Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 113511 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
COVID19 and Audax UK
« on: 24 May, 2020, 11:03:52 pm »
I see that a long thread has been deleted today. The questions raised by various AUKs still remain. Is the AUK Board going to give any information regarding how AUK might run brevets, given potentially progressive lockdown relaxations over an extended period and likely regional variations in relaxations?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2020, 11:24:05 pm »
Would this not be better off posted on the AUK official forum?

http://forum.audax.uk/index.php
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2020, 11:29:47 pm »
Better to have it in both places, to get contributions from more folk. I’ll put it over there tomorrow.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2020, 08:34:31 am »
I think a post i did was in the deleted thread. It's theme was

1. I am sure the board is doing a lot of work behind the scenes.
2. If the guidance does not change then what is the point of doing updates, when there is nothing to say?
3. Giving updates risks discussions on pointless things or issues with interpretation.
4. No one knows how this is going to end so putting a plan in place may keep a lot of people busy and require writing, re-drafing, updating wording and having meeting to finalise, not to mention keeping the forums busy with discussions on things like handling cake in a Corvid-19 safe manner, but will be essentially pointless.

Audax UK must limit the amount of pointless information it gives out, otherwise they risk looking like one of the politicians in the current daily updates. Sounding earnest, dividing people into two groups, one who congratulate them on a good working and other that smiles and wonders if any of this will ever happen.

I think the current level of information has been just about right. There is no point in saying anything and getting involved in fringe discussions on the limits of interpreting the rules. Look at the mess around Dominic Cummings.

BB

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2020, 08:36:44 am »

To be fair, the thread already there hasn't produced a flood of detail from the board.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #5 on: 25 May, 2020, 09:09:27 am »

To be fair, the thread already there hasn't produced a flood of detail from the board.
That could be because there is little point in having many discussions at the moment.. ???

Just saying....

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2020, 09:29:06 am »
I am with you on this BB boy, the future is very unknown and i am sure the board are on the case.
But do we really need a plan in writing etc, everything changes daily so a statement from the board today could be worthless tomorrow.

We should all remember audax uk is run by volunteers and as such people have other things in life to worry about.
To all i would say, relax audaxing will return in time and for now the sun is out go and enjoy your bike , explore and enjoy.

« Reply #7 on: 25 May, 2020, 09:54:19 am »

To be fair, that's because no-one has asked them about it specifically. There's only really been your question about what was said to the insurers. I don't see how AUK are supposed to guess from that that people want an update on plans for any kind of validation and whether AUK are even considering that.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #8 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:15:39 am »

To be fair, that's because no-one has asked them about it specifically. There's only really been your question about what was said to the insurers. I don't see how AUK are supposed to guess from that that people want an update on plans for any kind of validation and whether AUK are even considering that.
Audax UK don't need to guess "that that people want an update on plans". It's called leadership and specifically sharing its vision with its membership. The board are all volunteers and of course they have other things to do. But suggesting that they will only consider action and let people know what the cunning plan is if people ask them to is to demean their intellect.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:24:13 am »
The deleted thread seems to have been partially reinstated, up to early May only. An interesting approach that wipes out most of what has been posted this month regarding AUK’s intentions for audax in a COVID19 world.

« Reply #10 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:29:47 am »
It's a completely different thread @LWaB. At least we can be confident you will not arbitrarily delete this one :)

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #11 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:34:44 am »
The deleted thread lies still, secure in our storage facility. We allow Masters to delete their threads, as we allow editing and deletion of posts. For this is a forum where we expect members to behave appropriately.

I shall ask the Moderation Masters if this thread should be merged with this one, it does appear to be a duplication.

Your shiny servant.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #12 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:35:56 am »
There's really only a very limited number of options for them to consider:
1. No return (for the forseeable)
2. Staged return
3. Full return (from a date to be determined)

and in the case of 2 or 3:
a. With or without modifications to the rules (see golf and tennis)
b. With or without championships (for any affected season(s)
c. With or without a dispensation for RRTY.

