Author Topic: Is it me, or is the Garmin Connect Mobile iPhone app just crap?  (Read 2439 times)

I've had a Garmin Edge 810 for a number of years and a number of iPhones over the same period. On switching on the Edge and opening the app, both tell me they're are connected to each other (via Bluetooth). The phone's Bluetooth settings confirm this. I go for a ride, then save the ride and the Edge tries but fails to successfully sync the ride to the app. Repeatedly turning on/off of the phone, the Edge and the app, unpairing and re-pairing the Edge, and then trying again fails to solve the problem.

The things is, it's not a new problem. Its always been like this - Initially, and for a few years, following an update of the app, uploading went smoothly for a while but then another update comes along and it stops working. For a while it yo-yo'd between working and not working with successive updates but the last 4 updates have failed to get the app to accept data from the Edge. I really have no idea why, if the app and Edge both report a Bluetooth connection to each other, the ride data just won't transfer.

What, if anything, can I do about it?
Would a newer Edge behave better with the app? I really only want mapping, routing and a few ride metrics. None of the newer features (and there are loads) attract me.
Are there any other apps that can upload data from the Edge (that don't require Garmin Connect app to act as middleman, e.g. Strava)?
Should I get a Wahoo or something else?

Thanks for any help (or just sympathy)
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Is it me, or is the Garmin Connect Mobile iPhone app just crap?
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2021, 08:36:10 pm »
This sort of thing's normal for Bluetooth, Shirley?  Headphones, keyboards, meece, bike lights, cars, Chinese test equipment, Androids, Windows, Linux, none of them seem to be able to connect and stay connected reliably.  I'm fortunate in as much that I've managed to avoid the combination of Garmin and The Devil's Other Radio™ thus far, which can only be a recipe for stress, ulcers and even Death.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2021, 08:42:14 pm »
Ditch the phone, get an eTrex.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2021, 09:12:42 pm »
Ditch the phone, get an eTrex.

Is my general thought process on the matter.  But I'm the sort of person who's prepared to put the effort into a learning 1990s user interface in exchange for hardware that mostly works and a minimal of cloudy wank.  My preferred means of uploading to Strava is using a USB cable and a Bash script.  Most people have other priorities.  YMMV.

« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2021, 09:20:44 pm »
Ditch the Garmin, use the GPS-enabled waterproof* computer you already own.

(* assuming iPhone 7 or later)

« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2021, 09:07:10 am »
Thing is, the 810 works perfectly well and with Bluetooth switched off, probably works much the same as an eTrex. I’ve already ditched Garmin maps and use Openstreetmaps on the MicroSD card which I can swap for a OS map card. Besides, a phone is big and ungainly, uses a lot of battery power when used as a GPS, not always waterproof and needs a phone signal.

Garmin, IMHO, are like Sony. They make great hardware, let down by terrible software.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2021, 09:13:34 am »
What Kim says.

That said, I think Garmin Connect works quite well on my iPhone SE (2020 model) connecting to an Edge 830 and VivoActive4 whereas a Samsung S9 I used up to 6 months ago really struggled to connect to the same 830.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 29 May, 2021, 12:22:13 pm »
Besides, a phone is big and ungainly, uses a lot of battery power when used as a GPS, not always waterproof and needs a phone signal.

To be fair, the GPS on a smart phone works just fine without a phone signal, and you can store maps locally.

(I still prefer the eTrex approach, but I have an Android tablet full of OS and OSM maps that I like to refer to for more spontaneous planning while touring.)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 29 May, 2021, 10:33:34 pm »
Would a newer Edge behave better with the app? [\quote]

Not necessarily. My Edge Explore is a bit flaky sometimes, but not all the time. Maybe a bit better than my old 510 that it replaced.

Thanks for any help (or just sympathy)

You have my sympathy.

Personally, I prefer to have a standalone dedicated device for recording rides (rather than using my phone), and I like being able to upload rides without having to be at a desk/laptop, and without needing wires, so I put up with the occasional connectivity glitch.

There are pros and cons to all approaches, it’s about weighing them up and choosing which set of compromises suit your own needs best.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #9 on: 30 May, 2021, 06:07:25 am »
I'd suggest the issue is hardware rather than software related.  I use a Garmin Fenix 6 smartwatch and connect using Bluetooth to my Samsung Galaxy S9 phone for Garmin Connect without issues.   My previous watch, a Garmin Forerunner 735XT similarly connected flawlessly and Garmin Connect is / was no problem on the phone with either.

On the other hand, the Fenix doesn't talk nearly as well with my Galaxy Tab S7+ as it does the older Galaxy S9 phone. 

« Reply #10 on: 30 May, 2021, 08:05:43 am »
Similar to PB my fenix is virtually perfect in its connection whereas my 1030 uploads via the wifi rather than the phone most of the time.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 01 June, 2021, 05:21:41 pm »
I used to be a Garmin devotee but then I got a Wahoo Bolt* and realised how these sort of things *should* work.

I still have a Garmion GPS that I use for walking but my Edge is sitting gathering dust.

*Recently updated to Elemnt Roam.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor