Author Topic: Norfolk 'n' Good Audax - Help finding old routes  (Read 1400 times)

Norfolk 'n' Good Audax - Help finding old routes
« on: 05 April, 2022, 01:00:32 pm »
I know that these events stopped a few years ago, but I wondered if anyone had copies of the routes, mainly the Norfolk Nips and specifically the one with the control at Syderstone (from memory it came back via Reepham) or Castle Acre. Or any of the others including some of the 200k routes. I did a 100k in 2012 which also had a 200k option with one food control being in Salthouse (passed through Walsingham before there), just before Bard Hill and I'd like to revisit the 200k at some point in the summer.

It'd be especially handy as there aren't many local rides for Norfolk and the Arrivee that was used is about half a mile from my house. Having done the East Anglian Tour on Saturday as a perm (currently waiting validation), I wanted to try and do at least one or two of the Nips rides I had done previously before LWL on the 30th April.

I've a friend who is trying to organise a calendar ride in Norfolk, but has had some issues with getting the routes approved so these could potentially form the basis of a revival to the Norfolk Audax scene.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Norfolk 'n' Good Audax - Help finding old routes
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2022, 01:38:21 pm »
I've got route sheets and GPXs on file from the 1, 2 and 3 100km events in 2011/2. Drop me a PM with your email. Would be good to see them on again, although they were a fair trip for me. I did a number of them on my trike, I recall - the whole series at least once, I think.

« Reply #3 on: 05 April, 2022, 01:50:01 pm »
It also looks like the three 100k rides are on ridewithgps uploaded by various people: https://ridewithgps.com/find#search/0/search%5Bexclude_trips%5D=true&search%5Bkeywords%5D=norfolk%20nips&search%5Broutes%5D=true&search%5Bsort_by%5D=rank%20DESC

Thanks. Didn't even think to search Ride with GPS. Now I need to remember the names of the other rides.

« Reply #4 on: 05 April, 2022, 01:55:25 pm »
My recollection is that these rides died because they were being overtaken and abused by a number of cycling clubs.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #5 on: 05 April, 2022, 02:00:49 pm »
My recollection is that these rides died because they were being overtaken and abused by a number of cycling clubs.

I think it was also the case that some of the more commercial sportive organisers started doing series of "reliability rides" over the winter which didn't help.

Really enjoyed the rides, think I only did two of the nips in separate years and one other 100k but you seemed to get food that cost more than the entry fee so great value. Sue even tried to talk me into doing LEL at a point where me and a friend had got lost on a short route and not been ridiculously far off the cut off.

John Thompson does a great job to keep some rides going in Norfolk/Suffolk and have done both the Norfolk Special and Silly Suffolk, but even if there can only be a small amount of calendar rides, would be nice to get some perms setup.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #6 on: 05 April, 2022, 02:13:55 pm »
From memory, there were some from John Innes Centre and some from Hellesdon

In addition to the nips I recall
Beeston Bump (100)
Muddle & go nowhere (200) (rode)
Old Squit (200) (rode)
?Norfolk Mardle (???)
and of course the Seething (600), from Seething

I might have the route sheets but paper only

different org: Cockchafer (200), (rode) I think there was a 100, possibly the Bishy Barney, from the City college
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #7 on: 05 April, 2022, 02:23:46 pm »
We did one of the Hellesdon 200km rides back in 2014 ish I think. I may still have a routesheet - it was probably the old squit, went to Wells and Castle Acre.

« Reply #8 on: 05 April, 2022, 03:26:12 pm »
I have the original Word .doc routesheets for the 2014

Nips 1
Nips 3
Old Squit 200

This was my first audax season. PM me if you'd like them.

« Reply #9 on: 07 April, 2022, 01:41:38 pm »
There is no definitive set of routes for the NorfolknGood audaxes. 

We almost never used the same route twice, so each year we planned, from scratch, 4 Nips 100 rides, The Old Squit 200, and the Norfolk Mardle 100. The 2 versions of the Seething 600 were nothing like Jacqui and Paul Denny's original routes from the 1980s. We also organised a National 200mile event from JIC, and several rides from Swaffham with Breckland CC.

Once we got to the stage where we had more than 50 riders, we realised that there were very few food stops in Norfolk or Suffolk that could cope with such numbers, so we hired village halls and self-catered using our incredibly hard-working team. Since the catering labour was free, we had no trouble feeding riders on a 200 for little more than £1 each, and could do a weekend event for a fiver.

From 2003 to 2010 we used the staff canteen at John Innes centre and were very lucky to be trusted to use the cooking facilities without supervision.  When catering was contracted out, we were forced out of the facilities.  We used the hall at our local church in Hellesdon for several years until we finished.

Our events became victims of their own success in many ways.  They would fill up months in advance and we would then be fielding emails and phone calls from friends who had been trying to enter a few weeks before a ride.  Groups of local club riders tended to treat the rides as though they were in the pro peleton and we had several unsavoury incidents.

All the time, our wonderful team were getting older and it was an easy decision to finish the events.

Keith and Sue

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2022, 02:31:55 pm »
There is no definitive set of routes for the NorfolknGood audaxes. 

We almost never used the same route twice, so each year we planned, from scratch, 4 Nips 100 rides, The Old Squit 200, and the Norfolk Mardle 100. The 2 versions of the Seething 600 were nothing like Jacqui and Paul Denny's original routes from the 1980s. We also organised a National 200mile event from JIC, and several rides from Swaffham with Breckland CC.

Once we got to the stage where we had more than 50 riders, we realised that there were very few food stops in Norfolk or Suffolk that could cope with such numbers, so we hired village halls and self-catered using our incredibly hard-working team. Since the catering labour was free, we had no trouble feeding riders on a 200 for little more than £1 each, and could do a weekend event for a fiver.

From 2003 to 2010 we used the staff canteen at John Innes centre and were very lucky to be trusted to use the cooking facilities without supervision.  When catering was contracted out, we were forced out of the facilities.  We used the hall at our local church in Hellesdon for several years until we finished.

Our events became victims of their own success in many ways.  They would fill up months in advance and we would then be fielding emails and phone calls from friends who had been trying to enter a few weeks before a ride.  Groups of local club riders tended to treat the rides as though they were in the pro peleton and we had several unsavoury incidents.

All the time, our wonderful team were getting older and it was an easy decision to finish the events.

Keith and Sue
I cut my teeth on your events, keith and Sue, and they were by far the best organised and catered events I've done, Sudbury CC being a close second. Such a shame when they folded but understand why. I enjoyed trundling around Norfolk, something I probably wouldn't have done if your events weren't on the calendar. Thanks.

« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2022, 05:26:44 pm »
Many happy memories from me too. Much missed, but completely understand of course why they finished :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 07 April, 2022, 10:16:14 pm »
Amongst the best-organised brevets I’ve done, with mellow-enough routes for groups to ride round sociably.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...