Author Topic: I carried this on my bicycle  (Read 214319 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: I carried this on my bicycle
« Reply #75 on: 28 February, 2011, 12:36:13 pm »
A complete motorbike exhaust, on the rack.

What to i win?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #76 on: 28 February, 2011, 08:02:49 pm »
Exhaustion?  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #77 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:20:29 am »
Ah Beatrix, I do miss her.

She'll be back soon hopefully having just been stripped down. She's skipped versions 3,4 and 5 and gone straight to 6 ;)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #78 on: 02 March, 2011, 10:27:56 am »
Unfortunately I was driving so I couldn't take a pic - spotted yesterday: Chav on a BSO complete with hoodie (hood up almost obscuring face  ::-) ) carrying double drainer stainless steel kitchen sink top under one arm. He was struggling a bit but full marks to him.  :thumbsup:
There's no vibrations, but wait.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #79 on: 02 March, 2011, 10:35:58 am »
Ah Beatrix, I do miss her.

She'll be back soon hopefully having just been stripped down. She's skipped versions 3,4 and 5 and gone straight to 6 ;)

Shurely that should be "Gone straight up to 11" :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #80 on: 01 December, 2011, 10:22:58 pm »

Not really *on* it, but anyway. More pics on Brompton on a trailer behind a recumbent. The recumbent had to go the dealer 35km away and stay there for 24h+. Public transport from me to there... it's faster to cycle, so I brought another bike to cycle back with: the Brompton.
Oh, and the S-bag on the front of the trailer, just behind the rear wheel, was not such a good idea.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #81 on: 01 December, 2011, 11:25:41 pm »
In the absence of a trailer or cargo bike, I'm afraid this is the best I can offer:

At least two people asked me, during my ride home, if I was taking someone to the vet.  The poor thing would have been shaken to bits!
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #82 on: 01 December, 2011, 11:27:17 pm »
Ooh, a Brompton block to Givi adaptor... Hmmmm...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #83 on: 01 December, 2011, 11:38:17 pm »
At least two people asked me, during my ride home, if I was taking someone to the vet.

Ah, in that case, we might as well have Zev:

What she lacked in size or weight, she made up for by being astoundingly cooperative.

« Reply #84 on: 02 December, 2011, 08:29:56 am »
What she lacked in size or weight, she made up for by being astoundingly cooperative.

And she's still pretty cooperative, barely complaining about travelling by bicycle trailer, although she's made up the weight and volume bit by quite a way, being about three times heavier now!

It'll be interesting in a weeks time, to see how she and Kai get on, sharing a carrier to the cattery!  If things become daft, I'll do it in two goes, it's only a couple of miles to the cattery, but they should easily fit in the larger carrier, assuming I can get it on the trailer OK.

That may not be true in the future, depending on exactly how big she gets.  Kai is already a medium sized cat.  If she gets big, I suspect that there won't be room for two of them!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #85 on: 02 December, 2011, 08:50:19 am »
At least two people asked me, during my ride home, if I was taking someone to the vet.

Ah, in that case, we might as well have Zev:

I admire your weapon of choice Kimster or, "Come on who wants some!!?" Namely: a small table leg. Curious as to why you have (so it appears) a brass plate with YACF on it?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #86 on: 02 December, 2011, 09:40:08 am »
I admire your weapon of choice Kimster or, "Come on who wants some!!?" Namely: a small table leg. Curious as to why you have (so it appears) a brass plate with YACF on it?

You missed this, entirely? :o

I suspect Zev is the only (forum) cat whose been involved with it!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Riggers

« Reply #87 on: 02 December, 2011, 03:24:43 pm »

You missed this, entirely? :o

I suspect Zev is the only (forum) cat whose been involved with it!

I did. Where the hell was I then? Asleep!?

« Reply #88 on: 05 December, 2011, 09:54:21 am »
Has anyone seen this? Cargo bikes seem to be a bit of a meme at the moment - there are several near where I live, as well as Xtracycles Yubas, etc. I have to say that I think a good cargo bike plus moderate E-assist is a really practical option. I just wish they were a bit cheaper and the li-ion battery tech was a bit more reliable.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/aVjFq0Yni0I

Si_Co

« Reply #89 on: 05 December, 2011, 12:39:36 pm »
One of these on my back with a bungee

Yes that is back as i have no rack

Riggers

« Reply #90 on: 05 December, 2011, 12:48:08 pm »
Has anyone seen this? Cargo bikes seem to be a bit of a meme at the moment - there are several near where I live, as well as Xtracycles Yubas, etc. I have to say that I think a good cargo bike plus moderate E-assist is a really practical option. I just wish they were a bit cheaper and the li-ion battery tech was a bit more reliable.

Great video. Girl on the front at around 2:40 looks like my wife!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #91 on: 05 December, 2011, 04:28:48 pm »
I did once bring a wire laundry basket home from the shops. As I had no rack suitable, I improvised shoulder straps out of some random cordage and wore it home like a rucksack. Not the best of ideas but it seemed to get back OK.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #92 on: 05 December, 2011, 04:59:45 pm »
Reminds me of the days of my penniless youth, when I scraped together enough money to buy an old Cossor valve oscillograph from New Cross Radio in Manchester (not even new enough to be called an oscilloscope). They built them very solidly in those days, and this was a big dual beam model - which went into a rucksack (I didn't think my pannier rack would survive the load) and ridden back up the hill the 10 miles to Oldham. Of course, being a penniless youth I didn't have a rucksack with fancy backsystem, or even a waist strap to put the load onto my hips.

It was one of these

which according to this page was a smidge under 42lbs. The name "portable oscillograph" was probably intended to be ironic.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #93 on: 05 December, 2011, 05:00:29 pm »

Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

*want*
Getting there...

« Reply #94 on: 05 December, 2011, 05:25:45 pm »
that's a great video

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #95 on: 05 December, 2011, 08:13:15 pm »
Reminds me of the days of my penniless youth, when I scraped together enough money to buy an old Cossor valve oscillograph from New Cross Radio in Manchester (not even new enough to be called an oscilloscope). They built them very solidly in those days, and this was a big dual beam model - which went into a rucksack (I didn't think my pannier rack would survive the load) and ridden back up the hill the 10 miles to Oldham. Of course, being a penniless youth I didn't have a rucksack with fancy backsystem, or even a waist strap to put the load onto my hips.

It was one of these

which according to this page was a smidge under 42lbs. The name "portable oscillograph" was probably intended to be ironic.

I once carried a logic analyser which was pretty bloody heavy and about the size of a largeish tower desktop PC case across London running for trains.  It might not be as heavy as this but I'm kinda tiny and girlsized and girlstrengthed...  It was only once on my final train I realised my knuckles had split from carrying the sodding thing - and it never sodding worked (corrupt something or other) so a bit of a crap gift for resident electronics geek.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #96 on: 06 December, 2011, 11:16:23 pm »
I managed to carry a tandem on my trike

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bwDLKcw4zo4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/bwDLKcw4zo4&rel=1</a>
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #97 on: 06 December, 2011, 11:20:38 pm »
Margaret Hilda!
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #98 on: 06 December, 2011, 11:37:14 pm »
A trike on your tandem, surely?

Woteva u kawl it, chapeau!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #99 on: 07 December, 2011, 07:44:19 am »
Nope, I was returning Margeret Hilda, and the trike is mine (and what I rode home on).

I can thoroughly recommend riding a combo like this though. It may not be fast, but the car drivers give you all the road space that you want.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!