(2) is obviously the most attractive, but also the most complicated for volunteers to deliver.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:38:02 am »
And
d. With regional variations or uniform across the UK regions

The AUK Board indicating which of those choices was their preferred/ likely option would be sufficient, given the lack of detail provided by the UK/ England government regarding their plans for the un-lockdown process.

Thanks for the correction Ajax Bay. It just confirms my memory limitations.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #14 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:46:06 am »
We should all remember audax uk is run by volunteers and as such people have other things in life to worry about.

I suspect they have rediscovered the delights of leisure time, after many years yoked to the plough.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #15 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:46:58 am »
And
d. with regional variations or uniform across the regions

The AUK Board indicating which of those choices was their preferred/ likely option would be sufficient, given the lack of detail provided by the UK/ England government regarding their plans for the un-lockdown process.
This is the type of thing we want to avoid. What happens if Scotland and Wales have slightly different rules? Are you allowed to use motorway services that are open, but buy food and drink that is only supplied for key workers? If calender events open who monitors the number of people in controls?

It quickly gets very complex and people will have many and varied questions and opinions, and all when the rules are not clear. FFS what would be the point.

BB

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #16 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:07:03 am »
Everyone is expected to comply with whatever rules are in force per government, country, region, shop etc.  AUK doesn't need to pronounce on any of that.  If the rules are not clear, all the more reason for AUK to not get involved.

« Reply #17 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:10:55 am »
And one problem is some people need everything in life mapped out while others just go with the flow.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:14:37 am »
It affects Options 2 & 3. If AUK says no regional variations for running brevets, the rate of restarting AUK is set by the most restrictive region. Any of England (not likely), Northern Ireland (no AUK calendar brevets, only Audax Ireland brevets), Scotland or Wales could have tighter restrictions than the other regions.

The only preference (in this regard) published by the AUK Secretary was to avoid regional variations.

« Reply #19 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:20:46 am »
On this subject I will follow the advice of my club captain,  if  a hard riding audaxer is prepared to wait before riding events, that is good enough for me

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #20 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:25:57 am »
And one problem is some people need everything in life mapped out while others just go with the flow.

AUK doesn't have regulations such as "your bike must have efficient brakes" or "you must have working lights front and rear" it just says "you must comply with the Road Traffic Regs".   Same sort of thing.

In another thread on yacf there was mention of a tennis club applying to the council for permission to restart - the coucil agreed, with some provisos - no ball-handling, oo-er - and no over-70s.  An iniquitous restriction, but it's nothing to do with the club, the rule comes from a (slightly) higher authority.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:29:22 am »
On the deleted thread, a poster opined that an asymptomatic solo DIY by GPSer would be a high transmission risk by spreading the virus far and wide by purchases at each refreshment stop. The concept of mitigation measures didn’t seem to be considered.

If AUK takes the same approach, AUK will remain shut down until (if) an effective vaccine is widely distributed (perhaps never). I’d appreciate any such indication as to the medium/longterm future of AUK.

S2L

« Reply #22 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:32:11 am »
On the deleted thread, a poster opined that an asymptomatic solo DIY by GPSer would be a high transmission risk by spreading the virus far and wide by purchases at each refreshment stop. The concept of mitigation measures didn’t seem to be considered.

Yep, that was me... it's a scenario

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #23 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:57:06 am »
I assume you meant infected and asymptomatic.  Comes to that, you don't even need to be infected - anyone can be a transmitter if they're a bit careless.  We are, in case you've forgotten, exhorted to 'stay alert'.  That is not an AUK thing.

S2L

« Reply #24 on: 25 May, 2020, 12:15:27 pm »
I assume you meant infected and asymptomatic.  Comes to that, you don't even need to be infected - anyone can be a transmitter if they're a bit careless.  We are, in case you've forgotten, exhorted to 'stay alert'.  That is not an AUK thing.

The context was that there is a perception that calendar events are more risky than solo DIY, to which I said "we can't even be sure about that". To some extent, in a calendar event the organiser has scope to make an event "safe"... in a solo DIY it's down to the individual and to the circumstances, which might be beyond control.

Anyway, it's all academic