Author Topic: Cycle Show Mondays from 23 July on ITV4  (Read 26168 times)

Re: Cycle Show Mondays from 23 July on ITV4
« Reply #50 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:37:20 pm »
I'm watching now and pinged Jeff Banks and Dermott Murgnahan (sp?) in uncredited appearances. The segments are a bit short - I'd have liked a longer interview with Eddie Merckx and the bike fitting was quite interesting, but again a bit too short. Alpe d'Huez was utterly bonkers.

Gary Kemp is still a twat though ...
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #51 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:40:27 pm »
Yes tonight's show, while still not brilliant, was much improved.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #52 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:04:59 am »
Do they have some rule stating that each week a guest has to mention wearing a h*lmet? Last week it was Mansell, this week it was Kemp...

I want to do that Alpe d'Huez race!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #53 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:29:28 am »
Haven't seen this week's yet, but I quite liked the first one. Despite his boring Brum accent, and Mondeo-man views, Nigel Mansell has achieved a hell of a lot in his life, and is the power behind the UK Youth cycle racing team. Between him and his sons, the Mansell family definitely qualify as cyclists! Gary Fisher is Californian, and from the free-love-and-as-many-drugs-as-you-can-pack-in generation, so it's not surprising he's bonkers. But he's one hell of a rider, and 'invented' mountain bikes, so he qualifies too. Graeme Obree is now well known and accepted as being somewhat off-the-wall, but you just know he's got loads of interesting stuff to say if he can just get it out. A shame the interviewer didn't have the skillz to get the best out of these three.

The other stuff was interesting and topical and showed just enough promise that non-enthusiast-cyclists might just tune in again. And if it adds to the growing feeling that cycling is becoming 'cool', that's no bad thing.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #54 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:59:16 am »
 An improvement on last week's edition.

"they" seem keen on helmet promotion which is preferable to compulsion.

« Reply #55 on: 31 July, 2012, 10:56:43 am »
Definite improvement last night. Kemp is a celeb cyclist so I can see the idea of him being on but EM on UK tv at 8pm - fantastic. So much he could have been asked. That AdH feature was excellent but I'd never do it.

simonp

« Reply #56 on: 31 July, 2012, 10:58:13 am »
Re the length of the items, on twitter they said they hope that if viewing figures are good enough, they can get a longer slot in the future.

« Reply #57 on: 31 July, 2012, 05:42:53 pm »
The programme is getting a 60 minute slot from 13th August so hopefully they'll go a bit more in depth rather than cramming in more short segments.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #58 on: 31 July, 2012, 08:15:52 pm »
I watched a few mins of it last night.  Not my cup of tea at all.  :(
Aero but not dynamic

fuzzy

« Reply #59 on: 01 August, 2012, 07:45:10 am »
My series link remains active. I thought this offering was a more slick edition and bodes well for future editions.

MegaAvalanche? That looks like something I would love to have a go at :thumbsup:

Perhaps we should suggest to the show that the rolapaluza thing could be used in the same vein as the TG Star in a reasonably priced car?

AndyK

« Reply #60 on: 01 August, 2012, 07:53:09 am »

Perhaps we should suggest to the show that the rolapaluza thing could be used in the same vein as the TG Star in a reasonably priced car?

Yes. And get Cl*rks*n on one.  :demon:

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #61 on: 01 August, 2012, 09:01:07 am »
Saw Monday's episode on the ITV Player last night. It was good to see Eddie Merckx in good form - and allowing an interview in English, which I understand is quite rare. I thought Gary Kemp was quite good value too. The Alpe d'Huez race looked fantastic fun! Overall I think it's not bad - I refuse to look down my nose at it because it's a populist format; if it's going to appeal to maybe-cyclists as well as actual cyclists, it has to show that ordinary people, or unexpected people, get loads out of cycling and that the whole thing is fun and not just a worthy alternative transport or a diehard sport.

John Henry

« Reply #62 on: 01 August, 2012, 06:12:19 pm »
OK, as a fairly harsh critic of the first episode, it's only fair to say that I thought the second one was a massive improvement, and I enjoyed it. It felt much more professionally produced, and the guests were well-chosen and allowed to say something interesting.

Even Kemp's pro-helmet view didn't annoy me - he couched it in terms of it being his own personal choice, and didn't use the word 'noggin' once.

I enjoyed the AdH section (mad!) and the bike fitting bit. Thumbs up to this one.

