Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 152522 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #650 on: 12 March, 2021, 10:28:09 pm »
Made an expedition to Lidl. To my mild surprise, my back street route led me straight there. Proper Sheffield stands, decently placed and under cover, three other bikes there. I didn't count the stands but about six. Lidl is so much cheaper than Sainsburys or Tesco! And has that vaguely Continental feel... Just a shame it's uphill all the way back!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rr

« Reply #651 on: 13 March, 2021, 09:41:36 am »
Some medical utility cycling, further away than normal doctors for covid jab, hospital for bloods.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

« Reply #652 on: 01 April, 2021, 04:33:00 pm »
Loads of quaxing this last week or so including the weekly shop which involved using the burley bee trailer, the allotment and back twice which has had strong winds but alternate directions. Round to two socially distanced rule of 6 gatherings and hopefully off to a picnic with the kids tomorrow

« Reply #653 on: 12 May, 2021, 07:38:21 pm »
The girls were going to kiddie parcour after school. Itsbin an industrial estate and finishes at 1730. No way done want to try driving on or around the estate or through the town at that time of eve. However i knew the younger one would be shattered having walked to and from school, done school and then with the parcour so got the tandem out. Eldest was fine onbher own bike but not a huge amount of help from my stoker. Lots of admiring glances as usual and a few of the mums asked me about it. I extolled the virtues of avoiding the traffic they were all going to sit in inntheir giant MPV/SUV/pick ups

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #654 on: 25 May, 2021, 06:33:58 pm »
Too many adventures in the half mile or so to Tesco today. I say too many because they were "adventures" of the traffic variety. Unusually, a pedestrian took top place.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #655 on: 28 May, 2021, 05:11:47 pm »
*I think I'm getting towards the capacity limit of my Junior saddlebag (Barley without side pockets): lunch box, large thermos flask, two(!!) maps, tools, headtorch, and one of those folding foam mats for sitting on wet grass and mud. A larger lunch box (it was dal) would require the Cadet.
And today I exceeded the capacity of one Super C pannier in a visit to Lidl. Had to strap the bread (I hate supermarket bread but the boy likes it for toast) and one or two other items on top of the rack. £20, 16kg, "Lidl is the best" he said (he rates their "ChocoNussa" brand above Nutella). Traffic on the Gloucester Rd on the way back was such that literally nothing with more than two wheels was moving, which was its own brand of satisfying.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #656 on: 28 May, 2021, 05:25:16 pm »
Did shopping on the fixed yesterday. Pretty sure my lungs will just give up, submit to my iron will, and start working properly again if I keep forcing the issue. Hauling two panniers full of ice cream and various other sundries back home into a headwind will do me the world of good, I'm sure.

Today, discretion proved the better part of valour, so I walked the 2 and change miles to the farm shop and back.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #657 on: 28 May, 2021, 05:50:45 pm »
“Two panniers full of ice cream”

:P

« Reply #658 on: 28 May, 2021, 06:39:37 pm »
Today I cycled to get my second vaccination on the other side of the city. I was glad that I did, since the M1 seems to be suffering from the bank holiday and the traffic was nose to tail everywhere. People due half an hour before me hadn't arrived.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #659 on: 28 May, 2021, 07:04:20 pm »
Did shopping on the fixed yesterday. Pretty sure my lungs will just give up, submit to my iron will, and start working properly again if I keep forcing the issue. Hauling two panniers full of ice cream and various other sundries back home into a headwind will do me the world of good, I'm sure.

Today, discretion proved the better part of valour, so I walked the 2 and change miles to the farm shop and back.
Last time I had two panniers of shopping on the fixed the rear brake decided that ... no, that's it, f- you.  With the start/stop and messing about with pedal orientation I never fixed the rear rack.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #660 on: 29 May, 2021, 09:34:39 pm »
*I think I'm getting towards the capacity limit of my Junior saddlebag (Barley without side pockets): lunch box, large thermos flask, two(!!) maps, tools, headtorch, and one of those folding foam mats for sitting on wet grass and mud. A larger lunch box (it was dal) would require the Cadet.
And today I exceeded the capacity of one Super C pannier in a visit to Lidl. Had to strap the bread (I hate supermarket bread but the boy likes it for toast) and one or two other items on top of the rack. £20, 16kg, "Lidl is the best" he said (he rates their "ChocoNussa" brand above Nutella). Traffic on the Gloucester Rd on the way back was such that literally nothing with more than two wheels was moving, which was its own brand of satisfying.
I have to say Lidl bread is several leagues ahead of any other supermarket bread I've ever had. Yes, that includes Waitrose and M&S. Even the sliced stuff is edible.

