Author Topic: Porter to go  (Read 1155 times)

Porter to go
« on: 07 March, 2013, 06:56:27 am »
Needless to say, the Standard (and commentators) frame it as part of the "ageist" BBC controversy:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/chris-boardmans-shock-as-bbc-drops-voice-of-cycling-hugh-porter-8519392.html

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Porter to go
« Reply #1 on: 07 March, 2013, 07:19:09 am »
Perhaps it was because thousands of cycling fans said he was crap?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2 on: 07 March, 2013, 08:26:22 am »
Sad to see any one put out to pasture (or sent to the glue factory/local abattoir), but about bloody time.

Some commentator's with their silly mistakes are endearing (think Murray Walker), but Hugh Porter was just plain old annoying.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2013, 09:19:42 am »
No doubting his enthusiasm and knowledge, especially on the track, but on the road his commentary had become somewhat distantly related to the events unfolding in front of the viewers eyes.
Time for a change.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2013, 09:21:31 am »
I've been saying he's past his best for a while. Making mistakes commentating is one thing, but at the British Champs at Abergavenny a few years ago he had a go at the spectators from the podium. There was some confusion, arising from the commissaires, as to whether Lizzie Armitstead won a senior medal (she was 2nd or 3rd in the race, but 1st U-23). Not Hugh's fault, but he appeared to take the murmur of discontent directed at the BC organisation personally and made a brief verbal attack. Not nice.

Still, I don't like to see him go when he still has such an obvious enthusiasm for the sport.

« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2013, 02:41:24 pm »
Replace with Nicole Cook? Please?

Articulate, knowledgeable, clear voice.
<i>Marmite slave</i>