Author Topic: LEL 2022is coming soon  (Read 31798 times)

Re: LEL 2022is coming soon
« Reply #75 on: 25 July, 2021, 10:38:23 am »

I hope it goes ahead and I hope for Danial it's a success.
For my part, I have decided to withdraw from the pool of volunteers,
I suspect (on zero evidence) that you won't be alone. I'm sure that the churn of volunteers is in the plan, but Covid may well decrease the number of returning volunteers.

For my part I'm torn as regards volunteering - I'm not getting any younger and the last one really knocked me for six. I really enjoyed the event and the company but not sure I can take the (mental & physical) health hit.

The only route for me (and I'm sure there'll be others like me) is to have a robust conversation with the local controller once I've been allocated to a location.
As far as I remember the application process doest allow me to flag these types of issues up in advance of being allocated to a controller.

I am still planning to come over from continental Europe to be a volunteer. I'll be 65 next year so this may be the only chance. Skipping this one and learning volunteering when I am nearly 70 doesn't seem an especially good idea!

Re Covid, it doesn't play that big a part in the plan. Vaccination, mask and SHA have done pretty well so far for me, I don't see a change. As for crossing the Channel, ask me in 3 weeks time, I'm testing the waters, in a manner of speaking. The machinations of the Tory government might well play an excessively intrusive part in planning!

Is it possible, one of the organisation, to change the Facebook account that I use for the volunteers group? My wife having hijacked my old account I now have a new one and don't receive notifications for the old one (although I can still access it).

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #76 on: 25 July, 2021, 09:07:44 pm »
No expert .. but why not join the volunteers group using your new FB account
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #77 on: 25 July, 2021, 10:03:58 pm »
No expert .. but why not join the volunteers group using your new FB account

Can I do that? I thought it was a closed group so you had to use the mail that the organisation had for the Facebook group. Problem is, the mail address that I use as a volunteer is linked to the wrong facebook account (I use it for  almost everything else, except work stuff that might attract spam but my new facebook account uses the work address which isn't the one I communicated to the organisation).

« Reply #78 on: 26 July, 2021, 10:05:47 am »
Then you just need to put the request to join (the group) to the right person.  I’m not on FB anymore but during 15-18 I used a different email on FB to the one I used in comms. Is Olaf still managing the volunteer side? Drop an email to him.

« Reply #79 on: 26 July, 2021, 02:05:41 pm »
I've just checked that I am a member of the volunteer FB group, and I am.
It's very low volume at the moment. Around 3 posts this year so far (and nothing about the new dates yet).
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #80 on: 30 July, 2021, 12:51:09 pm »
Registered volunteers from last time should have had some emails from the organisers.
There's a web page to register as a new volunteer at https://londonedinburghlondon.com/volunteer
It seems that if your details haven't changed that you don't need to re-register, although that wasn't initially very clear.
Danial seems to be monitoring the Volunteers' FB group.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #81 on: 01 August, 2021, 11:52:04 pm »
Registered volunteers from last time should have had some emails from the organisers.
This one has, inviting me to confirm I'm interested in riding next year. It will be useful to the organisers to have a rough idea of how many places might be taken up by those assured entry by having volunteered in 2017 (and another ride (WCW)).
https://londonedinburghlondon.com/

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #82 on: 02 August, 2021, 09:53:07 pm »
Guaranteed places on offer are not just for volunteers from 2017 and WCW , but also long standing AUK members , and those riders bringing a willing 3 day volunteer family member with them.  I expect to find that those taking up guaranteed places are expected to pay promptly in January .. so that we have a realistic view on the number of residual places available for the ballot. Quietly hoping and expecting to find that residual places are heavily oversubscribed.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #83 on: 03 August, 2021, 03:43:23 pm »
If travel beyond the UK is possible I plan to be in Loudeac at Sem Fed in early August 22.

If confined to the UK I'll probably help at Dunfermline on LEL (its not a ride that holds any particular appeal for me as a participant, brilliantly organised though it most certainly is).

« Reply #84 on: 02 October, 2021, 08:44:22 pm »
Last week Grant Farm test rode the proposed LEL 2022 route.  I followed his tracker and tracked his route on RidewithGPS.
Below is the route.  The days are based on a morning start and a possible plan.

