Author Topic: What are you drinking right now?  (Read 314026 times)

Re: What are you drinking right now?
« Reply #2600 on: 15 March, 2021, 10:40:12 pm »
As far as I can tell, Goose Island have two strands to their brewing: - blandified versions of their original beers for mass production, and interesting specialty beers that they brew for their own edification, which InBev let them brew for the halo effect. When left to their own devices, they're bloody good brewers - the Sofie and Matilda saisons are as good as anything out of Belgium, the Bourbon County Stout is a classic, and Obadiah Poundage is an off-the-walls recreation of a trad porter, hornbeam-smoked malts, Bretted secondary fermentation and all...

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #2601 on: 17 March, 2021, 09:01:10 pm »
Just polishing off the last glass of a very nice 2016 Trimbach Gewurtztraminer

Discovered Gewurtz when on family holiday in Turckheim in 2018 (along with very beautiful and inexpensive local Riesling)

The 2016 Trimbach is very much less sweet than I recall others and all the better for it. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2602 on: 18 March, 2021, 12:33:02 am »
Gewurztraminer d'Alsace is the tipple of choice to accompany Xmas dinner at Fort Larrington, though not one I have been able to sample since 2013 chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2603 on: 19 March, 2021, 09:44:15 pm »
I can tell you what I'm not drinking.

Back there <<< I was complimentary about my local microbrewery. Having need of fresh supplies last evening I went onto their website only to discover most of their beer was sold out. Still, thre were two IPA that were "in". Hit buy. Delivered. What could go wrong?

Milkshake IPA:  this IPA is packed with Passionfruit, Pineapple, and fruity hops, with extra lactose and oats for a hazy, creamy finish. They mean it. Not hop flavour. Fruit. Verging on the undrinkable for me

New England IPA: NEIPA showcases the power of Eclipse - one of the world’s newest hops. Expect Mandarin, Citrus peel and just a touch of pine. We backed this up with our biggest dry hop load ever - Mosaic and Simcoe adding the aroma here. A fruity, juicy celebration. Drinkable, but only just

:(

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2604 on: 19 March, 2021, 10:17:36 pm »
Just not your thing.

I had a can of Brewdog Light Speed the other night, not expecting very much but it was surprisingly flavoursome.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2605 on: 20 March, 2021, 08:52:40 am »
I don't mind the fruit smoothie IPAs as an occasional thing (and with their typical ABVs, they are occasional) ; what puts me off is paying a fiver+ a can (or a fiver a half-pint in a bar; remember those?) for something that can be very hit and miss.

Relatedly, I've found dodgy NEIPAs and the like (unpleasant onion/garlic notes etc.) can sometimes be made more palatable with a slug of crème de pêche (presumably other fruit liqueurs will work as well).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2606 on: 20 March, 2021, 12:02:28 pm »
Yikes! I would instinctively steer well clear of anything calling itself 'milkshake IPA'. Sounds revolting.

Not a huge fan of Mosaic hops, tbh, and it's infuriating that they seem to find their way into so many half-baked trendy 'craft' beers.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2607 on: 20 March, 2021, 04:44:06 pm »
Yes, I'm not a fan of anything that has flavours from things that aren't hops. It's veering into Starbucks territory

citoyen

What are you drinking right now?
« Reply #2608 on: 20 March, 2021, 06:37:27 pm »
I was in Tesco earlier and they had Magic Rock Dark Arts stout reduced to clear - 99p a can. So that's what I'm drinking right now.

Best thing about it? It tastes of stout. It doesn't taste of cake or fruit or milkshake or anything else.

Very nice indeed. Nothing special but all the better for that.

John Stonebridge

« Reply #2609 on: 20 March, 2021, 06:53:23 pm »
Enjoying a few bottles from my Stewarts mixed case of Hollyrood Pale, Golden Ale and their 80 shilling.

No nonsense, all are around 4.5% abv and not a gimmick in sight. 

500ml bottles too.    :thumbsup:

https://www.stewartbrewing.co.uk/

« Reply #2610 on: 20 March, 2021, 07:41:28 pm »
Just not your thing.

I had a can of Brewdog Light Speed the other night, not expecting very much but it was surprisingly flavoursome.

Actually, the New England drunk on its own, not as a fruitloop chaser is OK, a modern IPA with a healthy bitterness.

I'll give the Milkshake another try when I'm in the mood. Mebbe.

« Reply #2611 on: 20 March, 2021, 07:44:50 pm »
Latte Stout. It does contain both coffee and milk (or at least milk sugars). I can't tell that it contains coffee, but it's rather good (even if four and a half pints last night meant a bit of a slow start this morning).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

« Reply #2612 on: 20 March, 2021, 09:04:13 pm »
I don't mind the milkshake IPAs, done right they can be tasty. I wouldn't drink them all night.

Hyper-hopping IPAs, of course, especially the NEIPAs is a risky business, you're amplifying any flavour mistake.

I'll always vote for a plain stout – and Dark Arts is a good one.

John Stonebridge

« Reply #2613 on: 14 April, 2021, 10:09:24 pm »
Since its my birthday Im enjoying a post dinner Irish Coffee Baltic Porter courtesy of the Leith based Campervan Brewery, one of my favourite new-ish breweries in Edinburgh. 

375ml of 8.8% dark creaminess.  Dry and only ever so slightly sweet.  Bee - yootiful. 

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2614 on: 15 April, 2021, 07:05:49 pm »
Belated happy birthday!

« Reply #2615 on: 15 April, 2021, 08:03:41 pm »
Currently suppin' a can of Higher Grounds a 6% coffee porter from Burnt Mill Brewery

It's very ncie!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2616 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:13:22 pm »
IPA

IMG_8026_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #2617 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:19:49 pm »
Port and Ginger wine, if you must know.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2618 on: 23 May, 2021, 10:35:10 pm »
Monkey 47 Sloe gin on ice. :P

« Reply #2619 on: 24 May, 2021, 05:31:46 am »
Twinings English Breakfast
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #2620 on: 24 May, 2021, 02:27:18 pm »
Bailey's in an Aeropress latte

« Reply #2621 on: 26 May, 2021, 06:24:26 am »
Twinings Everyday tea after a cup of English Breakfast on my daily progression to Wuhan (Waitrose own - we never started drinking it until Covid) and Yorkshire.
Interspersed with a couple of proper coffees.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

citoyen

« Reply #2622 on: 26 May, 2021, 07:48:42 am »
Port and Ginger wine, if you must know.

That sounds fun. Must try it some time.

Currently off the booze though - instead I'm working my way through the selection I got from Cafepod on special offer, which inexplicably included decaf. I guess sneaking them into a multipack is the only way they can get rid of them. Wish I'd read the details more carefully!

« Reply #2623 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:27:21 pm »
One of M&S’s “found” wines, a “Gros Manseng” varietal from the Cote de Gascogne region. Not bad for under a tenner.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2624 on: 02 June, 2021, 09:02:14 pm »
1994 vintage port with hartington Stilton.
On top of 2/3 of a bottle of Alsatian Gewurtztraminer. Seriously drunk. And eating haribo!  Contemplating buying a seriously fast car!  eBay is very dangerous so I will buy a 11-34 cassette instead.