Author Topic: Lions in South Africa  (Read 2009 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Lions in South Africa
« on: 26 June, 2021, 10:44:07 pm »
Alun Wyn Jones has dislocated a shoulder in a warmup game v Japan and will not now take part in the tour. Bollocks. That's a terrible start.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jun/26/lions-japan-match-report-alun-wyn-jones

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Lions in South Africa
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2021, 11:25:09 pm »
Lions in South Africa?  regrettably, very few  - and now one less.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2021, 03:14:38 pm »
I'm surprised [as are many] that Adam Beard has been brought in for Jones.  I'd have thought Johhny Gray or James Ryan, although I understand that Ryan has picked up a thigh strain.  Beard is a good player but Gray offers so much more, specially in his physicality.

Josh Navidi coming in for Tipuric is more understandable.  Like for like, openside for openside, Sam Underhill is the obvious candidate, but again I believe he has picked up a head knock in training.  Navidi is an 8 or blindside but is a class player and unlucky not to get selected in the first place.

Gatland must be hoping that Hamish Watson promptly recovers from his concussion, at the moment Tom Curry is his only openside, even though he usually plays blindside for England.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2021, 11:47:36 pm »
Well they came from behind to win!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/24/south-africa-british-and-irish-lions-first-test-match-report

And it would appear that Alun Wyn Jones has recovered sufficiently to be playing. Courtney Lawes had a very good game, it seems. I've previously thought him to be over-rated.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2021, 07:44:47 pm »
Bugger.