Author Topic: Coronavirus and Audax  (Read 90628 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Re: Coronavirus and Audax
« Reply #275 on: 16 March, 2020, 09:41:39 am »
A big pen like a bingo marker that you can use without having to touch the Brevet card might work.

It would have to be a very big pen indeed to overcome the 2m proximity rule.

Outside in a breeze, and for only a few seconds, is quite different to being on a packed train for an hour.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #276 on: 16 March, 2020, 09:49:11 am »
Cycling in Spain was banned yesterday. The towns are deserted cafes restaurants and all non essential shops closed. UK  next for the 14 day lock down?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #277 on: 16 March, 2020, 09:51:52 am »
Rider puts card on table and retreats, you approach table and mark it and retreat, rider collects card and goes.

Rider tells you their name/number so you can mark them off the list.

Could probably dispense with the first part, tbh. Just ask riders to call out their name/number, write down their control time, then email the info to the org.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #278 on: 16 March, 2020, 09:58:34 am »
Postal finish maybe?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #279 on: 16 March, 2020, 09:59:33 am »
It's close to being academic interest only methinks.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #280 on: 16 March, 2020, 10:01:13 am »
Cycling in Spain was banned yesterday. The towns are deserted cafes restaurants and all non essential shops closed. UK  next for the 14 day lock down?

I think it's crazy. Neither Korea or Taiwan have banned cycling. The spanish will let you walk down to the shops to buy cancer sticks but throw a fit for riding a bike.

The people in Spain I'm keeping an eye on have gotten around it by cycling via a circuitous route to the grocer's and buying a calypso.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #281 on: 16 March, 2020, 10:12:41 am »
The Audax Board have emailed.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #282 on: 16 March, 2020, 10:18:29 am »
The Audax Board have emailed.

Nothing new though, same stance as a few days ago.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #283 on: 16 March, 2020, 10:23:09 am »
We had the police taking some good long looks at us yesterday on the roads. Pretty sure we would havd been stopped and fined if we were not all panniered up. You could cycle home if caught out due to the lock down.

« Reply #284 on: 16 March, 2020, 10:32:30 am »
Not audax, but cycling...

I've just began the process of cancelling my time trial due to run this Sunday.

The race itself might have been ok, riders spaced out etc, but I had already stood down my (old, high risk) HQ helpers and was half-heartedly making a plan to run the sign on and results from the HQ car park, not inside the hall.

However, as of yesterday afternoon my missus has a constant cough and is flat on her back, so that's me and the family self-isolating for at least a week (we pretty much had been since Friday bar a trip to the supermarket) and the end of 37 riders Sunday morning entertainment. No loss in the grand scheme of things.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #285 on: 16 March, 2020, 10:38:14 am »

I think it's crazy. Neither Korea or Taiwan have banned cycling. The spanish will let you walk down to the shops to buy cancer sticks but throw a fit for riding a bike.

The people in Spain I'm keeping an eye on have gotten around it by cycling via a circuitous route to the grocer's and buying a calypso.

So good to know people are going out unnecessarily to keep the pandemic going ::-)

« Reply #286 on: 16 March, 2020, 10:40:51 am »

Different countries have different outbreaks, different scenarios and different approaches. There's no universal perfect playbook for this.

Spain just see being able to go to the shops as more "necessary" than purely recreational cycle rides, there's a line and recreational cycling ended up below it. They're still supposed to avoid unnecessary trips, even when walking.

Good luck trying to deal with any form of a lockdown if you stopped selling cigarettes in a country like Spain - there would be significant rioting.

Well done them for putting their own needs above the health of the nation, we'll see how that turns out.

« Reply #287 on: 16 March, 2020, 10:47:30 am »
I think it is really difficult. If I was 20 instead of 61 I would probably go out and aim to catch it so as to be ahead of the curve and able to help without worrying in a few weeks time.

At 61 I am hoping that all the young people get it and I get a strain which has become less virulent with multiple passages and that there is still a hospital bed when I need it.

If I was 75 I would be hoping herd immunity became high enough I did not get it at all ( before I went mad)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #288 on: 16 March, 2020, 11:02:00 am »
^^^ This — well said.  I'm still just about young enough and probably fit enough to be in the "low-risk of needing medical intervention" group and so a fairly good herd candidate.

« Reply #289 on: 16 March, 2020, 11:04:10 am »
Just published two new events for 24th October and paid deposit for the start venue. Hope it is all tailing down by then or i am going to be out of pocket! ;)
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #290 on: 16 March, 2020, 11:06:20 am »
Just published two new events for 24th October and paid deposit for the start venue. Hope it is all tailing down by then or i am going to be out of pocket! ;)

Nice one. 

