Author Topic: Members' MTB to Road bike conversions  (Read 68477 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: Members' MTB to Road bike conversions
« Reply #100 on: 09 March, 2016, 07:48:04 pm »
I like it.

Thanks!  Still undecided about this bike - it seems a little too large for me, and my Mountain Biking days are over. Very heavy wheels. Avid BB5 cable disc brakes are not easy to keep adjusted! Rebuilding my old Dawes Horizon tourer into a butterfly barred hybrid / tourer is tempting at the moment. Hmmmmm.

Then again, on the fourth hand, no doubt my rebuilt dawes horizon would end up to similar to my current road bike (Pinnacle dolomite 2, 2014), albeit with butterfly bras.

So I may just stick with this mtb and use it for a commuter / general pootling about bike. Might try and get some nice 26x2.0 touring tyres for it, as well as a butterfly bar to replace the stock flat bar
 :)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #101 on: 09 March, 2016, 08:09:36 pm »
"Ravinia" (1987 Raleigh 'Avanti' 531 F&Fs) back from new paint at Ellis Briggs and built up as the Summer shopper/CF trailer puller

Before and after : https://www.flickr.com/photos/obswerve/sets/72157648266482689

Lovely (Why don't you post the superb photo of it in front of the Dam?)

Can't believe how skinny the forks are for an MTB.  Disc brakes would tie those forks in a knot.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #102 on: 09 March, 2016, 08:23:58 pm »
I like it.

Thanks!  Still undecided about this bike - it seems a little too large for me, and my Mountain Biking days are over. Very heavy wheels. Avid BB5 cable disc brakes are not easy to keep adjusted! Rebuilding my old Dawes Horizon tourer into a butterfly barred hybrid / tourer is tempting at the moment. Hmmmmm.

Then again, on the fourth hand, no doubt my rebuilt dawes horizon would end up to similar to my current road bike (Pinnacle dolomite 2, 2014), albeit with butterfly bras.
Does Butterfly know you're dressing your bike up in her bras?  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #103 on: 09 March, 2016, 09:04:03 pm »

Can't believe how skinny the forks are for an MTB.  Disc brakes would tie those forks in a knot.

And they are very comfy and springy :) Unlike the back end which is stiff and ideal for lugging loadsa shopping and stuff :thumbsup:

As requested . . . .

BrianI

« Reply #104 on: 10 March, 2016, 05:53:02 am »
I like it.

Does Butterfly know you're dressing your bike up in her bras?  :o
I think I'm going to go with the MTB commuter conversion. Was looking at a pair of Schwalbe Big Ben tyres 26x2.0 tyres for extra plushness! Those and butterfly bars (why no moth bars?) and job should be a good one

BrianI

« Reply #105 on: 10 March, 2016, 05:56:17 am »

And they are very comfy and springy :) Unlike the back end which is stiff and ideal for lugging loadsa shopping and stuff
As requested . . . .

Great conversion! Looks beautiful with the new paint job.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #106 on: 10 March, 2016, 07:51:23 am »

And they are very comfy and springy :) Unlike the back end which is stiff and ideal for lugging loadsa shopping and stuff
As requested . . . .

Great conversion! Looks beautiful with the new paint job.

Anything would look better than the 1987 original :-[

Jon

« Reply #107 on: 07 April, 2016, 12:51:23 pm »
Semi-roadamulated...

Any suggested tweaks welcome!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #108 on: 07 April, 2016, 04:12:41 pm »

Mudguards!

BrianI

« Reply #109 on: 07 April, 2016, 08:38:44 pm »
Mary came on tuesday!

So I fitted the On-One Mary bars to the Decathlon mtbso/commuter/rigidoffroad pootle bike on tuesday afternoon, then had a blast around Calais Muir woods on wednesday evening! 

The white On-One mary bars were cheaper, than the black!  No doubt a nightmare to keep clean, but at least they match the frame and forks!  ;D And mighty comfy they are too!

Jon

« Reply #110 on: 07 April, 2016, 10:29:02 pm »

Mudguards!
This was the best shout ever. Unfortunately I had to ride home through the mud and hail to really appreciate how much...

BrianI

« Reply #111 on: 27 April, 2016, 03:56:14 pm »
Mary came on tuesday!

So I fitted the On-One Mary bars to the Decathlon mtbso/commuter/rigidoffroad pootle bike on tuesday afternoon, then had a blast around Calais Muir woods on wednesday evening! 

The white On-One mary bars were cheaper, than the black!  No doubt a nightmare to keep clean, but at least they match the frame and forks!  ;D And mighty comfy they are too!

