Author Topic: Six nations 2020  (Read 12377 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Six nations 2020
« Reply #50 on: 22 February, 2020, 07:42:08 pm »
Well. Gosh.  All gone a bit quiet over here.
Anyway, I'm now rooting for France.  They played well, and as far as I know, they have never won the 6 Nations.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

simonp

« Reply #51 on: 22 February, 2020, 07:48:19 pm »
It was frantic. Italy Scotland was dire.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #52 on: 22 February, 2020, 09:09:58 pm »
The Welsh were giving it their all and the French were having none of it. I fine match as already said. The Scotland Italy match was bad wasn’t it. I thought the final score at her flattered Scotland’s performance somewhat

Hopefully the England pack will have pulled themselves together by tomorrow afternoons match as they’ve been a bit lacklustre so far this year. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #53 on: 22 February, 2020, 09:26:40 pm »
Anyway, I'm now rooting for France.  They played well, and as far as I know, they have never won the 6 Nations.

Grand slam 2010.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #54 on: 22 February, 2020, 10:38:15 pm »

Grand slam 2010.

Oh yes.  Thanks.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #55 on: 22 February, 2020, 10:51:43 pm »

Grand slam 2010.

Oh yes.  Thanks.

Which, of course, was the last time they won in Cardiff.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #56 on: 22 February, 2020, 10:56:30 pm »
And now they haven't won in Cardiff since....2020!

Anyone else think there was a French arm holding Biggar's try up?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #57 on: 22 February, 2020, 11:10:29 pm »
Yes but there was something about regaining control of the ball and then grounding it.

Just as well it didn’t matter in the end, apart from the bonus point.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #58 on: 22 February, 2020, 11:20:13 pm »
And now they haven't won in Cardiff since....2020!

Anyone else think there was a French arm holding Biggar's try up?

Yes, I had my doubts. I suppose it makes up for the penalty-try-that-wasn't. It reminded me of an incident right at the end of a Wales - England match a few years back, a close-fought game decided by a try from Scott Williams after he ripped the ball from Courtney Lawes' grasp. That was right at the death and there was no camera angle that definitely showed the ball being grounded. I thought Wales were a bit fortunate to have that try allowed today.

There was a French try disallowed for a forward pass a while before the player crossed the line. I saw guys complaining about that decision online, but as soon as I saw that pass I called it as forward.

There was also a Scots try disallowed or a forward pass. I didn't think that was quite so clear-cut, but it's all down to camera angles I suppose.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #59 on: 23 February, 2020, 08:24:22 am »
I'm quite pleased with myself for managing more time on the bike than sat watching Rugby yesterday - just!
Today will be touch-and-go as well ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #60 on: 23 February, 2020, 10:38:32 am »
I'm quite pleased with myself for managing more time on the bike than sat watching Rugby yesterday - just!
Today will be touch-and-go as well ...

I didn't watch any. It's a long time since I watched live rugby. I try to find the highlights and the first batch I found didn't include that "was-it-wasn't-it a penalty try" incident.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #61 on: 23 February, 2020, 10:48:11 am »
Not sure it merited a penalty try, in spite of the protestations of the squeaky Welshovik in the colemantary box, but players have been sin-binned for less blatant deliberate knocks-on than that.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #62 on: 23 February, 2020, 11:05:38 am »
try disallowed for a forward pass. I didn't think that was quite so clear-cut, but it's all down to camera angles I suppose.

This is the reason the video ref cannot make a call on forwards passes in rugby league

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #63 on: 23 February, 2020, 11:09:08 am »
Not sure it merited a penalty try, in spite of the protestations of the squeaky Welshovik in the colemantary box, but players have been sin-binned for less blatant deliberate knocks-on than that.
Indeed. And 10 minutes with France down to 14 men might have cancelled the difference in points at the end.

I notice that the Welsh coach also had a big moan about France's final penalty. But that's the thing about close games - there are endless talking points about what might have been.