« Reply #661 on: 31 May, 2021, 11:14:34 am »
I love supporting local business but in the same way I think its slightly mad when people drive (normally big middle class SUV type vehicles) to refill/zero waste shops burning way more unprocessed plastic then they will save I find it hard justify when the wife drives the 20km round trip to our local independent bookshop,

Therefore its become quite a regular ride. Normally included in a longer ride but got lots on today so a quick 10km each way today. Absolutely gorgeous weather and apart from a twat AA driver who close passed me while towing really considerate drivers.

For those in the know went up Market Hill in Maldon but peeled off onto a side road called Cromwell Road I think which feels even steeper than the main Hill, earnt a well done from some people walking up it.

Three books purchased and same again on way home.

Later on we are picking my niece up and will be using the Burley Bee which I did lend them but don't think got used much.

I know I'm largely preaching to the converted but I just can't understand why you would choose to drive when you don't need to.

ravenbait

• Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #662 on: 31 May, 2021, 11:24:06 am »
Last time I had two panniers of shopping on the fixed the rear brake decided that ... no, that's it, f- you.  With the start/stop and messing about with pedal orientation I never fixed the rear rack.

Rear brake?

That's what legs are for. I gave up with my rear brake. It never worked properly and was basically little more than storage for spare brake blocks for the front.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #663 on: 31 May, 2021, 08:32:06 pm »
[Insert witty remark about carrying enough ballast]

On the basis of weight and the current standards of driver patience, I opted to avoid the main road route.  This was a mistake, as potholeman has been neglecting Basil's Commute™...

« Reply #664 on: 14 June, 2021, 09:41:01 pm »
Two gas cylinders bought for £5 each and collected by bike this evening.  Generated many an odd look from passing motorists as I made my way home.

IMG_20210614_190638011 by Joe B, on Flickr

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #665 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:13:47 pm »
With the wicker basket, it does kind of look like you've got a very small hot air balloon...

« Reply #666 on: 16 June, 2021, 09:58:20 pm »
With the wicker basket, it does kind of look like you've got a very small hot air balloon...

Ha, yes, it does now you mention it.

I tagged to journey on Strava with the same photo and someone said it looked like the openning scene in an episode of Casualty.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #667 on: 17 June, 2021, 04:30:25 pm »
I tagged to journey on Strava with the same photo and someone said it looked like the openning scene in an episode of Casualty.

There's something we can all aspire to...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #668 on: 25 June, 2021, 09:25:58 pm »
Today's utilitarian adventure was taking both panniers and leaving them on the bike while I shopped in Lidl. Needless to say, they were still there when I got out (strange in a way I should worry about them but can blithely leave pump and tools on the bike), and I also bought less than on occasions when I've only taken one pannier. But at least having both panniers provides a more stable platform for the 100-pack* of bog roll lashed to the top of the rack.

*24 actually.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #669 on: 25 June, 2021, 10:51:03 pm »
I usually bring the panniers into the supermarket in order to have something to pack the shopping into.  That said, I do occasionally leave one pannier with nothing in it (well, maybe a couple of bungees and an inner tube) attached to the bike when visiting shops that don't have trolleys, so as not to have my hands full.

My tools and pump[1] live in the pannier, so I don't have to worry about them.  Dynamo lights mean they stay on the bike.  Years ago I realised that the chances of someone nicking a bike computer were vanishingly small compared to the chances of me dropping one while wandering round a shop, so that stays attached too.

This has reminded me of a folding bike (Dahon shaped object) I saw last week secured by wrapping it round a signpost, with no obvious sign of any lock.  I suppose it might slow them down.

[1] The no longer made Cyclaire Plus is ideal for this, as it has a box-shaped bag with a pocket for your puncture kit, rather than being an awkward long thin thing.

« Reply #670 on: 26 June, 2021, 02:35:12 pm »
But at least having both panniers provides a more stable platform for the 100-pack* of bog roll lashed to the top of the rack.

*24 actually.

Get well soon, Cudzo.

« Reply #671 on: 26 June, 2021, 02:37:43 pm »
@ Kim

Re your building supplies photo, did you take the clamps with you, or were they a cunning afterthought?  Terrific picture!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #672 on: 26 June, 2021, 02:40:01 pm »
Re your building supplies photo, did you take the clamps with you, or were they a cunning afterthought?  Terrific picture!

I took them with me, but I bought the clamps under similar circumstances and realised they were a really good way to secure wood to the trailer (well, the Aldi ones can be a bit iffy if you go over too many bumps).

« Reply #673 on: 26 June, 2021, 02:42:27 pm »
 :)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #674 on: 26 June, 2021, 02:45:05 pm »
its slightly mad when people drive (normally big middle class SUV type vehicles) to refill/zero waste shops burning way more unprocessed plastic then they will save
File under the same logic as those who vote Green Party then drive home in a two ton four-wheel drive then fly to Barbados for a holiday.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.