Author Topic: Hamburg-Berlin-Cologne 2022  (Read 3063 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Hamburg-Berlin-Cologne 2022
« on: 16 July, 2021, 09:20:24 am »
Starts 6:00 am August 4th 2022

https://audaxclub-sh.de/hbk-2022-faq/
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Re: Hamburg-Berlin-Cologne 2022
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2021, 09:30:02 am »

"We’ve orderd comfortable nice warm weather."

Typical German efficiency.  ;D

"The entry fee for 2018 was 190 EUR.
It includes the following:
At least 1500 km of fun..."

And typical German sense of humour too!  ;D

Very tempted indeed to enter this - it has always appealed to me a lot more than PBP. And I've still got over a year to get in shape for it...

The page says entry is closed but presumably that's old info from the previous edition. Is it likely to fill up early?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2 on: 16 July, 2021, 09:45:08 am »

Very tempted indeed to enter this - it has always appealed to me a lot more than PBP. And I've still got over a year to get in shape for it...
Go for it. I've always enjoyed it. I think it's partly to do with the low numbers of riders. And the route. But there's also the really warm welcome from the organisers and helpers. I've made some lasting friendships.
The page says entry is closed but presumably that's old info from the previous edition. Is it likely to fill up early?
I'm pretty sure it hasn't filled up early in the past (or filled up at all), but you never know.

citoyen

« Reply #3 on: 16 July, 2021, 09:48:23 am »
I'm pretty sure it hasn't filled up early in the past (or filled up at all), but you never know.

I assumed that would be the case, but like you say, you never know... The explosion in ultra-endurance events over the last few years means I can easily see it being more popular than previously.

« Reply #4 on: 16 July, 2021, 09:49:07 am »
Registration will be activated in early 2022

I wonder if anyone fancies this on the front of my tandem....

citoyen

« Reply #5 on: 16 July, 2021, 09:53:23 am »
Registration will be activated in early 2022

:thumbsup:

I wonder if anyone fancies this on the front of my tandem....

I might be up for that - although you might regard my limited* tandem experience as a bit of a drawback!

*marginally better than zero - I have actually ridden a tandem before.

« Reply #6 on: 16 July, 2021, 10:08:02 am »
- disappointing lack of beer+wurst at manned controls

This too is the ride I'm building up towards, as I have friends in each of the cities visited.  It's going to take a few years to build up though.

As to the lack of beer and wurst, that's more a Bavarian thing.  In Köln, you were lucky to not to get the half chicken local delicacy (Most pubs list 1/2 a chicken on the menu, but if you order it, it's a small cheese and mustard sandwich).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 16 July, 2021, 10:38:01 am »
LEL is 7-12 August, so it is either/ or.

Completely different experiences in terms of number of riders and scenery, of course, though memorable support on both brevets. I've only ridden 1 x HBKH vs. 3 x LEL.

For those who worry about such things, HBKH has not been homologated by LRM in the past, despite following their rules, and AUK had problems recognising AUKs riding the event. HK and I greatly enjoyed the event regardless of AUK's issues and I would be happy to ride it again.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

« Reply #8 on: 16 July, 2021, 10:53:34 am »
LEL is 7-12 August, so it is either/ or.

I guess that will keep numbers down on HBKH.

Also the homologation business, but that certainly isn't a deciding factor for me. (Although as Paul S has previously noted, getting AUK recognition for HBKH is as simple as registering it as a DIY.)

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #9 on: 16 July, 2021, 10:56:58 am »

Yet audaxclub-sh.de/event/hbk_2022/ states "2022-07-23 @ 06:00 - 2022-07-28 @ 14:00" then contradicts itself with "Einschreibung ab 29.07.2022 (= Abholung der Startunterlagen)  / 10:00 Uhr" (registration on July 29 ie after the closing time...)

So you can do HBKH, recover for two weeks, then ride LEL  ;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 16 July, 2021, 10:59:09 am »
Also the homologation business, but that certainly isn't a deciding factor for me. (Although as Paul S has previously noted, getting AUK recognition for HBKH is as simple as registering it as a DIY.)

Of course, carrying two brevet cards for the same ride is a shit way of doing it.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #11 on: 16 July, 2021, 11:02:09 am »
- disappointing lack of beer+wurst at manned controls

And (I believe this sort of thing important to some people) as the start/finish is on school premises, no alcohol is allowed there - not even a can of beer which has been bought elsewhere. They were very strict about this, as any violation could mean them being denied use of it in future.

I've just spent time re-living the 2010 edition https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=24201.175

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 16 July, 2021, 11:06:39 am »

Of course, carrying two brevet cards for the same ride is a shit way of doing it.

Agreed, but probably not a deal-breaker for those people who find that kind of thing important.

« Reply #13 on: 16 July, 2021, 11:19:57 am »
I've only done 1 x LEL (and as Deano put it- I live in the good bits) but 0 x HBKH so think of the explorer tiles  :o

I'm excited about a year of May- Highland Fling / June- PBP Audax / July- HBKH

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #14 on: 16 July, 2021, 11:22:04 am »
Tempting, the lack of beer isn't a problem, the lack of wurst no big deal, registering a DIY by GPS for auk meh.
Having never been to Berlin before and I'd only get a brief skiff off it well.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 16 July, 2021, 11:24:12 am »

Sounds like a whole lot of tandeming.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #16 on: 16 July, 2021, 12:35:54 pm »
I've only done 1 x LEL (and as Deano put it- I live in the good bits) but 0 x HBKH so think of the explorer tiles  :o

Of course if you come to HBKH you can overnight with us on your way there... We are sort-of on the way to Hamburg.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

Hamburg-Berlin-Cologne 2022
« Reply #17 on: 16 July, 2021, 05:08:04 pm »
Got next year’s production schedule today. Assuming the 23rd July date is correct, that should work out quite well for me. 4th August would be more problematic - but then I’ve still got a year to find a different job…

Also mentioned it to my wife - make sure it’s on her radar nice and early. She just rolled her eyes. I’m taking that as a kind of approval. ;D

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #18 on: 16 July, 2021, 05:10:27 pm »
Tempting, the lack of beer isn't a problem, the lack of wurst no big deal, registering a DIY by GPS for auk meh.

Any lack of wurst elsewhere could be compensated by the huge thing floating in thick pea soup which was on offer at the Nauen control. It was a big deal for Veggie McNasty, until the serving Frau solved the problem by fishing out the monster from his bowl leaving him with meat-free Erbsensuppe.

« Reply #19 on: 20 July, 2021, 11:59:00 am »

Any lack of wurst elsewhere could be compensated by the huge thing floating in thick pea soup which was on offer at the Nauen control. It was a big deal for Veggie McNasty, until the serving Frau solved the problem by fishing out the monster from his bowl leaving him with meat-free Erbsensuppe.

One of my German friends counts herself as veggie as she only eats chicken, veal and fish (but only fish that doesn't taste of fish)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Hamburg-Berlin-Cologne 2022
« Reply #20 on: 27 July, 2021, 01:02:27 am »
Hm Kalb Bratwurst. Yum.

I visited McNasty for lunch once, and the tables were turned in that matter, cheese and biscuits, and I shouldn't eat dairy, so I had the biscuits.

Weather, Covid and injury means I've not used my twilight card yet and I'm hoping to ride the 8some or Star.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #21 on: 30 July, 2021, 11:08:28 pm »
We have told the story before of touring in Germany and Mrs P ordering a veggie dish, being fed up with eating haxen for days, getting presented a plate of half a cabbage in gravy.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22 on: 31 July, 2021, 12:51:14 am »
Hastily prepared sauerkraut?