Author Topic: Arthritic fingers!  (Read 1062 times)

Arthritic fingers!
« on: 27 March, 2021, 10:48:31 pm »
Suppose this is all part of ageing. But the fingers on my one had are becoming arthritic, strange it’s only on one hand, but for me it is on my left and I a, right handed so something I can live with.  The only major problem I have is getting a tyre back on the rims.  I did see advertised somewhere a lever device which sort of pulled the tyre the last bit onto the rim, does anyone know if this is still available, or if it works, and what other options or tyres are best for this condition. Thanks. Dai

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Arthritic fingers!
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2021, 10:51:07 pm »
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/var-tyre-levers/ is the portable version. There are bigger versions intended for the workshop.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2021, 10:58:03 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2021, 03:50:21 pm »
Where is the description of using a foot and shoe?  that really works.

Anyway, wearing suitable shoes (cycling shoes are good for this, but I believe that Pippa demonstrated the technique in some elegant heals), mount the tyre -get as much on as you can.

then stand holding wheel by your leg (I'm right handed so I do this on the right). Last bit of the bead to mount down by the floor, next to your foot.

Carefully stand on the bead with the edge of your shoe (this is where cycling shoes are good with their rigid soles). now lean the wheel away from your leg, prising the bead down and over the lip of the rim.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ppg

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2021, 04:11:02 pm »
^ Brilliant! just shows you're never too old to learn.
Though remembering might be an issue 🤔

I have started arthritis in the base of my left thumb which doesn't seem to be going away.