Author Topic: Pompetamine build  (Read 6502 times)

Chris N

Pompetamine build
« on: 07 January, 2014, 12:49:46 pm »
Had this, rode it loads:

Built this, loved it:

Decided that discs on road bikes were ace, so had to sell the fixed gear and a bunch of other stuff and get a Pompetamine in PX's winter sale:

Couldn't justify new wheels yet, so had to use the old set off my 29er, unridden since 2012.  Needed to rebuild the bearings on the WTB Single Duty hub, fit a smaller disc to the front and bolt on a 18T Velosolo cog:

(Bolt heads stuck out too far and fouled the fork so swapped for SS button heads)

Shiny wheels

Shimano M756 front, WTB Single Duty rear, Mavic TN719 rims.

Lovely Campag Record Pista cranks gave perfect chainline on a 107mm UN55 BB but the crank just touched the chainstay:

Swapped for an ugly Stronglight Impact with ring on the inside instead:

Fitted saddle, bars and stem off the old fix:

Just ordered a 17T bolt on cog to replace the 18T that's on there at the moment - 40/18 is a bit spinny but 40/17 will be a lovely winter gear on 32mm tyres.

Chris N

Re: Pompetamine build
« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2014, 10:45:32 pm »
Drivetrain finished, Paselas, guards and front brake added:

« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2014, 08:03:55 am »
I like the bike but I think the kitchen could do with a sorting!  ::-)

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2014, 11:54:56 am »
I'll inform the staff.

« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2014, 12:04:13 pm »
When I had a Kaff I swapped the steel fork for carbon because they were ludicrously flexy. Going downhill on a rough surface felt like riding a pogo stick.

If you break really hard on the front disc you'll probably get overtaken by your own arse

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2014, 01:46:07 pm »
looks good and a similar bike to genesis day 1. i'd use rear v-brakes on this bike.

Chris N

« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2014, 02:00:25 pm »
When I had a Kaff I swapped the steel fork for carbon because they were ludicrously flexy. Going downhill on a rough surface felt like riding a pogo stick.

If you break really hard on the front disc you'll probably get overtaken by your own arse

;D  I think you must be very sensitive to things like that.  I've been riding the Kaffenback 2 for 4 months now and not noticed any issues.  The fork is different to that on the Pompino/old Kaff though - obviously got the disc mount but the dropouts are different and I assume the fork blades are thicker/stiffer too.

looks good and a similar bike to genesis day 1. i'd use rear v-brakes on this bike.

Thanks.  Looked at the Day One Disc (particularly the Day One 853 frame) but wanted a budget build based around what I had in the shed - hence using the wheels off my SS 29er.  So far it's only cost me frame, forks, headset, cog, chain and front brake - about £250.

Pompetamine will only take discs, not Vs.  Going to run with just a front brake for now and may change to a Surly fixed/disc hub in future if I want two brakes.

« Reply #7 on: 09 January, 2014, 06:16:57 pm »
It depends what you compare it too. I'll let you have a spin on my 585 with SL SSC Kysriums.

You'll want one afterwards though  ;)

I like the Kaff/Pomp thing in so far as you just don't need to care about where you take it, its a total bomber.

Chris N

« Reply #8 on: 10 January, 2014, 01:34:58 pm »
It depends what you compare it too. I'll let you have a spin on my 585 with SL SSC Kysriums.

You'll want one afterwards though  ;)

Does it come with discs and in adult sizes?

« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2014, 01:51:07 pm »
You aren't much taller than me. You just ride bikes that are too big for you ;)

Chris N

« Reply #10 on: 11 January, 2014, 08:27:32 pm »
I dunno, it looks about right to me:

55 miles on it this morning and other than my legs not being used to riding fixed, it was great.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #11 on: 12 January, 2014, 01:49:52 pm »
Looks nice Chris, would have thought you'd have kept those white 'guards for it . .  . get a spirit level on that saddle!

I was thinking of something like this a while back but I'm leaning towards an n-1 powermove with a cull of the fixed work bike and the winter bike being replaced by one of those Kaffs w/discs you've got.

Chris N

« Reply #12 on: 13 January, 2014, 07:30:05 am »
4 SRs, LEL, PBP and an 8 month old son says you're wrong about the saddle. ;)

White guards weren't wide enough for the 32mm tyres on the pomp. I think black looks better for a bit of contrast. The kaff is great - needs a bit of work after some part swapping with the pomp but it's a lovely bike to ride.

« Reply #13 on: 13 January, 2014, 11:06:59 am »
That looks ver' nice in white  :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 13 January, 2014, 11:19:52 am »
4 SRs, LEL, PBP and an 8 month old son

Hmmm. Wonder if the last of those was because of the first three and not in spite of them

:demon:

Chris N

« Reply #15 on: 13 January, 2014, 11:44:25 am »
He does look a little bit like me. :-\

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 13 January, 2014, 11:45:57 am »
That does look like a nice bike (saddle issues aside).
Getting there...

« Reply #17 on: 13 January, 2014, 12:15:01 pm »
I like that a lot  :)

Don't see why people are moaning about the saddle. If it works for Chris, it works....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #18 on: 13 January, 2014, 12:19:09 pm »
Some saddles can look as if they are pointing up even if dead level. Charge Spoon/Madison Prime being a good example

Chris N

« Reply #19 on: 13 January, 2014, 12:23:01 pm »
That particular model of saddle (Specialized Avatar) has a pronounced dip in the middle:

I've used the one on the Pompetamine since 2008 and I think it's sagged a bit more than that.

« Reply #20 on: 13 January, 2014, 01:39:27 pm »
Wow really far forward on post!

You must have little stumpy legs

Chris N

« Reply #21 on: 13 January, 2014, 02:03:32 pm »
And yet they're still longer than yours.

(not my photo, layback seatpost)

« Reply #22 on: 13 January, 2014, 04:24:33 pm »
They aren't. You have a long body.

Like a teddy-bear

« Reply #23 on: 18 January, 2014, 08:09:59 pm »
Good to read the sparring continues....... ;)