Author Topic: Camp Sites  (Read 4804 times)

Camp Sites
« on: 10 July, 2021, 12:29:14 pm »
I am beginning to think that they have all turned into static sites. They reminded me of the construction camp accommodation for the workers on big sites out in the sticks when we done the Divide in America . Can't wait to do proper camping in France again.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Camp Sites
« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2021, 05:22:40 pm »
Certainly some have but there are lots still out there. Any particular areas you're interested in?

« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2021, 09:15:10 am »
Was down in Dumfries & Galloway, Barnsoul camping is going to be upgraded to lodges. Covid has changed camping, it's going to be self contained units and more places are only taking weekly bookings. Cleaning the facilities 4 or more times a day is not cost effective.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2021, 09:30:11 am »
Was down in Dumfries & Galloway, Barnsoul camping is going to be upgraded to lodges. Covid has changed camping, it's going to be self contained units and more places are only taking weekly bookings. Cleaning the facilities 4 or more times a day is not cost effective.

Yes, good points. 

We have had mixed experiences since COVID kicked off.  Last July we went to The Lakes with the caravan and the Caravan & Motorhome Club site were were on allowed full access to the toilet block albeit with restrictions on the number of users at any one time.  Then in August we were tent camping in Suffolk and the site we were on wouldn't open the showers so we had to take a portable shower and shower tent which didn't work well but we were only away for the weekend.

This year we have only used the caravan so far.  Full toilet block access for a long weekend at another Suffolk site, one in Essex and on a Camping & Caravan Club site in Northumberland again with user number restrictions.

« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2021, 02:18:41 pm »
I've just booked a night at https://www.caeadda.com/ campsite on the west side of Llyn Trawsfynydd.  £10, includes shower, loos and a small camp kitchen with a kettle and microwave.  That's for one adult with a 2 man tent and a car for a midweek night in August.  Seems like excellent value and I'm looking forward to a run round the lake.

Update: excellent value campsite with good clean toilet and kitchen facilities. Rather undulating but as it was very quiet there’s plenty of space for small tents. There’s a cycle/footpath route (mountain bikes) around the lake, and some shops/pubs not too far away in Trawsfynydd.

Recommended :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 16 August, 2021, 02:50:21 pm »
Has anyone tried a moving on camping tour recently , and if so did you book sites in advance ?    I'm thinking of trying to get away in September , using smaller C&CC sites.   

I don't usually book as I like the freedom of not being committed to an destination. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 16 August, 2021, 02:59:19 pm »
Sort of. I've stayed at campsites in Wiltshire, the Chilterns (White Mark) and the Forest of Dean recently. None booked, all busy, all had space.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7 on: 16 August, 2021, 03:27:23 pm »
We've just spent the weekend at Strattons Farm Campsite, near Wisbech.  Nice little site, a bit in the middle of nowhere, but with the cleanest loos and showers I think I've ever seen on a campsite.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #8 on: 16 August, 2021, 05:07:52 pm »
Stayed at a number of C&CC mainstream sites recently. All said they would find room for a backpacker. If going away over the bank holiday or seaside sites I would consider booking

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 16 August, 2021, 05:11:48 pm »
Stayed at a number of C&CC mainstream sites recently. All said they would find room for a backpacker. If going away over the bank holiday or seaside sites I would consider booking

It's a requirement for C&CC club sites - but not for certificated sites.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #10 on: 16 August, 2021, 08:27:50 pm »

It's a requirement for C&CC club sites - but not for certificated sites.

At present, the official line is that all clubsites are only taking advance booking, including backpackers, but obviously the individual sites might not be following that policy. If you are worried, phone the specific site on the day and in practice they will usually find a space.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #11 on: 24 August, 2021, 01:42:09 pm »
Has anyone tried a moving on camping tour recently , and if so did you book sites in advance ?    I'm thinking of trying to get away in September , using smaller C&CC sites.   

I don't usually book as I like the freedom of not being committed to an destination.
We have recently returned from two weeks camping on our tandem taking in the North Pennines, the Lake District, Silverdale, Ribblesdale and the Yorkshire Dales. I made a point of carefully planning the trip and booking ahead all the sites as we were travelling in peak holiday season and lots of people are not going abroad this year. I'm happy to report that despite some of the sites having notices saying reservations only all of them would have had room for us. The busiest site of all was Mason's at Appletreewick where we were arriving on a Saturday. When I contacted them to book they said that if we were arriving by bike or on foot there was no need to book and that they never turn anyone away on foot or bike. So to answer your question I would have no reservations (no pun intended) of turning up a campsite in September on a bike.

« Reply #12 on: 02 September, 2021, 06:35:26 pm »
We were down in Wigtownshire for the first time in decades and really enjoyed the cycling; we were amazed by the number of holiday sites and camper vans. The number of sites is amazing, and the huge majority are all static vans/cabins or for caravans and campers.  We didn't see many at all that had tents.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #13 on: 23 September, 2021, 11:08:04 pm »
I've just booked a weekend (1st-4th October) at the Crowborough C & CC site for Jan and me with our Vango Icarus 500 tent. We haven't used it for quite some time so it will need checking. I've never spent time in that part of the world, which is a bit of an admission for a Winnie-ther-Pooh geek.

I don't know that there will be any cycling: fitting a bike or two in the car with all the camping kit could be a bit of a challenge.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #14 on: 25 September, 2021, 07:55:58 pm »
a Winnie-ther-Pooh geek
Hey, Wow: I'm in Spain otherwise might have popped over to say hi, as I'm local.
I'd like to suggest that if you plan to play poo-sticks at the famous bridge that you take the sticks with you as the trees there are stripped of anything vaguely resembling a twig for a large area around.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #15 on: 01 October, 2021, 11:09:11 pm »
a Winnie-ther-Pooh geek
Hey, Wow: I'm in Spain otherwise might have popped over to say hi, as I'm local.
I'd like to suggest that if you plan to play poo-sticks at the famous bridge that you take the sticks with you as the trees there are stripped of anything vaguely resembling a twig for a large area around.

Because of tomorrow's forecast, we have postponed for a week. Will you be back then?

A game of Poohsticks is a must. I might gather the GCs from Maidstone so that we can have an inter-generational game.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #16 on: 02 October, 2021, 07:55:15 am »
Flying back on Monday October 4, because the test to fly requirement is dead as of 4am on that morning
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #17 on: 25 April, 2022, 07:58:17 pm »
When I was planning for a couple of night in Polstead last week, in order to see Cycleman & Apollo, I gave a bit of thought to my route up there. In the end events got the better of me and I didn't make the trip.

However, my online explorations discovered this pub: https://www.thehareandhound.co.uk/accommodation-bed-and-breakfast-colchester#camping

I had intended to stop there for lunch on the way to Polstead, it being about 35 miles from my house, and I was going to ask them for a few electrons to keep my e-bike's battery topped up. What I didn't realise was that the pub also offers camping.

35 miles seems to me to be a very nice distance for an out-and-back, and I will probably do this fairly soon. I wondered if there was anyone else who fancied a small tripette to get the camping season kicked off? I will probably wait until the local elections are over (5th May) as I'm a candidate and have been doing some tramping around leafletting recently.

It's here: http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=594471&Y=218756&A=Y&Z=120

A lovely area with lots of pubs and stuff, as well as close proximity to Colchester and the Tiptree jam factory.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #18 on: 25 April, 2022, 10:20:35 pm »

I knew there was new development but didn't realise the camping was going. That's not good for future KM rallies :(

https://www.dng24.co.uk/next-generation-holiday-resort-launches-in-region/