Author Topic: hay fever immunotherapy  (Read 2074 times)

hay fever immunotherapy
« on: 29 February, 2020, 12:15:34 pm »
For more years than I can remember I have suffered with hay fever.  I get a runny nose, sore bones and muscles, a high temperature, etc.  For many years i thought it was just a summer cold, then realised it was hay fever and started using medication.  despite every nasal spray under the sun I continued to have major problems.

For cycling this was a disaster.  I would train all winter and then be unable to ride for most of May and June.  By July I had lost all my fitness.

So this year i decided to seek immunotherapy to try and reduce my symptoms to a level where I can control them with nasal steroids.

My immunologist recommended 4 weekly injections and I had the third yesterday.

What i had not realised was that there would be a major systemic response!  The first 2 injections were not too bad but 4 hours after yesterdays injection my body went haywire!! All of the skin on my hands became incredibly hot and red, with some swelling,  all my muscles and bones started to hurt.  I got itchy red rash all over my body and I was so tired I was in bed and asleep before 9.  This morning still tired and all muscles weak but beginning to feel more normal.  Taking today easily and hopefully do a turbo session tomorrow.

I am hoping that the strength of this response augurs well for the success of the treatment.  We will see.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: hay fever immunotherapy
« Reply #1 on: 29 February, 2020, 05:50:21 pm »
You'd think he would have warned you about that...?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 29 February, 2020, 06:15:50 pm »
Like many treatments the list of potential side affects reads like a list of the symptoms you’d get if you got the thing you are trying to avoid.

« Reply #3 on: 29 February, 2020, 06:52:48 pm »
I really should have expected the side effects but this last one was a real shock and wiped me out for over 24 hours. I am only just beginning  to feel normal after almost 36 hours.

Hopefully it works!  Being able to do long rides in May and June will be life changing.

« Reply #4 on: 29 February, 2020, 08:43:14 pm »
I am only just begun Ning to feel normal after almost 36 hours.
That's normal ?   :-)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5 on: 29 February, 2020, 09:35:08 pm »
Corrected.

I suspect that if you trigger a massive histamine release and inflammatory response it probably is.

« Reply #6 on: 29 February, 2020, 09:54:41 pm »
I know several people who have gone through this and it has been life changing. (for the better)

« Reply #7 on: 01 March, 2020, 08:07:42 am »
I know several people who have gone through this and it has been life changing. (for the better)

I am hoping!!  It has really affected my life for many years.

« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2020, 09:18:16 am »
Could you give any feedback or follow up as to how effective the treatment was for you? My allergies to pollen and chemicals is getting worse each year and immunotherapy is something I am considering, however my age of 77 may be against this treatment.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #9 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:04:27 pm »
The result?  Brilliant. I took from memory about 4 anti histamines this year and those were on the basis of a high pollen count to be sensible. It was essentially the first year of my life where I enjoyed to early summer. I commuted every day by bike in the lockdown without a single problem.

Normally it is done as a 2 year cycle but this year they are offering an alternative of sublingual capsules for the followup treatment.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 06 October, 2020, 07:48:37 am »
I had two courses of it when I was much younger.  No side-effects, in fact no effect at all.  I think the dose they gave me was at homeopathic levels.

Beconase is sufficient to manage my hay fever at 1/4 the recommended dose.  The full dose is far too strong for many people and will give nosebleeds.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.