Author Topic: 16th May - the day 'lockdown' ended?  (Read 3756 times)

Re: 16th May - the day 'lockdown' ended?
« Reply #25 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:16:50 am »
Didn’t take long for the belllends to reappear, walking along a country lane yesterday my left arm was brushed by the wing mirror of a 3 series convertible squeezing through the gap between me and the cyclists on the opposite side.

I didn’t think I had language like that in me

A

« Reply #26 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:34:37 am »
Riding in twos with people outside your household is legal.

Apologies, yes, I’ve just seen that. What isn’t at all clear is whether or not the 2metre rule still applies. As usual, the guidelines are badly framed and written.
It says “ you can exercise with one other from outside your household “
In the next paragraph it says that you must stay 2 meters from anyone from outside your household.
The new rules? Regulations? Guidelines? are written with all forms of exercise in mind

Otherwise, the only way to get within 2 metres of your mistress, girlfriend, parent etc is to take them on a bike ride. :-)

Social distancing applies to cycling.   Though a linear two metres may not be effective due to slipstream effects & wind carry etc.  I suspect 2m distance side by side maybe not be working from what I saw.

meet one other person from a different household outdoors - following social distancing guidelines
exercise outdoors as often as you wish - following social distancing guidelines
  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do#public-spaces--outdoor-activities--exercise

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #27 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:40:51 am »

Apologies, yes, I’ve just seen that. What isn’t at all clear is whether or not the 2metre rule still applies. As usual, the guidelines are badly framed and written.
It says “ you can exercise with one other from outside your household “
In the next paragraph it says that you must stay 2 meters from anyone from outside your household.
The new rules? Regulations? Guidelines? are written with all forms of exercise in mind

Otherwise, the only way to get within 2 metres of your mistress, girlfriend, parent etc is to take them on a bike ride. :-)

I disagree - I think that it is very clear on this page linked directly from the main https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus page.

There are a limited number of things you can now do that you could not do before:

spend time outdoors – for example sitting and enjoying the fresh air, picnicking, or sunbathing
meet one other person from a different household outdoors - following social distancing guidelines
exercise outdoors as often as you wish - following social distancing guidelines
use outdoor sports courts or facilities, such as a tennis or basketball court, or golf course – with members of your household, or one other person while staying 2 metres apart
go to a garden centre
At all times, you should continue to observe social distancing guidelines when you are outside your home, including ensuring you are 2 metres away from anyone outside your household.

« Reply #28 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:54:06 am »

Only in England - not in the rest of the UK. Though it doesn't seem to stop some people... :(

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #29 on: 17 May, 2020, 10:05:45 am »
We went out for 35 miles yesterday.  Saw lots of other cyclists, never more than twos.  Traffic seemed almost pre-lockdown in town and on local roads but the A419 was quiet when we went over it.  I think people are just scuttling to the garden centres.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #30 on: 17 May, 2020, 11:00:38 am »
I've not been into the centre of Oxford in ages, but Headington was quiet yesterday.
On the other hand, my neighbours had a BBQ with several parents of small kids on our street (they've been in and out of each other's back-gardens for weeks), and a few people I've not seen before.  >:(
It's strange how it seems to have been fraying at the edges since Sunday. Some people seem to have decided it's over, some (especially on social media) are zealous about how stuff should not be re-opening.

In terms of cycling - if you are looking straight ahead and travelling at a reasonable speed, most of your breath is in a cone behind you. So if you are side-by-side with someone, but not talking to them or looking at them, I would expect the distance between you to be equivalent to a much larger distance if not moving. It would be interesting to know how this effect would manifest itself when talking to each other, at various speeds.

« Reply #31 on: 17 May, 2020, 01:06:22 pm »
Walking and running has been simulated by CFD on supercomputers.
I cannot find a similar study for cycling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTzjC5HATXg

« Reply #32 on: 17 May, 2020, 01:10:46 pm »
The evidence from my ride (solo) today is that people have seen the bit about riding with one other from another household, but haven’t read the full document where it does make it clear that the 2 metre rule still prevails whatever.
To be frank, it’s a very poorly framed and drafted document. That’s what happens when a Prime Minister goes feral and doesn’t follow due process.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 17 May, 2020, 06:00:40 pm »
I've just done a 70mile survey of Oxon roads* - it was a delightful ride, thanks for asking - and was all ready to blast away here on how my observations compared to the OP ...

... but now I see it's just another sprawling Corona-thread, so I can't be bothered :P

*from Thames level to 200m ASL.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #34 on: 17 May, 2020, 08:21:16 pm »
I've just done a 70mile survey of Oxon roads* - it was a delightful ride, thanks for asking - and was all ready to blast away here on how my observations compared to the OP ...

... but now I see it's just another sprawling Corona-thread, so I can't be bothered :P

*from Thames level to 200m ASL.

Sunday innit.   Had a muppet driver squeeze past me while I was 'taking the lane' today.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #35 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:30:23 pm »
Most cyclists seem to have stayed off the North Pennine roads this w/e.  Too many idiotic motorbikes roaring over Hartside, Yad Moss etc. Toileting on the roadsides and in car parks, congregating outside shops and takeaways, no attempt to social distance, barging into shops, absolute no respect for local community.

« Reply #36 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:32:33 pm »
That's bikers for you.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #37 on: 17 May, 2020, 10:06:55 pm »
Went for a longer ride today, using the delights of Ride with GPS to pick a route far too wiggly to remember which it took in as many roads that I don't normally ride but still remaining close to home.  Most of them have pretty rubbish surfaces but it has been so dry recently that their condition wasn't a problem.  When I did cross main roads traffic was a lot lighter than usual.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)