She's now got 26x2.0 Vittoria Saguro tyres on. A bit on the gnarly side for commuting to work, but the extra tread makes the 1.5 miles each way a bit more of a work out!  :)  Really enjoying the on-one Mary Bars.  Quite a comfy bike now despite its weight (which I think is mainly in the cheapo decathlon wheels - I may yet build a new set of lighter 26" wheels, and get a front dyno hub installed)   :)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #112 on: 28 April, 2016, 09:17:17 am »
That's a bizarre rear Rack setup.

It's going to cantilever most of the load beyond the rear axle and, possibly, have some negative effect on handling if you really load it up.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #113 on: 28 April, 2016, 04:32:31 pm »
Some sort of disc brake bodge, I assume, and arguably preferable to the one I've got that's secured by the QR, causing the bottom end of the rack to become unsecured when you remove the wheel.

I'm sure it improves heel strike thobut.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #114 on: 29 April, 2016, 01:59:35 pm »
the rack comes like that from the manufacturer, this is to enable it to use with disc calipers mounted on the seatstay. for lights loads (up to ~10kg) there is no difference in bike handling, compared to a usual rack which sits two inches closer to bb.

« Reply #115 on: 29 April, 2016, 05:56:59 pm »
the rack comes like that from the manufacturer, this is to enable it to use with disc calipers mounted on the seatstay. for lights loads (up to ~10kg) there is no difference in bike handling, compared to a usual rack which sits two inches closer to bb.

I have one on my single speed, the same rack in fact.  I've secured it with the QR though as I didn't have the braze on for it.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #116 on: 17 May, 2016, 10:10:23 am »
Work in progress.....but starting to take shape....I really must cut my lawn instead of fiddling with bikes!

2016-05-17_09-41-02 by Mike Clampitt, on Flickr

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #117 on: 17 May, 2016, 01:32:14 pm »
Is that a Saracen with a 531 frame?

« Reply #118 on: 17 May, 2016, 04:05:25 pm »
Is that a Saracen with a 531 frame?

Yep, circa 85-6 Saracen conquest.....I've had it a few years and it's a lovely ride..... with lots of original Deore deerhead parts....also had lovely nitto stem and bars, but they weren't good on the wrists long distance, hence playing with the north road setup

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #119 on: 17 May, 2016, 04:46:45 pm »
Best thing I did with mine was bin the Cantis and fit V-Brakes (new levers required but it's a very cheap upgrade).

A bit or cable re-routing required as well but worth the effort for the superb braking imo.

Good luck with the "lawn".

« Reply #120 on: 17 May, 2016, 05:13:18 pm »
Best thing I did with mine was bin the Cantis and fit V-Brakes (new levers required but it's a very cheap upgrade).

A bit or cable re-routing required as well but worth the effort for the superb braking imo.

Good luck with the "lawn".

The deerhead canti's work very well even with the current nasty pads, not like later narrow profile cantis (I've had some scary times off road with those!), and they look super cool, so I'll probly be sticking with them.....got a feeling I'll probly end up having to flip the bars, but thought I'd try them that way round at first

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #121 on: 17 May, 2016, 06:50:47 pm »
Best way to improve the lawn is to plant more daisies and dandelions, introduce some moles and put up a tent. Most of that will take care of itself in time, so best get on with the bike – far more worthwhile!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #122 on: 17 May, 2016, 07:30:07 pm »
Work in progress.....but starting to take shape....I really must cut my lawn instead of fiddling with bikes!

2016-05-17_09-41-02 by Mike Clampitt, on Flickr

I'd like to proffer these kinda frames of that era, are so suited to having fun/imaginative/whacky/whatever rebuilds. Their potential to become and continue to be real usable bikes is immense (imagine that last word expressed with a South Walian rugby commentator twang + add in tremendous, first class and excellent ;D?

« Reply #123 on: 17 May, 2016, 08:51:43 pm »
Best way to improve the lawn is to plant more daisies and dandelions, introduce some moles and put up a tent. Most of that will take care of itself in time, so best get on with the bike – far more worthwhile!

Personally I'd just 'Photo shop' the lawn when posting pics of my bikes. ;D

« Reply #124 on: 18 May, 2016, 11:05:17 am »

That's pretty much my take on gardening....kinda arrogant to think we can make a better job of it than nature!.....so yep, the garden looks like a nice woodland clearing....and the hedgepigs and frogs and bats and birds like it that way, so who am I to argue!