Author Topic: Your Wikipedia find of the week  (Read 112756 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Your Wikipedia find of the week
« Reply #526 on: 18 February, 2020, 10:24:11 am »
Mal Volio,, formerly OTP, has alpacas, and a good deal of confidence that his hens are protected from foxes.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #527 on: 18 February, 2020, 01:10:31 pm »
There is a road sign somewhere near Monmouth warning of Welsh and English alpacas. Alpacoed. I don't know if those would be his.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #528 on: 18 February, 2020, 01:33:36 pm »
There is a road sign somewhere near Monmouth warning of Welsh and English alpacas. Alpacoed. I don't know if those would be his.

That's one of those warning signs where you're never sure what to do.  Beware of livestock in the road I suppose.  But it's Wales, so you're already on the lookout for sheep, slow arafs, Tregaron mountain toads and so on, a specific warning for aplacas seems redundant.

See also: "Danger: Golfers" and those ones warning of aircraft.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #529 on: 18 February, 2020, 01:48:05 pm »
The aircraft one maybe doesn't make sense unless you've had a Tornado F3 take off directly over you, ideally fully loaded and in response to a Russian incursion.
It basically means "beware of very sudden loud noise"

This is directly under the flight path on takeoff/landing at what was RAF Leuchars and less than 100m from the end of the east/west runway.
https://goo.gl/maps/YuHL8xRpdt71hHz4A

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #530 on: 18 February, 2020, 02:04:35 pm »
Where the A38 used to go past the eastern end of the runway for Bristol airport (the road has now been diverted), there were level-crossing style lights to halt traffic for take offs and landings.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #531 on: 18 February, 2020, 02:09:06 pm »
Where the A38 used to go past the eastern end of the runway for Bristol airport (the road has now been diverted), there were level-crossing style lights to halt traffic for take offs and landings.

Brize Norton's got some of those.  I once spent a quality 5 minutes stopped at them, hoping for some impressive aero action.  What we actually got was a lot of jet engine noise from the other side of the hedge, which disappeared unseen in the opposite direction.  Presumably concern that the jet blast might pose a hazard to traffic...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #532 on: 18 February, 2020, 03:29:01 pm »

They still have them at Sumburgh airport.  The big wet salty thing at either end of the runway prevent road diversions pretty effectively  ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #533 on: 18 February, 2020, 03:38:17 pm »
And at RAF Northolt in the badlands of west London. I can only recall being stopped there twice and not recently.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #534 on: 18 February, 2020, 04:16:18 pm »
Mal Volio,, formerly OTP, has alpacas.....

Antibiotics any good?

« Reply #535 on: 18 February, 2020, 04:20:59 pm »
Not from Wiki, but I was so impressed by the info, I may actually add it to wiki.

Tank tops are called tank tops, because swimming pools used to be called swimming tanks, and you'd wear an all in one swimming suit called a tank suit. A tank top, looks like the top of a tank suit.

As there's a tank top, I assume there's also a tank bottom, but no one talks about them these days.

« Reply #536 on: 18 February, 2020, 11:25:39 pm »

That's one of those warning signs where you're never sure what to do.  Beware of livestock in the road I suppose.  But it's Wales, so you're already on the lookout for sheep, slow arafs, Tregaron mountain toads and so on, a specific warning for aplacas seems redundant.

See also: "Danger: Golfers" and those ones warning of aircraft.

There's a beware of the duck sign on a road near Bangor.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #537 on: 18 February, 2020, 11:36:23 pm »
There's a beware of the duck sign on a road near Bangor.

See, if that was a goose it would make sense.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #538 on: 28 April, 2020, 03:20:32 pm »
War Emergency Power

Never heard of it! Systems where (piston) aeroplane engines can have a massive boost of power in a short time.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #539 on: 28 April, 2020, 05:52:27 pm »

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #540 on: 28 April, 2020, 06:20:29 pm »
War Emergency Power

Never heard of it! Systems where (piston) aeroplane engines can have a massive boost of power in a short time.

Also known (in UK at least) as Operational (Max) Power. In the C130K, where maximum power was measured in terms of Exhaust Gas Temperature. For the RAF, that was given a maximum figure of 953C, which was a figure intended to get maximum life from the T56 engines. For operational use, however, the max was 1083C. It didn't represent 10% more power, but it was significantly more - and it had quite an effect on engine life!

« Reply #541 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:03:40 pm »
War Emergency Power

On WW1 planes there was a piece or wire across the throttle quadrant. Up to the wire was normal power. Through the the wire was emergency power.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #542 on: 06 May, 2020, 09:10:52 am »
Goodhart's Law
I've always intuitively known this, but it's gratifying to see that someone has formally recognised the effect.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #543 on: 28 June, 2020, 01:22:45 pm »
The United States is the only country known to have had anti-literacy laws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-literacy_laws_in_the_United_States

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #544 on: 28 June, 2020, 02:14:18 pm »
War Emergency Power

[/quote
Roald Dahl mentions it in his autobiography. It was known to pilots, in his unit at least, as "going through the gate". He describes using it to escape some dastardly Huns by flying at about six feet.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #546 on: 03 July, 2020, 08:40:42 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_prognosticator

Merryweather lobbied for the government to make use of his design around the British coastline but they instead opted for Robert FitzRoy's storm glass.

Hah!  We've got a FitzRoy storm glass as an ornamental objet d'art and it doesn't really do anything useful - it certainly doesn't change significantly in different weather conditions...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #547 on: 04 July, 2020, 09:25:45 am »
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #548 on: 04 July, 2020, 01:45:01 pm »
Hungry now, you utter GIT ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #549 on: 04 July, 2020, 03:30:23 pm »
I wonder if they have an effect on exhaust gases...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight