Poll

Food of the gods, or Satan's snack?

I'll eat them when sober
27 (49.1%)
I'll eat them after n pints (please specify)
10 (18.2%)
I buy them, take a nibble and then dump them in a hedge
2 (3.6%)
My body is a temple and I would never put such an abomination into it
16 (29.1%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Doner kebabs  (Read 13732 times)

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
Re: Doner kebabs
« Reply #50 on: 26 August, 2012, 11:04:38 pm »
The DIY version from Timy Hayward at The Guardian.
I am nothing and should be everything

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #51 on: 27 August, 2012, 07:23:52 pm »
Mine were a lot simpler; lamb meat, spicy seasoning and onion put into a blender and then fried.  They tasted pretty authentic.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #52 on: 28 August, 2012, 10:46:42 am »
I used to buy doner kebabs quite regularly but I haven't had one for years. When cycling home after a protracted chess match, it's hard to beat.

I don't know if it's still there, but I used to frequent one in Southchurch Road, Southend. It was called "Crock's". There was a little music-free jingle pasted in red letters in the window. "You'll run like a horse with Crock's chilli sauce!"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #53 on: 28 August, 2012, 09:20:21 pm »
Nevermind the flavour.  That's not important to drunk people.  I'm concerned about the safety of the "meat".  Is the portion piping hot shortly before serving?

It should be but I've heard/read horror stories about when this has failed.
Surely this is all part of the sport?   A kind of Doner roulette.

« Reply #54 on: 28 August, 2012, 09:56:15 pm »
Nevermind the flavour.  That's not important to drunk people.  I'm concerned about the safety of the "meat".  Is the portion piping hot shortly before serving?

It should be but I've heard/read horror stories about when this has failed.
Surely this is all part of the sport?   A kind of Doner roulette.

That's why chili sauce is offered, not so much as a garnish, more as a disinfectant.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #55 on: 28 August, 2012, 10:09:50 pm »
Big girl's blouse. No wonder we lost the Empire.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #56 on: 28 August, 2012, 10:12:56 pm »
I'll man-up and smear some dog shit on my next one, then.  Gotta challenge my immune system to te max, man.  :)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #57 on: 29 August, 2012, 11:31:28 pm »
In honour of this thread, I've just prepared some doner meat to be eaten tomorrow night.  Lamb neck, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, ground coriander and cumin whizzed in the food processor and pressed in a loaf tin ready to be baked tomorrow.  So, more of a kebab flavoured meat loaf but should be good.  I've even made a face meltingly hot chilli sauce :thumbsup: (chilli, tomato, red wine vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, smoked paprika).  Can't wait!

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #58 on: 30 August, 2012, 11:05:40 am »
In honour of this thread, I've just prepared some doner meat to be eaten tomorrow night.  Lamb neck, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, ground coriander and cumin whizzed in the food processor and pressed in a loaf tin ready to be baked tomorrow.  So, more of a kebab flavoured meat loaf but should be good.  I've even made a face meltingly hot chilli sauce :thumbsup: (chilli, tomato, red wine vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, smoked paprika).  Can't wait!

That sounds like such a good idea!

Like anything else doner kebabs can be good or bad. At the end of the day its just sliced up lamb/mutton sausage in a pitta bread with salad on the top. There are good kebabs and bad kebabs. Find a good place and it is a delicious although probably not very healthy meal (given the amount of fat in lamb).

I am a big fan though I live too far from a proper kebab shop to have one these days. 
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #59 on: 30 August, 2012, 01:02:22 pm »
surely there must be somewhere in glasgow where you can buy a deep fried doner kebab?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #60 on: 30 August, 2012, 02:06:51 pm »
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #61 on: 30 August, 2012, 02:17:01 pm »
1000 calories? Is that all? I'll take 2 then.

maybe they mean 10 000
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #62 on: 30 August, 2012, 02:24:24 pm »

That sounds like such a good idea!