I think all of this justifies my decision that I took a few years ago, ie not to watch live rugby games any more. A game like that does nothing good for my blood pressure and leaves me emotionally exhausted for the rest of the day.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #64 on: 23 February, 2020, 04:28:34 pm »
England seem to have got some of their mojo back for this match, but is not the most well tempered of games I’ve seen in recent years.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #65 on: 23 February, 2020, 04:28:46 pm »
So about 10 mins into the ENG v IRE game Virgin Media goes down again . What a crock of #shite , but at least we still have the internet this time.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #66 on: 23 February, 2020, 04:45:12 pm »
Crock of shite is right. Somebody slipped us a mickey.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #67 on: 23 February, 2020, 05:31:02 pm »
Crock of shite is right. Somebody slipped us a mickey.

Must be a metaphor for this month's election. :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #68 on: 23 February, 2020, 06:04:11 pm »
England seem to have got some of their mojo back for this match, but is not the most well tempered of games I’ve seen in recent years.
At least we didn't keep a fight going for 2 minutes after final whistle. ;D

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/im-upset-alright-what-happened-17796924
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #69 on: 23 February, 2020, 07:40:01 pm »
I think tempers have always tended to fray in big matches. Is it getting any nastier? I'm not sure that it is. I can think of a few players from over the years with a reputation for foul play. One that I have my doubts about in the current batch is Stuart Hogg. He was infamously yellow- and red-carded for the same off-the-ball incident, flattening Dan Biggar, a few years back, and I've noticed a couple of times since that he seems to go in unnecessarily with a risk of hurting his opponent. I'm thinking of him defending against a try in another match and there was no way he could stop the player scoring, but he did leap on him aggressively a second or so after the ball had been grounded.

« Reply #70 on: 23 February, 2020, 08:13:13 pm »
And then there is the current Welsh scrum-half who grabbed practically every French player's shirt at some stage and tried to eye-ball him before the stiffness in his neck made him think better of it.  Very silly.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #71 on: 23 February, 2020, 08:37:47 pm »
The funniest thing I've seen for ages was Owen Farrell clinging around an Irish ankle as the opposition player walked off, wearing him like a huge tag, and attempting to punch his lights out.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #72 on: 23 February, 2020, 09:05:00 pm »
The funniest thing I've seen for ages was Owen Farrell clinging around an Irish ankle as the opposition player walked off, wearing him like a huge tag, and attempting to punch his lights out.
That was rather amusing but I couldn’t work out what caused him to hang on like that.

« Reply #73 on: 23 February, 2020, 11:49:04 pm »
Mildly interesting that The French, with what one commentator described as Shaun Edwards's tightening up of the defence, have more points against than anyone except Italy, while Scotland, who spend most of the time in their own 25, have easily the lowest points against figure.  I suppose it could be a mixture of French indiscipline leading to undefendable penalty points and commentators not having a clue (perish the thought).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #74 on: 24 February, 2020, 08:18:51 am »
I think tempers have always tended to fray in big matches. Is it getting any nastier? I'm not sure that it is. I can think of a few players from over the years with a reputation for foul play. One that I have my doubts about in the current batch is Stuart Hogg. He was infamously yellow- and red-carded for the same off-the-ball incident, flattening Dan Biggar, a few years back, and I've noticed a couple of times since that he seems to go in unnecessarily with a risk of hurting his opponent. I'm thinking of him defending against a try in another match and there was no way he could stop the player scoring, but he did leap on him aggressively a second or so after the ball had been grounded.

I can remember seeing Gareth Edwards getting a headlock on Willie John McBride and giving him a quick fist in the face on the ref's blind side. The TV camera got it, but the TV didn't count back then. Wales vs Ireland for the Triple Crown but I forget the year. They still loved each other afterwards. Ditto JPR Williams & Rive after one of their set-tos. All part of the game.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight