Author Topic: New frame - Byercycles, or something else?  (Read 2989 times)

New frame - Byercycles, or something else?
« on: 24 June, 2013, 02:37:29 pm »
Back in February, I built up a cheap fixed based around an old steel road frame, as a bit of an experiment. 1000 miles later, I'd quite like to get something a bit more suitable: my frame was originally built for 27" wheels, and the bottom bracket's a bit low (I use 170mm cranks and don't particularly want to go shorter as I like them, but I have clipped a pedal on a corner a couple of times which has made me a bit wary!). It's also a little bit on the small side.

So, I'd like something that:
  • isn't too expensive
  • has clearance for 25c tyres and mudguards (not too bothered about rack, though it's always handy to have the option)
  • is preferably steel, though not a deal-breaker
  • looks nice and matches a honey Brooks :D, but doesn't look too nice as it will get used for occasional commuting
Condor Tempo looks lovely (though I'm not that keen on any of the colours), but is just too expensive. I don't really like the look of Pompinos, and I don't need to run massive tyres or canti brakes. The Byercycles frame looks decent and seems to tick all the boxes. Not sure how heavy it is, but I suppose I could always fit carbon forks later if I wanted to bling it up a bit. The sizing seems a bit confusing but I can always contact Byercycles for advice on that.

So - is this a decent option, or is there anything else out there for similar money that I should consider too?

Re: New frame - Byercycles, or something else?
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2013, 02:52:31 pm »
That Byercycles frame is recommended by chrisn of this parish, he has one.

They may be able to supply it with carbon forks rather than the steel forks.

Also a big thumbs up for Byercycles themselves, I got my Aravis Audax from them and have only positive things to say about the whole experience.

Not just a frame, but the Genesis Flyer was also on my list before I went for the Tempo (which is lovely, and expensive).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2013, 03:50:43 pm »
That Byercycles frame is recommended by chrisn of this parish, he has one.

Definitely.  GruB has one too, and is equally happy with it AFAIK.  Mine, with dynamo lights, mudguards and carbon forks weighs a little over 20lb.  Lovely and comfortable to ride and worth the money (tho I paid less than £209 in 2009 for mine - £170, I think).

Currently looks a lot like this:

« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2013, 08:06:44 am »
Dolan has a fairly reasonable frame with track ends and rack/mudguard mounts for a couple of hundred with carbon fork.

Alloy, but it's done me OK for several years of London commuting and a couple of thousand audax km. Looks like there'd be room for 28mm tyres at least - I've got 25mm Krylions and SKS guards with plenty of clearance.

« Reply #4 on: 26 September, 2013, 08:15:34 am »
Do Byercycles still sell frames?? Their webpage states no more, anybody been there recently??

« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2013, 11:41:30 am »
What size are you after?

DrMekon OTP is selling his - full bike atm, but he may consider splittage?

« Reply #6 on: 26 September, 2013, 04:36:59 pm »
Do Byercycles still sell frames?? Their webpage states no more, anybody been there recently??

They don't seem to (they stopped just as I was pondering a purchase... :facepalm:).

In the end, I got what I'm pretty sure is the same frame (has the tell-tale pump pegs on the seatstay), minus fork, NOS on eBay (and added a carbon fork).

« Reply #7 on: 26 September, 2013, 07:36:28 pm »
You all know that Byercycles are just selling on frames they got through Autostrada, right? Hewitt repaint then, Pearsons rebadge them, and I believe at other times other lbs have sold then too eg Charlie the bike monger

Contact details for autostrada in the first comment on the exceptionally positive review of the bike I'm selling in the for sale section hint hint. Maybe given them a bell and see who else are selling them at the mo.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/touring/product/review-pearson-compass-touring-bike-09-33981

« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2013, 08:38:43 pm »
I bought the same frame from Graham Weigh Cycles so they're pretty common.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9 on: 08 October, 2013, 08:48:24 pm »
You all know that Byercycles are just selling on frames they got through Autostrada, right? Hewitt repaint then, Pearsons rebadge them, and I believe at other times other lbs have sold then too eg Charlie the bike monger

Contact details for autostrada in the first comment on the exceptionally positive review of the bike I'm selling in the for sale section hint hint. Maybe given them a bell and see who else are selling them at the mo.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/touring/product/review-pearson-compass-touring-bike-09-33981

My Henry Burton is one too (Aravis).

« Reply #10 on: 09 October, 2013, 06:52:02 am »
I thought Byercycles were winding down and not selling frames anymore?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain