Author Topic: This is not a tour. Welsh rides in the spirit of Mike Hall - 2/3rd June 2018.  (Read 63803 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
I'm DNS also, not been on the bike for 2 weeks now - don't think I'll be riding over 200km for the foreseeable future at the moment... :(
Regards,

Joergen

Sloth make 600 map

I put the "points of interest" & controls into GPX files as waypoints so they can be uploaded to Garmin or similar
TINAT600Controls.gpx
TINAT600POI.gpx

vistaed

• Everyday stories
The real question, though, is whether to try to ride through the ford before Claerwen Farm, or wade the bike through?

Afon Claerddu ford?

or http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/411693

Probably a shoes off and wade job for me...  :)
I rode through two weekends ago. And rode through three times last year when route planning. But this means nothing on Saturday.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Chris N

I waded it back in April, but it had been pissing down for several days prior.

I still need to decide which bike to take. My main concern is gearing on the climbs - anyone have a clear idea of what proportion are super steep?

(I’m doing the 300)

...the climbs...what proportion are super steep?

All of them once your tired? (My 34x36 will get plenty of use after Dinas Mawddwy but perhaps you don't go over to Newtown on the 300?)

All of them once your tired? (My 34x36 will get plenty of use after Dinas Mawddwy but perhaps you don't go over to Newtown on the 300?)

The 300A misses the loop after Dinas Mawddwy - it goes straight(-ish) to Newtown, then reasonably direct back to Llandrindod Wells.

I'm hoping 36x28 won't mean too much walking.

Has anyone broken the 400 gpx down into sections that I could look at pinch please?

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
@wilkyboy, thank you enormously for posting that photo. That makes it really clear where to go.
Seconded  :thumbsup: I was scratching my head looking at that junction on google yesterday.  Shoulda checked here  :facepalm:

— You can do a nifty Larrington Manoeuvre to avoid the Devil's Staircase, which is an ugly ramp — bear R to forestry track at bottom where the Elenydd checkpoint usually is, then keep L at each T to R @ road at top — it's a much steadier gradient than the Staircase and more gravelly (and credit to Iddu for that, back in 2013)
In this map leave the road at the cattle grid (CG) and follow the obvious route to return to the road north of Pen y Cnwc?
Off here and return here
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

TOBY

• hello
The real question, though, is whether to try to ride through the ford before Claerwen Farm, or wade the bike through?

Afon Claerddu ford?

or http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/411693

Probably a shoes off and wade job for me...  :)
I rode through two weekends ago. And rode through three times last year when route planning. But this means nothing on Saturday.

should be nicely topped up by the weekend

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has anyone broken the 400 gpx down into sections that I could look at pinch please?
What's your requirement? Do you just prefer to navigate from several tracks/routes instead of one big one?

One big track is working for me. Saves on thinking during the ride!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
— You can do a nifty Larrington Manoeuvre to avoid the Devil's Staircase, which is an ugly ramp — bear R to forestry track at bottom where the Elenydd checkpoint usually is, then keep L at each T to R @ road at top — it's a much steadier gradient than the Staircase and more gravelly (and credit to Iddu for that, back in 2013)
In this map leave the road at the cattle grid (CG) and follow the obvious route to return to the road north of Pen y Cnwc?
Off here and return here

Yup, that's the one  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

What's your requirement? Do you just prefer to navigate from several tracks/routes instead of one big one?

The big one works fine. It's just good sometimes to have the routes in section to each/the next control.
I'm useless at that stuff and it'd take me longer to do than ride it.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
Off here and return here

I'll certainly be giving that one a go  :thumbsup: [I've ridden the DS properly, so don't feel any obligation for Saturday.]

It's a shame there are no official "interesting" bits on the Sunday for us soft400 riders. If you spot me Nick, feel free to guide me down some interesting paths, but left to my own devices I shall play safe on Sunday.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Alexander Turner

• Enough is plenty. Good enough will do.

The big one works fine. It's just good sometimes to have the routes in section to each/the next control.

Here you go. Cut from the route emailed by Mark. https://ridewithgps.com/users/151788/routes

Here you go. Cut from the route emailed by Mark. https://ridewithgps.com/users/151788/routes

You’re a star. Thanks very much.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
Off here and return here

I'll certainly be giving that one a go  :thumbsup: [I've ridden the DS properly, so don't feel any obligation for Saturday.]

It's a shame there are no official "interesting" bits on the Sunday for us soft400 riders. If you spot me Nick, feel free to guide me down some interesting paths, but left to my own devices I shall play safe on Sunday.
Soory to have served up such a boring Sunday ride. However, you could try riding over the Hergest ridge stright out of Kington to the West. It was on our very original draft route.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
Soory to have served up such a boring Sunday ride. However, you could try riding over the Hergest ridge stright out of Kington to the East. It was on our very original draft route.
;D

Oh please don't be - it looks a LOVELY route. And the climb out of Dinas Mawddwy will be "interesting" enough! I very much doubt that I will WANT any more challenges if you ask me on Sunday.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

vistaed

• Everyday stories
Soory to have served up such a boring Sunday ride. However, you could try riding over the Hergest ridge stright out of Kington to the East. It was on our very original draft route.
;D

Oh please don't be - it looks a LOVELY route. And the climb out of Dinas Mawddwy will be "interesting" enough! I very much doubt that I will WANT any more challenges if you ask me on Sunday.
If this weekend works out OK, Im going to 'talk' with Mark about the possibility of 400 & 600 v2 routes. Haven ridden them both and looked at more OS maps, I think the Eastern and Southern sections could be 'spiced' up a bit.

It looks like you can save 80m of climbing by taking the main road from Llangurig to Llanidloes, and - on the 300 route - you can save 200m (!) in 7km by sticking to the A489 most of the way to Newtown.

Would I be missing anything, especially as it'll be dark when I get to Newtown?

vistaed

• Everyday stories
It looks like you can save 80m of climbing by taking the main road from Llangurig to Llanidloes, and - on the 300 route - you can save 200m (!) in 7km by sticking to the A489 most of the way to Newtown.

You'll be missing some nice lanes, and avoiding the task of riding hills, something that Mike never shed away from, that's all.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
so who's up for a bit of 'Pass Storming'? I've just plotted that optional extra and will see how the weather and the legs are on the day!  :thumbsup:
appearing in a tea room near you

Off here and return here

I've never done Devil's Staircase - so I guess I'll probably stick to the road this time, but that track does look like a good option...

edit:  If anyone's interested, the Geograph.org centisquares image navigator e.g. Tywyn/Bryncrug area can be useful to find images of tracks - some of the photos can be a tad old though...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

You'll be missing some nice lanes, and avoiding the task of riding hills, something that Mike never shed away from, that's all.

Alternatively, you can add 200m of climbing in 7km (on the 600 route) by taking the first right on the A5 out of Betws-y-Coed:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27670889

The climb is quite a commitment, I think, but it's very pretty, and the route takes you over some beautiful, rugged high ground with very nice roads to boot.

I was tempted to do this detour on the 600 tomorrow, but realised it'll be dark by the time I get there so I won't be able to see the nice views :(

If anyone's interested, the Geograph.org centisquares image navigator e.g. Tywyn/Bryncrug area can be useful to find images of tracks - some of the photos can be a tad old though...

Thanks for the link. What a great resource!