Author Topic: A fox attempted to steal my sandwich !  (Read 1529 times)

A fox attempted to steal my sandwich !
« on: 24 October, 2013, 08:38:34 am »
Last night I was at Leicester Forest East northbound at about 10:00pm. I was walking back to my car carrying a sandwich and a some fruit in a carrier bag when a fox bold as brass walked out from between the parked cars and ran up to me heading straight for the bag. I stopped and stared at it whereupon on backed ff a little and tried to circle round for another go. I walked on a bit and it trotted after me and finally gave up when I got in the car. I watched it then approach a group of people getting out of another car.
I have never seen a fox so unafraid of people. It didn't look ill on the contrary its fur was beautiful and it looked a good weight with no mange. Poor thing will probably snap at someone who tries to hand feed it and end up getting shot as a nuisance.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: A fox attempted to steal my sandwich !
« Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2013, 08:58:17 am »
Was it a chicken sandwich?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2013, 08:59:46 am »
Egg and bacon actually from the Waitrose. Must have been a middle class fox.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2013, 09:06:23 am »
I have encountered a similar fox, in the mountains of Picos de Europa of all places, next to a popular picnic viewpoint.

It isn't good at all for them to become so fearless of human contact. Even the ones we get around here in west london still have the fear and will scurry off as you come close.

And sadly you are right, at some point it will come too close to a child or whatever and The Daily Mail will have headlines proclaiming that we should cull these menaces.

Sad, they are such beautiful creatures (and before someone moans about me be a soft townie, my family has generations of farmers in it, I know of the issues they cause and totally accept the need to manage them, though without chasing them with hounds and ripping them apart thanks).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2013, 09:22:59 am »
You are Dora the Explorer AICMFP!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2013, 09:18:21 pm »
We see plenty of foxes here and they don't seem at all scared of humans but I've never known one approach a person. We did have a similar episode in India though with a rhesus monkey and a ham sandwich - I thought they only ate fruit! Clearly it was not a Muslim monkey, probably a low caste Christian convert.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 25 October, 2013, 09:25:00 pm »
I avoid monkeys.

I used to think they were cute until I got chased by one in some jungle in Cambodia. I opted to take my chances with the landmines rather than stay put and face the snarling primate.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 25 October, 2013, 09:27:19 pm »
That was the other thing that surprised me about them. They have huge canines and are not afraid to bare them. I really think it wouldn't have hesitated to bite me.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #8 on: 25 October, 2013, 09:34:02 pm »
A monkey stole my parents' camera in Singapore in 1971 and my dad had to chase it to get it back.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

fuzzy

« Reply #9 on: 30 October, 2013, 03:51:57 pm »
Seeing the Rock Apes on Gibraltar in action is an eye opener- especially to the 'You've Been Framed' crowd who thing they are peanut pilfering lovable rogues. When I did a return holiday with family my Mum tried to put her arm around one. Needed jabs for her trouble/ foolishness.