Author Topic: Mongolia  (Read 1478 times)

Mongolia
« on: 01 December, 2023, 10:32:52 am »
Unlike us in the UK, they drive on the right.
All of the vehicles I've seen on Streetview, are right-hand drive.
How does that work?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Mongolia
« Reply #1 on: 01 December, 2023, 10:59:36 am »
Work in what sense? Presumably the vehicles are Japanese used exports. And if you mean, how does it affect their driving, presumably it does, but eg Sweden used to drive on the left with LHD vehicles.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 01 December, 2023, 11:02:48 am »
Better parking as you can see kerb, and people don’t pass cyclists so close as failing to realise width of vehicle no longer a problem.

« Reply #3 on: 01 December, 2023, 05:48:03 pm »
IIRC, a lot of lorries in Italy before about 1980 were RHD. Here is an example:- https://c.wallhere.com/photos/4d/26/old_italy_classic_truck_vintage_antique_lorry_camion-850379.jpg!d

OTOH, Australia (left hand traffic like the UK) doesn't normally allow LHD vehicles to be registered there.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2023, 06:12:33 pm »
Far Eastern Russia is the same, because secondhand Japanese imports.  Everything you never needed to know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-_and_right-hand_traffic#Worldwide_distribution_by_country
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #5 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:34:20 pm »
How does that work?

Are you doing some route checking for planning a trip to Mongolia???!!!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:42:13 pm »
Jurek is the Streetview Queen. He is trying to find his way in front of the Google car’s camera in every country in the world.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:43:46 pm »
How does that work?

Are you doing some route checking for planning a trip to Mongolia???!!!
And wondering whether to take the RHD Brompton or the LHD Moulton?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 02 December, 2023, 08:06:26 am »
Jurek is the Streetview Queen. He is trying to find his way in front of the Google car’s camera in every country in the world.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alashan_ground_squirrel
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9 on: 02 December, 2023, 01:19:29 pm »
Driving the RHD van in France was no problem except turning right at junctions sharply-angled to the right.  The only way to do it was to position the van as if turning left but being sure to signal a right turn.  And of course there'd always be some smart arse who ignored the signal and tried to cut you up.   In one town the French authorities acknowledge the problem on  particular junction with special road marking for British vans so maybe they have a similar remedy in Mongolia?
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #10 on: 03 December, 2023, 02:17:34 pm »
A friend who lives in Auvergne claims that there is a street in Puy-en-Velay where traffic drives on the left.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 03 December, 2023, 02:28:23 pm »
Driving the RHD van in France was no problem except turning right at junctions sharply-angled to the right.  The only way to do it was to position the van as if turning left but being sure to signal a right turn.  And of course there'd always be some smart arse who ignored the signal and tried to cut you up.   In one town the French authorities acknowledge the problem on  particular junction with special road marking for British vans so maybe they have a similar remedy in Mongolia?
It's the same shape and size as a LHD van, with the same steering, so the problem is one of perspective – unlearning well-learned visual cues. If, as Jurek says, the Mongolians are used to this situation, they won't find it a problem.

But the best way to see Mongolia has to be on a horse.

« Reply #12 on: 03 December, 2023, 02:28:41 pm »
...furthermore, traffic to the Savoy Hotel in the Strand drives on the right.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13 on: 03 December, 2023, 05:23:48 pm »
There are quite a few anti-clockwise one way systems around the UK, I'm planning to start och hills! from one of them next year.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: 05 December, 2023, 04:03:31 pm »

« Reply #15 on: 05 December, 2023, 06:27:40 pm »

« Reply #16 on: 05 December, 2023, 07:41:06 pm »
I don't think there's a cycle lane there (unless you count the cycle gap) at the Old Oak Road end - it looks to me as though they're trying to cut off use as a ratrun to Old Oak Road, while preserving the cut through in the other direction, and retaining both two-way property access and allowing cyclists to continue to pass through.

It all feels a lot more complex than more conventional LTN infrastructure though - I don't see what's wrong with a No Entry (well, No Exit I suppose ...) sign at the other end, possibly camera enforced, and a cycle bypass.