Author Topic: Office chairs  (Read 3405 times)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Office chairs
« on: 03 March, 2021, 10:31:54 am »
I have been using the same chair at my desk for around twenty or more years.  It suited me well. Unlike the always cheap ones at work.  Sadly my home desk chair is simply worn out. I need a new one.

How do we choose a new chair?  I looked online I could see why a £80 chair (few adjustments) is worse than a £160 chair but struggle to see why the more expensive models are better or worse than each other.

Re: Office chairs
« Reply #1 on: 03 March, 2021, 10:53:52 am »
They can be a bit like saddles - what suits one person...
I think that the more expensive ones use better gas struts for a start - the cheaper chairs start to slowly lower you to the floor after a few years when used all day.  At work we tend to buy from second-hand office furniture suppliers (when they used to be open) but then our work means a lot of mud and dust gets brought in to the office so brand new stuff quickly gets dirty.  A lot of places seem to get their furniture changed regularly so you can often get a good quality chair for about a third of the price.  We bought a couple of Okamura chairs for less than £300 each that would be around £1k new.  That is still a lot more than the cheaper chairs are new but they are very comfortable to use and still look and work like new.  Have a look on-line and see if there are any second-hand suppliers near you and then you ought to be able to go and look in about 3 weeks (can they open on the 29th?).  I have just looked on-line at one of the suppliers near us and their most expensive "operators" chair is £225 and the cheapest £49.  (all plus VAT)

« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2021, 11:04:21 am »
I was about to recommend the ones we get at work - then I googled it:
https://ewop.co.uk/products/everyis1-office-task-chair-142e

£471    :o

I'll start taking better care of it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2021, 11:53:45 am »
Many years ago I was an IT contractor and that meant I sat in hundreds if not thousands of office chairs. I remember when I worked for Motorola, the chairs were unbelievably good. Everyone there has Herman Miller Aeron chairs. As a result, I bought two, about 20 years ago, and they are still so good, barely worn in, so it will be many years before they are worn out. They were not cheap but what price for a life of comfort?

PS. I don't suggest you buy one, I suggest you find the opportunity to sit on one and make your own mind up, because, as ever, YMMV.

I bought one of those off e-bay, for about £280 I think. Still got it 15 years later, and it is exceptional. A day in that chair is worth an hour in an ordinary one, in terms of discomfort.
It is simpler than it looks.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2021, 12:00:19 pm »
Another vote for Herman Miller Aeron here. Yes, they are expensive, but that is because they are exceptional chairs and imho worth every penny. There’s nearly always a few for sale on eBay which is a good thing because the new price is eye watering yet high.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2021, 12:06:11 pm »
There are loads of Aerons on Ebay.  There is also a good availability of spares for them in case things break or get shabby.   This can be a consideration.

My own chair is a Humanscale Freedom,  very comfy, but less popular than the Aeron, so if I want to replace the arm pads which have split I'll have to go via a main dealer & pay ££!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6 on: 03 March, 2021, 12:11:51 pm »
There are a few places that resell office chairs, i used Corporate Spec last year when i realised that I needed a proper chair as i wouldn't get to go back to the office.
https://corporatespec.com/

As others have said, what works for me might not for you, my other half hates my chair with a passion.
Just someone's butler

« Reply #7 on: 03 March, 2021, 12:50:59 pm »
Another vote for Herman Miller Aeron.
I swapped my Fred Scott Supporto chair (The chair which changed office chair design forever) for a HM. The only thing I've done to the HM is I've added a headrest, as I was used to the Supporto's high back.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 03 March, 2021, 01:05:58 pm »
I am still fummin' at the time I declined the offer to buy Charlotte's surplus Aeron having bought a new office chair from the Happy Swedish Halls Of Joy the previous week.  Which I subsequently discovered to be crap.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 03 March, 2021, 07:21:08 pm »

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #10 on: 03 March, 2021, 07:42:32 pm »
Another vote for Herman Miller Aeron.
I swapped my Fred Scott Supporto chair (The chair which changed office chair design forever) for a HM. The only thing I've done to the HM is I've added a headrest, as I was used to the Supporto's high back.

I'm rather liking mine, I thought a Medium would be a bit tight for me but it's bang on (183cmish and cough 95kg)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #11 on: 04 March, 2021, 09:44:59 pm »
I plan to buy a V46 from Hood Seating. Unless one of you say I should not.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 04 March, 2021, 11:16:30 pm »
I am still fummin' at the time I declined the offer to buy Charlotte's surplus Aeron having bought a new office chair from the Happy Swedish Halls Of Joy the previous week.  Which I subsequently discovered to be crap.

Mr. Larrington is jealous of my buttocks. I am sitting in that very chair as I type.

A month or two ago the gas cylinder let me down, in more ways than one. I bought another, complete with the pulling tool to remove the old one, from somewhere in the US of A, and I completed the job. Of course, although the new cylinder fits, I have no idea if it's going to be of the quality of the old one.

