Author Topic: Raynaud's Syndrome?  (Read 12036 times)

Re: Raynaud's Syndrome?
« Reply #75 on: 30 January, 2021, 03:36:38 pm »
In he last week I have developed white fingers when going outside, but only on two occasions (and not when it was snowing/sledding weather).  In the past I have cycled in all weathers with no issues, so this seems "sudden onset" - possibly covid stress.  Fingers white but not painful.
Being lightweight I already was wearing coat, jumper, two hats and three wool buffs.  Do I really need to be working on layering the core or can I just focus on gloves/socks?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #76 on: 30 January, 2021, 04:05:42 pm »
If it's not painful and you don't feel too cold in general, I wouldn't be too bothered.

It's unlikely your fingers will drop off or that you'll get frostbite.

Ignore, keep comfortable, don't fret!

« Reply #77 on: 30 January, 2021, 04:55:09 pm »
Thank you helly, I have been worrying about the possible implications, so your post is a real relief.

though I will use this as justification to buy new gloves, warmer socks and I'm sure a front fairing for the trike will help ...

« Reply #78 on: 30 January, 2021, 05:21:47 pm »
I think it justifies a velomobile to be honest;)

More seriously, I’ve had white finger on and off for years (30+). Usually when I stop exercising in winter. They can be impressively white by the time I shower, but go pink again with a a bit of movement and warming up. Still attached and working.

« Reply #79 on: 30 January, 2021, 05:27:49 pm »
OK nerd alert
You have not given us anywhere near enough information to make any suggestions really.  what do you mean by white fingers? solid white, blotchy

Raynaud's is episodic, cold induces, circumferential blanching extending from the fingertips proximally.  attacks usually last 20minutes.  this is followed by progressive rewarming, intense red/purple colour and hot aches.

Non-Freezing cold injury can have colour change, without raynauds, along with sensory loss in the cold and burning pain.  Seen in people who were born and/or lived their lives abroad then spend time in the cold and wet.  Real problem in the military but we also see it in outdoor workers and possibly in people doing water sports in the winter

perniosis or chilblains is another possibility where the red accentuates the pallor of the other skin.

blotchy blanching lasting a few minutes and associated with tingling is pretty normal and may increase with age.  I have noticed it myself for the first time this winter quite a few times after long walks even when not truly frosty.

if it happens again grab some photos. if it resolves too fast to get photos it is not raynauds and almost certainly not something to worry about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #80 on: 30 January, 2021, 05:37:37 pm »
Thank you helly, I have been worrying about the possible implications, so your post is a real relief.
though I will use this as justification to buy new gloves, warmer socks and I'm sure a front fairing for the trike will help ...
Sounds fair!
I think my late grandfather had white fingers; he lived past 94...

« Reply #81 on: 30 January, 2021, 05:44:27 pm »
This is from wikipedia(!) for comparison

Chris is right of course - he’s a man who knows hands.

« Reply #82 on: 30 January, 2021, 09:04:16 pm »
Now that picture would really make me consider hypo the ar hammer syndrome and ulnar artery thrombosis!

« Reply #83 on: 30 January, 2021, 10:20:11 pm »
It’s not mine!!

« Reply #84 on: 30 January, 2021, 10:31:30 pm »
Thankfully 😀

« Reply #85 on: 30 January, 2021, 11:34:07 pm »
So, like mike's photo but index and half of ring finger on both hands.  Not bike related, just pushing daughter on the swing at the park.  Today's was much milder, some persistent whiteness of the fingers, but I was in the garden in the sleet for maybe 20 mins and had glove liners and lobster gloves.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #86 on: 31 January, 2021, 12:39:43 am »
How long were your fingers white and how long did the whiteness persist once you were indoors?

« Reply #87 on: 31 January, 2021, 12:45:02 am »
Gloves and mittens with battery powered electric heating elements are available, but they're not cheap.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_GB/product/solano-heated-mitts/
https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_GB/product/solano-heated-gloves/

Ski shops sell chemical hand warmers to go inside gloves. Have you tried these?

AIUI, the body responds to overall chilling by reducing blood flow to the extremities. Raynaud's would appear to be an extreme example of this behavior. So keeping the core warm certainly won't hurt, and might be helping a tiny bit.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #88 on: 31 January, 2021, 01:36:03 am »
I think battery-powered clothing would EAT batteries and provide scant heat for only a short while; I briefly investigated this for D's astronomy use.

Wheat bags you can warm in the microwave might be a more economical heat source.

« Reply #89 on: 31 January, 2021, 07:34:04 am »
If they were truly like mikes photo then Raynauds is probable. Classified into 2 types, primary and secondary. If it happens again get a photo and see your GP.

« Reply #90 on: 31 January, 2021, 04:31:01 pm »
How long were your fingers white and how long did the whiteness persist once you were indoors?
dunno, I didn't notice while outside.  Got in, gloves off ... hmmm fingers are white!  Ran them under the tap for a minute or so and they were back to normal.