Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 335376 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #125 on: 13 April, 2011, 08:29:23 pm »
My first ever Spork.
Landmark moment in my life? I think so.
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #126 on: 13 April, 2011, 08:30:05 pm »
My first ever Spork.

You'll never forget your first time.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #127 on: 13 April, 2011, 08:52:02 pm »
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #128 on: 13 April, 2011, 09:02:19 pm »
I dunno.  The memory of mine a bit misty.  A sort of fog on the tine, if you like.
Getting there...

« Reply #129 on: 13 April, 2011, 09:10:53 pm »
An Outwell pop up tent. May get it's first use over the May bank holiday.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #130 on: 13 April, 2011, 09:22:39 pm »
Ive totaly gone camping bonkers. I have loads of stuff that I could have used though I wanna do some loooonnggg solo rides this year.
So purchased over the last week is

Sony ICFS22 personal radio. (Lost my old one)
Terra Nova Laser Comp new smaller pack size for 2011
Terra Nova ground Sheet
Thermarest Prolite Small
Snugpack Kestral Softie 6
Snow Peak Spork (no idea why ?)

All I need know is a canister of propane/butane mix for the stove and Im done

Reason for all this is my other stuff was way two heavy. I even sold my old Altura pannier bags for some lightweight Carradice Kendals.

I was gonna ditch the stove and live on Ginsters pasties though I know Id miss it. All I need now is to put it all into pratice.
Bring it on.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #131 on: 13 April, 2011, 10:12:05 pm »
Even living on pasties, the stove gets service for that essential morning brew.  :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #132 on: 14 April, 2011, 01:35:30 am »
It's not actually....oh, never mind.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #133 on: 14 April, 2011, 10:32:56 am »
Snow Peak Spork (no idea why ?)

They're great for shorter trips, but we found after 2 months away we had to go shopping for new irons.

« Reply #134 on: 14 April, 2011, 11:35:13 pm »
My Vargo titanium spork is coming up to three years old and hasn't shattered yet :smug:

Honey stove arrived today, the usual excellent service from backpackinglight: free pack of Skittles and a thoughtful handwritten note. 

« Reply #135 on: 16 April, 2011, 11:17:11 am »
I got my BackPackingLight order today (delayed because of picking up the parcel from a neighbour).  Lots of goodies, although I now need to buy a slightly larger gas cannister, to fit inside the cookset!

It turns out that the squeezy tubes that I bought, are actually a set of two, and since I bought several, I know have enough for a lifetime of use. ;D

The night light lamp and neoprene cover are also very neat, as is the simple tripod arrangement to put on the bottom of gas cannisters, to make the stove more stable.

I also got a packet of Skittles (nom nom nom), and a CD-ROM of some TheOutdoorsStation.co.uk videos, which was mildly amusing to watch, and I'd possibly buy some of the products, after watching that, if I needed those sort of things.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #136 on: 16 April, 2011, 05:17:42 pm »
I just tried out my new Crux Weekend HE Cook System, and it boiled a cup of water in less than a minute, which is pretty good. :thumbsup: :)

PH

« Reply #137 on: 17 April, 2011, 12:43:33 pm »
I bought a sewing machine, not strictly camping kit, but there's a few things I'd like that are either not available or I think I could make better/cheaper.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #138 on: 17 April, 2011, 12:57:03 pm »
I was planning to buy an Alpkit Rig7 tarp, but it now appears that they've managed to sell six months worth of stock in less than two weeks after some magazines said rather nice things about them. Arsebiscuits!

In the end, I bought myself a new cookset and a couple of Platypus water carriers and kept myself amused by reading the pages of the "Great Falls Tribune" which were used as packing material for my White Box stove :)

« Reply #139 on: 18 April, 2011, 08:39:21 pm »
Bought a bog standard hi gear ripstop ground sheet.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #140 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:13:27 pm »
Opinel saw, 2nd-hand for £13.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #141 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:17:51 pm »
Got a GoSystems gas adaptor for my Trangia from SportsDirect for £20.  :thumbsup:
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #142 on: 20 April, 2011, 07:07:25 pm »
I made a shopping raid on Clas Ohlson today, and amongst other things bought one of the cheap spirit stove kits.

It's OK, but a bit bulky for I guess what's supposed to be a compact cooking set.  The burner looks very cheap, I've never seen a Trangia burner close enough to make the comparison, but this one appears to be as cheap as you could make a spirit burner, probably comparable to a home made coke can one, only you can screw a lid on this one.

The suacepans/bowls are OK, but a little too wide, and not that deep, compared to most cooksets.  The lid is slightly ramped, so it'll fit either saucepan, but consequently is compromised as a flat plate or frying pan.

The handle appears to be almost identical to a Trangia one, so is a useful spare.

I also bought some cheap LED torches.  One of those is a windup one, which I've left on, so I can see how easily it can be charged up.  It's probably useful as a "wandering around campsite" torch, since my Exposure bike lights are often far too bright for this purpose.

I got a heap of cheap accessory Karabinas, £3-99 for 30, which should last me for the indefinite future!

Whilst I was near Blacks, I popped in there, and bought a gas cannister for my real stove!

« Reply #143 on: 23 April, 2011, 04:49:07 pm »
Bought a 2" second IIII pop up tent from Decathlon today. Ideal for our overnight stops on the way to the alps.
Saves pitching the 6 person Sprayway (and potential arguments!)
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #144 on: 24 April, 2011, 12:10:52 pm »
Bought a 2" second IIII pop up tent from Decathlon today. Ideal for our overnight stops on the way to the alps.
Saves pitching the 6 person Sprayway (and potential arguments!)

This is why we bought Decathlon Pop Ups.  Practice folding them up before you go unless you want to provide a great deal of amusement for other campers.  I have watched people struggle for 30 minutes or more.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #145 on: 25 April, 2011, 06:50:38 pm »
Bought my first bit of camping titanium - a mug.

And some gas, and lots of pegs for our big car camping tent after this morning when all the plastic ones supplied with the tent came out of the ground as bent as.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #146 on: 25 April, 2011, 10:50:01 pm »
Camping gas, plus some solid fuel.

« Reply #147 on: 26 April, 2011, 12:51:41 am »
Bought my first bit of camping titanium - a mug.

And some gas, and lots of pegs for our big car camping tent after this morning when all the plastic ones supplied with the tent came out of the ground as bent as.

Congrats! Now you need a ti spork to go with it!

« Reply #148 on: 29 April, 2011, 11:00:16 pm »
I have started my camping shopping, and have just ordered a Numo inflatable mat, 2 dry sacks, 2 orbiter pouches and a Gamma fandango head torch from Alpkit.

I'm still deciding on which sleeping bag to get, since I want one that will go down really small aswell as being light, and I would quite like it not to be mummy shaped because I like to kick about some in the night after a long ride  ;D

The tent is probably going to be the Laser Photon 1 at 790g fully packed.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #149 on: 29 April, 2011, 11:05:11 pm »
After leaving my original on a train last year, I've bought my second Snugpak Travelpak lite.  Feline, these summer bags are very small and light and are excellent quality.  They're mummy bags but you should still look at them.  After all, extra kick space means extra pack size.