #77 on: 01 January, 2012, 03:43:05 pm »
I'd taken my cheapy burr grinder apart to clean it out, and when putting it back together, something went clink (crunch?).
The upshot is that it now grinds a lot finer & produces pretty good results. I'm guessing I broke off a limiter of some sort, but am content to leave all well alone whilst it produces a decent grind.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #78 on: 01 January, 2012, 04:36:17 pm »
ah, I did pretty what looks like almost exactly the same procedure on the delonghi grinder i got for christmas, in fact it looks a remarkably similar grinder. Still not sure it grinds quite as fine as the hario hand grinder though, although that does take ages.

« Reply #79 on: 01 January, 2012, 04:44:07 pm »
Well ?

Hot Flatus' Rancilio Silvia is now in my possession, and in my impatience to use it I modified my cuisinart grinder like this to get a fine enough grind.

A few shots went down the drain, but this one was pretty good. And I haven't really started yet. Thanks Flatus  :thumbsup:

Anyone interested in a Cuisinart machine & grinder ?

Good effort for a new start on an unfamiliar machine.

You might be interested to read this:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/library/content/espresso-almighty-crema

Of course it is only how it tastes to you that counts, but I think that shot would fall into the category of 'under extracted ', so like the first of the photos. You already know why this is...grinder not up to the job.

Of course, along with dark roasted beans, crema is now sooo not the right thing to do, and some 'aficionado' cafés are now scooping it off before serving and congratulating themselves just how much more highly evolved they are with their light roast acidic beans, gay man bags, gelled up salon hairstyles and wanky Internet-sourced opinions.

AndyH

« Reply #80 on: 01 January, 2012, 05:09:13 pm »
Of course it is only how it tastes to you that counts, but I think that shot would fall into the category of 'under extracted ', so like the first of the photos. You already know why this is...grinder not up to the job.

Yes, I daren't try to go finer with this grinder - I'm pretty sure the burrs would be touching & if not I'd be burning the coffee. That shot did taste good though.

I'm going to go for the Iberital, but can't decide if I should have the one with the doser or not. Probably not, but then the other one has a timer. I'm thinking that what I'll need to do for my antisocially early morning shot is to grind the night before and keep overnight in an airtight container in the fridge.

« Reply #81 on: 01 January, 2012, 09:02:26 pm »
Even though (for reasons of cost) my new grinder has a doser, I'd suggest you go doserless with the MC2., since you are buying new.  £114 is very cheap for a half-decent grinder.