I'm also looking at putting some tentative X-rated events into the calendar for much later in the year, and keeping the fields small, give riders something to look forward to in this murky situation full of unknowns.  The sort of events I can run from a car park with letterbox finish.  Open entries much later in the year.  Worst case scenario, lose my registration fees.

Martin

« Reply #291 on: 16 March, 2020, 11:12:30 am »

So good to know people are going out unnecessarily to keep the pandemic going ::-)

In Mallorca there were cyclists everywhere last week along the coast, in the mountains, out to Formentor and outside cafes. As of Sunday it's banned and Max Huerzeler (the largest bike holiday company on the island) were cancelling all new arrivals offering a full refund and taking their hire bikes back. Anyone already there is confined to their hotel and will be taken back to the airport by minibus as soon as a flight becomes available.

We have a friend there who lives in a tiny village in the centre of the island, as of yesterday only one family member is allowed out at a time to either go to the shops or work (so his young boy is housebound)

There are a million people living there and a handful of cases. They are locking down because they don't want people coming there from the high prevalence areas bearing the virus. I expect the same applies to the mainland where most cases are in Madrid and built up areas. Remember what the Belgian virologist said upthread, this is spread by aerosols not just coughing and hands.

As an island we should be doing the same at least closing pubs non food shops and restaurants etc....

interesting that China is trying to implicate the Pentagon in this, although I've also read that mass cremation sites (way beyond China's own published death figures) are being detected

« Reply #292 on: 16 March, 2020, 11:14:05 am »
...but appropriate and proportional IMHO.
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

« Reply #293 on: 16 March, 2020, 11:18:03 am »

We'll see how well it ages.

bludger

« Reply #294 on: 16 March, 2020, 11:19:05 am »
Well done them for putting their own needs above the health of the nation, we'll see how that turns out.
Really not seeing any material difference between someone walking 30 mins to a shop and back and buying 20 cancer sticks and someone doing a 30 km route to the same shop and back on their own and getting a lolly tbh.

There is going to be life after this illness. This is a golden opportunity to popularise cycling and avert climate change, which is forcasted to kill tens of millions of people. I am pretty sick of watching countless people tell me and my generation that we can go and get fucked for being 'entitled' in wanting action on climate change to save ourselves and vulnerable communities worldwide, but then getting shamed for going out for a bike ride.

Ban cars.

Martin

« Reply #295 on: 16 March, 2020, 11:21:50 am »
Really not seeing any material difference between someone walking 30 mins to a shop and back and buying 20 cancer sticks and someone doing a 30 km route to the same shop and back on their own and getting a lolly tbh.

There is going to be life after this illness. This is a golden opportunity to popularise cycling and avert climate change, which is forcasted to kill tens of millions of people. I am pretty sick of watching countless people tell me and my generation that we can go and get fucked for being 'entitled' in wanting action on climate change to save ourselves and vulnerable communities worldwide, but then getting shamed for going out for a bike ride.

you can travel a lot further and to a much greater area on a bike than walking to a shop

« Reply #296 on: 16 March, 2020, 11:22:35 am »

We'll see how well it ages.
the advice is subject to change as circumstances and officialdom dictate. It may well alter but that doesn't make it the wrong advice now.

bludger

« Reply #297 on: 16 March, 2020, 11:24:09 am »

you can travel a lot further and to a much greater area on a bike than walking to a shop
Walking about to buy cancer sticks you're much more likely to be sharing touching surfaces and being in close physical contact with non-symptomatic carriers than going for a solo spin on quiet roads.

Cycling is safe. This is a golden opportunity to popularise it and make a safer future for everyone.

Ban cars.

« Reply #298 on: 16 March, 2020, 11:26:53 am »
Cycling is safe. This is a golden opportunity to popularise it and make a safer future for everyone.

Sure, just not when there's a lockdown because of a highly contagious pandemic.

bludger

« Reply #299 on: 16 March, 2020, 11:33:28 am »
... Solo cyclists who don't stop anywhere are not a contagion risk unlike the cigarette buyers, who are being given carte blanche. This is a disproportionate double standard. I refuse to abandon common sense in the face of anti cyclist prejudice. I cycled into town today to pick up my work laptop and the closest I got to anyone was about 5 metres. We are not a danger to anyone. Indeed in Spain delivery cyclists are still legally working. https://blog.glovoapp.com/sin-categorizar/coronavirus-informacion-y-medidas/

Ban cars.