Author Topic: Recumbent chopper  (Read 3334 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Recumbent chopper
« on: 02 December, 2008, 01:39:07 am »
How cool is that  8) 8)

I've got a welder now, it may take me some time before I can make a bike though  ;D ;D

Re: Recumbent chopper
« Reply #1 on: 02 December, 2008, 02:11:46 am »
That site is AWESOME. Nice find.  :thumbsup:

Right, that's it, Im going on a welding course and building one of these.

Which is best for bike building, MIG or TIG?

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2 on: 02 December, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »
That site is AWESOME. Nice find.  :thumbsup:

You build it, I'll take the lady 8)
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 02 December, 2008, 01:38:27 pm »
Stupid bikes and top totty, perfect lunchtine entertainment!

Bikes: watch out for those thin tubes!  Burn right through, they will, if you don't dial the spark right down.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 02 December, 2008, 05:27:58 pm »
Oh I say! Some things are just so positively Reg Varney in this world, vicar!

Depends what kind of material you want to use. If you can afford a TIG - no comparison. You can weld anything with TIG, particularly thin wall tubing. Good control. wtg. But very expensive. Whereas MIG can be cheap, and will do a perfectly good job with ERW mild steel - which is what I use :) With mild steel and MIG, you can afford to mess around a bit with different styles and it won't cost a bomb. Be careful though, It can get a bit addictive!
Garry Broad

« Reply #5 on: 02 December, 2008, 05:46:06 pm »
How cool is that  8) 8)
I wonder how that bike handles? Stacks of trail/flop on that front wheel.

And that drive side idler? Am I missing something, but the tension side of the chain is just sitting on the top of the idler wheel instead of being supported underneath  ???
I've got a welder now, it may take me some time before I can make a bike though  ;D ;D

Oh I dunno, just remember Rich your Bacchetta is not for practising on...not just yet anyway. You'll be skip scavenging for donor bikes soon, you old pikey ;D
Garry Broad

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #6 on: 02 December, 2008, 06:33:03 pm »
You'll be skip scavenging for donor bikes soon,

I already have old bikes behind the shed from before I got the Bacchetta.

you old pikey ;D

Says the man seen fishing cakes from the bin outside the co-op on the Invicta ride last year.
 ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #7 on: 02 December, 2008, 07:21:04 pm »
you old pikey ;D

Says the man seen fishing cakes from the bin outside the co-op on the Invicta ride last year.
 ;D ;D ;D

That is utter rubbish!

[Damn, I thought there might a response, but I wasn't expecting that one. s**t, he's got a good memory! :P ]

Garry Broad

« Reply #8 on: 02 December, 2008, 08:17:13 pm »
And that drive side idler? Am I missing something, but the tension side of the chain is just sitting on the top of the idler wheel instead of being supported underneath  ???

There are two chains, and two rear changers, the front one just tensions the chain to take up extra chain when a smaller chainring is used.  The chain isn't sitting on top of an idler, it's going around it.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #9 on: 02 December, 2008, 09:56:09 pm »

There are two chains, and two rear changers, the front one just tensions the chain to take up extra chain when a smaller chainring is used.  The chain isn't sitting on top of an idler, it's going around it.

doh! Of course, it's just a basic jackshaft.

Oh well, there's always tomorrow, time to leave this thread I think  :)
Garry Broad

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 03 December, 2008, 09:57:04 am »
Had a brief spin on something not dissimilar while on me holibobs (note to self: get those photos on teh Intarnets, you idle git).  This one was single speed, coaster brake only and had a crossover drive-train.  Each chain was tensioned by a phantom chainring.  This was extremely cool.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11 on: 03 December, 2008, 09:35:26 pm »

Don't see why, we built this in two days, in a garage, with a mig welder an'a angle grinder.

Took it to Cyclefest and a bod from I C E rode it and pronounced himself happy with the handling!  Stoked!

J

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.