Author Topic: Mid-Essex DunRun and Bivi Weekend 24/25/26 July 2021  (Read 4614 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Mid-Essex DunRun and Bivi Weekend 24/25/26 July 2021
« Reply #25 on: 23 July, 2021, 07:25:24 am »
Nice trite answer. On the way to Dunwich it's unlikely you'll find a pub open after 11 pm. It's a popular ride so your planned sheltering places will very likely be over occupied before you decide to seek shelter ( because your Audax heritage means you can cope better with adverse weather  than a typical DD rider). When you get to Dunwich there will be no shelter from rain because everywhere will be fully occupied. Other than that I wish you good luck  on your bivvying weekend.

:thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #26 on: 23 July, 2021, 08:21:36 am »
I've never done the DD but I have ridden the route overnight back in June 2007, the 30th to be precise.  It was the infamous Blue Moon Ride and the weather was biblical then.

Have fun Tomsk  :thumbsup:

« Reply #27 on: 23 July, 2021, 08:37:54 am »
It's only showers, I'm sure it'll all be grand. Enjoy Tomsk and all those joining the merry gang.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: 27 July, 2021, 09:49:10 pm »
Great little tour! DunRun was good: modest numbers; a few club type groups but always someone about ahead or behind. Met or waved to a few of the 'usual suspects'. Cooked breakfast bacon on the beach. Just a few spots of rain during the DunRun night and though big shower clouds were observed inland, going down the coast all day Monday was more or less all blue sky, sunshine and a gentle cooling sea breeze. Icecreams in Felixstowe!

All the ferries worked out ok, bivi spot was good (after a fair bit of searching for the perfect place) - mild night, distant waves breaking, no disturbances, Wetherspoons breakfast, Tiptree for coffee and scones and then home. Roughly 300km for me for the whole trip, a fair bit more for Despeuch, who rode down to London and back up with the DunRunners. Very happy to have ticked off the Butley ferry on my to-do list (distinguished elderly gentleman in a floppy hat rowed us over - just room for two plus bikes). We were following/leapfrogging a young Polish guy who found himself in London for a couple of weeks and at a loose end, so did pretty much exactly what we were doing post DunRun. It took us over 60 years (each!) to get round to doing a trip that's on our doorstep and some young chap just casually waltzes along as if it's the most everyday thing in the world! Chapeau!

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #29 on: 27 July, 2021, 09:58:53 pm »
Great work Tomsk. I have a silly plan for a six ferries 200 that involves an inland joint to Southwold and then following the coast down to Mersea Island and then back inland. It'll need careful planning!

I've never done the DD but I have ridden the route overnight back in June 2007, the 30th to be precise.  It was the infamous Blue Moon Ride and the weather was biblical then.

That was 2007?!! Bloody hell, time flies.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #30 on: 28 July, 2021, 08:23:47 am »
Nice one Tomsk  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #31 on: 28 July, 2021, 11:26:50 am »
It seems to have been a nigh-on perfect Dun Run, after a poor forecast.

I was really quite pissed off to have missed out, but I'm very Covid-cautious, to the extent that I still don't want to get on trains. Dez, of course, as a transplant patient, is extremely reclusive and wouldn't have given me a lift back, as he has in previous years.

Well done to those who did the ride. I keep on thinking about cycle camping, but I think this summer may well be a write-off. I suppose I could do a couple of out-and-backs...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.