Author Topic: Stacking a fridge on top of a freezer  (Read 11358 times)

Stacking a fridge on top of a freezer
« on: 14 March, 2020, 04:45:40 pm »
I thought it would be good to have a separate fridge and freezer, but I hadn't reckoned on the lack of floor space in my flat, so I now need to stack them. Trouble is that there are kits to do that with washing machines and tumble dryers, but not fridges and freezers. I'm now looking at creating a bespoke solution involving shelving, but I can't seem to find what I need.
Basically I want to buy some shelving rails and braces and to stick a sturdy 600mm square shelf on top on which I'll put the fridge over the freezer. If anyone can point me in the right direction of somewhere that sells that sort of thing, that would be marvellous. If it could be less industrial in appearance, so much the better.

I don't have the budget or inclination to buy a combined fridge/freezer, so that option isn't open to me.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Stacking a fridge on top of a freezer
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2020, 04:51:03 pm »
Personally I’d just put a square of marine ply on top of the bottom one, and stand the other on top. It’s not like they’re likely to move around much.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2020, 04:52:10 pm »
Personally I’d just put a square of marine ply on top of the bottom one, and stand the other on top. It’s not like they’re likely to move around much.

Agreed. That's what I would do.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2020, 04:54:20 pm »
I suspect the weight would possibly cause bowing and compromise the freezer's seals. They're not designed to have that weight on top of them, are they?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2020, 05:00:48 pm »
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/cat/legs-trestles-11845/    4 height adjustable table legs screwed to a square of wood or ply ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2020, 05:19:24 pm »
I suspect the weight would possibly cause bowing and compromise the freezer's seals. They're not designed to have that weight on top of them, are they?

Hence some 3/4” marine ply. That’ll not bow and will help spread the load over a wider area. You won’t bend it enough to compromise seals, if at all.

« Reply #6 on: 14 March, 2020, 05:23:44 pm »
I'm not worried about bowing the shelf, but the weight on the freezer may do so...

« Reply #7 on: 14 March, 2020, 05:24:19 pm »
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/cat/legs-trestles-11845/    4 height adjustable table legs screwed to a square of wood or ply ?

Or two brackets on the wall and two legs.

Or even just a couple of nice stair rails risers (whatever they are called) from B&Q

« Reply #8 on: 14 March, 2020, 05:27:03 pm »
I'm not worried about bowing the shelf, but the weight on the freezer may do so...

Really, it won’t. They’re much more robust that you’re anticipating.

« Reply #9 on: 14 March, 2020, 05:27:58 pm »
Thanks, I've looked at that option now. The issue is that I haven't got much space to work with and those legs are 50-60mm in diameter and I only have 625mm width to play with, so something slimline is needed.

« Reply #10 on: 14 March, 2020, 06:37:37 pm »
I did this recently for Miss Ham's flat, as has been mentioned, there's no worry about distorting the frame, the feet are at the edge and very unlikely to cause distortion. What you need to think of is locating it securely in the horizontal plane. If you can reduce the side to side movement, front to back should look after itself. The typical freezer top is some kind of plastic, which makes slipping about more of an issue. Think about using padding on each side to locate it

« Reply #11 on: 14 March, 2020, 07:17:19 pm »
Twinslot perhaps if you can fit them in the available space which would need ply shelf and to be fully screwed as you will have a cantilever projection or alternatively, again if space allows. stong brackets. Reach height may be an issue and can be a bit industrial. What is either side of the freezer?

https://www.toolstation.com/strong-stay-bracket/p62650
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: 14 March, 2020, 08:44:06 pm »
Make sure you leave space around the back of the fridge and freezer to allow air to circulate to the hot bits. That is especially important if there is something solid on one or both sides.

The easier it is for the heat to get away from the hot bits, the less electricity they use.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...