« Reply #63 on: 03 August, 2012, 02:57:52 pm »
I think it's got promise.  As others have said, we're probably not the target audience, this is a bit like Micro Live, which I used to watch with the expectation of it saying something interesting, but all too often it was what I considered obvious stuff, but which was probably more interesting to the average man on the street, who at that time had probably never seen a home computer.  They are now far more ubiquitous and programs like Click! are often more technically challenging.  The comparison isn't quite so valid, given that bicycles have been common on our streets for over a century, but TV programmes about them, for some reason, seem to have been relatively rare.

Did anyone else think the footage on the supine recumbent that Graham Obree is planning on challenging the human powered land speed record with, looked a little wobbly?  I've since found some other footage, and there's no shots of him doing any moderate speed, and if he's planning on doing 80mph+ with it faired, he should be able to do 30mph+ unfaired without too much effort.  Interestingly it's a treadle type drive (which is more clearly shown here), presumably because it'll make adding a fairing easier.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 03 August, 2012, 03:09:32 pm »
I think it'd be hard to get on an unfamiliar 'bent of that height without wobbling a bit, no matter how strong your recumbent-fu.  That the bike's geared for speed and has a frankly terrifying steering arrangement can't help.  I wouldn't take a new bike up to 30mph without getting reasonably comfortable with how it handles at 10 first - that would be a recipe for falling off the first time you stop.

More discussion of the attempt in this thread:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=54891.0

« Reply #65 on: 03 August, 2012, 05:14:46 pm »
That may well be the case, but if he's hoping to get over 80mph, he has quite a long way to go from wobbly cycling around at below 10mph.

« Reply #66 on: 06 August, 2012, 01:53:39 pm »
Bugger.  I forgot.  :facepalm:

Basil - a reminder for you.  This is on tonight.

[edit]  Hope it doesn't clash with Horizon.

« Reply #67 on: 06 August, 2012, 07:52:08 pm »
Well I watched the first episode earlier and didn't think too much of it but saw everyone saying the second was a big improvement so gave that a go too. And yes, much better.

Still not sure it's for me but will give it a couple more episodes as the Sky+ is set to record it anyway.

The Alpe D'Huez race looked absolutely bonkers. I'd give the course a go but only if I was as rich as Tony Stark and could rent the whole thing for a day for just me.  ;D I'd be too slow on a lot of it otherwise and worrying about people running up the back of me.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #68 on: 07 August, 2012, 03:46:27 pm »
3rd episode - No mention of H*lmets!

Thought Rob Hayle's bit on p*nctures was spectacularly pointless - "This is what you do when you get a puncture... Slow down and stop" No shit...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #69 on: 07 August, 2012, 03:51:55 pm »
I did like Alan Davies' comment about mudguards, though  :thumbsup:

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #70 on: 07 August, 2012, 08:56:11 pm »
I did like Alan Davies' comment about mudguards, though  :thumbsup:

That was funny. Mind that Aston Martin bike looked fugly as fuck.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #71 on: 09 August, 2012, 10:29:20 am »
It's definitely getting better, although the interviews are still a little 'clunky' and the links aren't exactly slick.  I didn't mind Rob's bit about punctures - remember this is aimed at casual cyclists as well as keen ones and if you took away the key bit of info about staying as straight as possible and not trying to turn, you might save yourself from an embarassing off.

I'm looking forward to the hour-long ones.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #72 on: 09 August, 2012, 10:48:23 am »
It's definitely getting better <SNIP>

I'm looking forward to the hour-long ones.

Yes, but it is suffering, quite badly, from "Lets fit as much as we can into 30 mins". An hour would allow for more detail on the puncture segment and maybe a better item about the mini-track.  Cut the interviews down though, FWIW when I watch TG I go and do something else when the interviews are on (it's not just TG though, Later.... sufferes the same problem, Jools Holland and Jezza are not Parky or Wogan and should just give up on the idea that they are, same here on this program).

I also think that they should make LMNH cough up some cash so they can actually say where they are and not pretend it's "Their cycle cafe"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #73 on: 09 August, 2012, 03:03:13 pm »
I also think that they should make LMNH cough up some cash so they can actually say where they are and not pretend it's "Their cycle cafe"

Presumably they are actually paying to use LMNH, and not just wandering in with a camera crew, and sitting around a table filming the programme. ;D

Do they film it live, or is it recorded?  It's not obvious to my untrained eye, and I haven't really watched it with that in mind.  If it's live, maybe YACF should pop down that day/time for a drinking session social meeting. ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #74 on: 09 August, 2012, 03:08:09 pm »
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State