I think I must have had this chair well over 4 years now - I remember that Jan and I went to Perivale in our red Nissan Leaf, and it's 4 years ago last September that we got rid of that. This chair has had a lot bulk to put up with in that time.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 04 March, 2021, 11:16:57 pm »
D can't abide arm rests.
I NEED them as I can't rise from a seated position with out using my hands.

D's office chair was found dumped on the street. He removed the arm rests.
My office chair came from IKEA about 20 years ago. Arm rests might have been extra. Castors were too.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 04 March, 2021, 11:39:57 pm »
One of the castors just came off my the Happy Swedish Halls Of Joy chair chiz.  Fortunately there are two on each of its five leggy-things but even so.

Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #15 on: 05 March, 2021, 09:40:04 am »
No armrests here either. Basically, their dismissal results in a kama sutra of additional desk-wise positioning.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #16 on: 05 March, 2021, 01:35:54 pm »
I've got a JÄRVFJÄLLET from IKEA, which I find comfortable for long days at my desk.  Mr R has a Herman Mill Aeron but I really couldn't convince myself it was worth the extra money...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ian

« Reply #17 on: 05 March, 2021, 01:43:17 pm »
I gave my exec chair, don't ask me the make, it was £750 quid when I procured it from the mothership, to my wife when her crappy chair broke (plus she was complaining about her back). I have a simple Ikea one now and it's actually quite nice so I've not bothered swapping them, plus that exec chair weights a tonne and I'd have to lug it back down the stairs. And she's stopped complaining.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 05 March, 2021, 01:46:31 pm »
Seems to me that the Aeron has somehow won at marketing (which isn't to say it's not good).  There are plenty of other brands of high-end chairs with similar features and ergonomic adjustments, and they tend to be better at different things.

I'd suggest that the best approach would be to get a proper ergonomic assessment (ie. the chair equivalent of a bike fit).  No idea how you go about that when your employer/AtW/DSA aren't paying.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #19 on: 05 March, 2021, 04:04:51 pm »
If you agree to buy chairs from the company, many will do it for free or charge £50 otherwise. I can recommend Total Back Care centre in Birmingham as small and very good and lovely. I've used them with wonky students and I got to use them myself for my latest AtW/work ergo jibbling.

They were able to recommend suitable stuff for my weird lower back curve and were very sensible about my very wonkiness. If the new work chair is good, I might see if I can weasel one for home somehow.

« Reply #20 on: 05 March, 2021, 04:20:25 pm »
My office chair came from IKEA about 20 years ago. Arm rests might have been extra. Castors were too.

I have an Ikea Renberget on which they have sneakily made the arms the main structural support for the back, which means it has no adjustment and the arms can't be removed, and you can get it no closer to your desk than (medium-sized fish gesture) this much.

They're banking on you not really noticing this until you get it home. And it was cheap.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21 on: 05 March, 2021, 04:28:57 pm »
Seems to me that the Aeron has somehow won at marketing (which isn't to say it's not good).  There are plenty of other brands of high-end chairs with similar features and ergonomic adjustments, and they tend to be better at different things.

I'd suggest that the best approach would be to get a proper ergonomic assessment (ie. the chair equivalent of a bike fit).  No idea how you go about that when your employer/AtW/DSA aren't paying.

Yes, when you buy a chair you probably have it for the best part of a decade. I chose an Aeron because at a place of work I had one provided and discovered how god they are. What you need is a warehouse with a lot of chairs to go and try out over the course of a day.

Of course, buying things is cheaper on the internet...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #22 on: 05 March, 2021, 04:42:55 pm »

Yes, when you buy a chair you probably have it for the best part of a decade. I chose an Aeron because at a place of work I had one provided and discovered how god they are. What you need is a warehouse with a lot of chairs to go and try out over the course of a day.

Of course, buying things is cheaper on the internet...
I reupholstered my second-hand (it was destined for a skip) Supporto and spent the best part of 25 years sitting in it.
Having cleaned it to get rid of the 'boy dirt'  ;D someone else is now getting further mileage from it.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #23 on: 05 March, 2021, 04:58:10 pm »
I broke my office chair the other night. It was a very old, cheap swivel chair that had performed perfectly adequately for 15+ years for about £25. I can't get annoyed about its failure.

I am not buying any chair that costs £1000, even if it's gold plated and comes with hot and cold running masseuses. I have spent £130 on what looks like a fairly posh chair on Amazon. I will report back after a suitable road test.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #24 on: 05 March, 2021, 06:08:21 pm »
The main issue I have with those Aeron things is that they're HUGE, designed for the ISO standard man and I am below the average height for a woman at 5'3". Man-size chairs are always stupidly oversized for me and don't work at all.

If you think office chairs are expensive, look at wheelchairs sometime, the good ones, the ones that actual full-time, self propelling/operating users use. Thousands of pounds and have to work for 16-18 hours a day of use and not be shit (where not-shit is a series of compromises).