Like anything else doner kebabs can be good or bad. At the end of the day its just sliced up lamb/mutton sausage in a pitta bread with salad on the top. There are good kebabs and bad kebabs. Find a good place and it is a delicious although probably not very healthy meal (given the amount of fat in lamb).

I am a big fan though I live too far from a proper kebab shop to have one these days.

Now all you need to do is use one of those papier mache log-making presses to press your meat mix into a suitably compacyed block to get the real slice-it-off goodness.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #63 on: 30 August, 2012, 04:44:13 pm »
It's pressed firmly into the loaf tin!  Thankfully, when you cook meatloaf in the oven like this, the fat turns to liquid and you can pour a fair amount of it off (into an empty yoghurt pot - not down the drains kids!) so you can kid youself you're making it healthier.

Just have to figure out what to slice it with.  Maybe the vegetable peeler. :)

Only a couple of hours to go now.  I think there may be left overs for lunch tomorrow.  Nom!

« Reply #64 on: 30 August, 2012, 08:22:33 pm »
Meal report: very nice but unlike a doner kebab.  Too nice to be a doner, really.  :P
The chilli sauce was brilliant.  The smoked paprika added a really nice, slightly earthy taste.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #65 on: 31 August, 2012, 10:59:05 am »
Stick the remaining meatloaf on a spike, shred your salad, slice your pitta and dig out your potato peeler and I'll be around for supper tonight at about 11:30pm, slightly the worse for wear.  ;D
Owner of a languishing Langster

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #66 on: 31 August, 2012, 09:23:10 pm »
Stick the remaining meatloaf on a spike, shred your salad, slice your pitta and dig out your potato peeler and I'll be around for supper tonight at about 11:30pm, slightly the worse for wear.  ;D

I love the idea of you being at bikenrrd's door, swaying a bit, swearing under your breath and counting £6.70 in loose change over and over again.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #67 on: 01 September, 2012, 10:15:48 pm »
Haven't had a doner  kebab for years. First one I can remember is after a well watered black tie dinner somewhere like the Dorchester. As yokels do, we wanted to see the sights so headed for Piccadily . Encountering a kebab stall , we thought of taking a bit more food on board .
I chose mine and added plenty of "tomato ketchup" .You can guess the result  :sick:    I dont think the kebab itself was too bad.
Since then I have avoided them, mainly because the vans that serve them often  look like a mobile version of Abu-Ghraib or the Black hole of Calcutta .
 If  you care to  Google "Doner kebab", the 3rd article is likely to be  about e. coli.

However as a topic  it's  a good excuse for another look at this-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mYssEXILjc

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #68 on: 02 September, 2012, 12:00:10 am »
... £6.70 ...

£6.70!!!!!

For £5.50 you get the extra-large doner at my local.  It's more than done me on a couple of occassions.  £6.70's worth sounds like a challenge!!

I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #69 on: 02 September, 2012, 04:19:22 am »
I had one today off the chippy in Tower Bridge road £5.50 for extra large + drink.

It wasn't that good, a bit bland and even the chilli sauce wasn't really chilli :(
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #70 on: 17 September, 2012, 06:29:06 pm »
Did anyone have a kebab before the Dun Run?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19622903
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #71 on: 17 September, 2012, 06:31:48 pm »
No, I went to the Chinese so no doubt enjoyed chow chow mein (sorry NSTN!).
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #72 on: 17 September, 2012, 07:07:52 pm »

Hackney Council seem remarkably unbothered, don't they?

« Reply #73 on: 17 September, 2012, 07:12:23 pm »

Rat onna stick?

Now we definitely know which city Ankh Morpork was modelled on.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #74 on: 17 September, 2012, 07:18:04 pm »
The manager of Great Expectations, a food store which sold two Ghanaian rats to the undercover BBC researcher, said: "I don't sell rats, I never sell rats, I don't sell rats.

"I don't have any rats, why you come to video me?"

Hackney Council has probably realised that it's a complete waste of time trying to deal with people like that. If they want to eat rotting rat, let them.