I must stress that this is not the official route .  It will be tweeked but it may give some people an idea of what is planned.

Day 1 -https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37613890
Day 2 - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37630230
Day 3 - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37638032
Day 4 - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37647772
LEL 2022 is coming soon to roads near these ones, maybe.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: LEL 2022 is coming soon
« Reply #85 on: 01 December, 2021, 06:36:22 pm »
Just a quick reminder about guaranteed places for AUK members - please check this page before mailing the membership secretary ie me! And of course don't forget to renew in good time to keep your place, you must do it before Jan 1st.

« Reply #86 on: 01 December, 2021, 07:43:49 pm »
Thanks for that, now renewed before I forget.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #87 on: 30 December, 2021, 11:17:30 pm »
Had an email tonight. Am beyond excited at being a volunteer for the third time.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #88 on: 01 January, 2022, 03:14:51 pm »
Hope no one wakes up today and goes bugger my membership has expired.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #89 on: 01 January, 2022, 03:55:46 pm »
So do I, but plenty of warnings have been given.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #90 on: 01 January, 2022, 09:31:27 pm »
The new list is now published here on the AUK website.

I will send this to the LEL team tomorrow, so you have very little time to contact me if you think you should be eligible and your number is missing. Please note I am not promising to be tied to my PC and email all day!

« Reply #91 on: 02 January, 2022, 08:13:42 am »
Its ok iam on the list, now back to sleep. ...

« Reply #92 on: 02 January, 2022, 03:24:01 pm »
Its ok iam on the list, now back to sleep. ...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #93 on: 05 January, 2022, 10:49:17 am »
Guaranteed places on offer are not just for volunteers from 2017 and WCW , but also long standing AUK members , and those riders bringing a willing 3 day volunteer family member with them.  I expect to find that those taking up guaranteed places are expected to pay promptly in January .. so that we have a realistic view on the number of residual places available for the ballot. Quietly hoping and expecting to find that residual places are heavily oversubscribed.
Obviously we are currently expecting this to go ahead, will it still go ahead if international travel restrictions prevent overseas riders from entering?
If restrictions are in place that prevent the event running in summer, will there be a partial refund?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #94 on: 05 January, 2022, 04:45:09 pm »
Obviously we are currently expecting this to go ahead, will it still go ahead if international travel restrictions prevent overseas riders from entering?
If restrictions are in place that prevent the event running in summer, will there be a partial refund?

Good question. The event will go ahead for as long as it remains financially and organisationally viable. If we have another wave of a bad covid infection and the world seizes again before April, then I will probably close the event and pro-rata refund whatever is left in the kitty. Everyone would get back xxp in the £. This will, of course, be horrible, not least because of the work already sunk into the event.

By April there are no refunds, not least because by then we are in the process of spending lots of money on stuff for the event. So if the event is viable it will still go ahead even if there are international travel restrictions. This is why it's crucial that buy travel insurance that cover this sort of situation.

None of this is confirmed; it's just our general thinking of the fairest way to proceed should we have to start making difficult choices.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #95 on: 07 January, 2022, 06:42:41 pm »
My bank demands address, zipcode and city of the recipient for a transfer, which are not listed in the email. Can I find these somewhere?

Btw, that email had the subject "Your entry to London Edinburgh London 2021", but on the about page I don't see time travel to the event included  ???

« Reply #96 on: 07 January, 2022, 07:02:05 pm »
In 2017 the registered address for LEL was a Norwich address.  I remember that as I had to put it on the website as part our negotiations with PayPal to unlock our funds.  I’d think it’s a bit manic out there even though there’s a ballot replacing the fastest finger of 2017.  Personally I’d wait till at least Monday before contacting Roger.  The first 72 hours after opening entries are pretty mad in the central team.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #97 on: 07 January, 2022, 07:09:23 pm »
Btw, that email had the subject "Your entry to London Edinburgh London 2021", but on the about page I don't see time travel to the event included  ???
Good luck getting your head round this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Summer_Olympics
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #98 on: 07 January, 2022, 07:48:55 pm »
No hurries, I'm a paid up AUK member so I'm in anyway  :)

« Reply #99 on: 07 January, 2022, 08:38:23 pm »
In fact had a quick look on Companies House.

Address details here

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/07341627