Author Topic: GP access...  (Read 2124 times)

GP access...
« on: 17 August, 2021, 11:14:23 pm »
Don't know what it's like elsewhere, but GP surgeries still seem difficult to get a consultation with.

Family member has a suspected skin infection, tried to do an GP e-consult online (for a within 48hr telephone), but for some reason get directed to seek medical attention from NHS 111 because of symtoms warrant a more urgent route.  After waiting for ~30mins, then questions, 111 said we've notified local pharmacy you'll contact them tomorrow.  What's the pharmacist going to do, ask to have a look, want some pictures, dispense antibiotics if needed because of 111 'referrral'?   :-\ :( ???
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: GP access...
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2021, 12:16:32 am »
Pharmacists can do quite a lot...
Theres a list here:
https://www.nhsinform.scot/care-support-and-rights/nhs-services/pharmacy/nhs-pharmacy-first-scotland

Of what all pharmacies can cover.

It's almost like they know drugs better than doctors..........

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2021, 07:14:15 am »
I was extremely against increasing the role of community pharmacists when it was first suggested (possibly 30 years ago?) But I know when to admit I'm wrong - yes, it does happen, ask my wife.
Pharmacists have proved to be a valuable part of local, primary healthcare. Our experience has been that they both provide good quality treatment & advice, but much more importantly know their limitations.
Anrcdote: neighbour went to pharmacy with hot red swelling on leg, pharmacist /took/ them to the GP surgery, who within 30 minutes, had them on their way to a vascular ward for treatment of a DVT
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 18 August, 2021, 07:32:29 am »
Pharmacists can do quite a lot...
Theres a list here:
https://www.nhsinform.scot/care-support-and-rights/nhs-services/pharmacy/nhs-pharmacy-first-scotland

Of what all pharmacies can cover.

It's almost like they know drugs better than doctors..........

A pharmacist friend is certain they do - based on the number of times he sees prescriptions and calls the issuing doctor to check the drug or dose . . . and then get a corrected prescription.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2021, 08:14:27 am »
The local pharmacy tends to be my first port of call.  They've even rung the GP and arranged for a prescription to be sent over without me needing to be seen by a doctor  :thumbsup:

If I have to go to the GP practice (which is virtually impossible at the moment - and I am formally complaining about it) then I tend to see whichever GP is free.  No chance of getting an appointment to see my named GP.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2021, 12:01:15 pm »
My named GP doesn't even work at the surgery in my village.

I made an appointment 19:00 Sunday; for a call Tuesday 11:00 and I'm seeing a consultant Friday and can have a walk-in X-Ray any time 9-4:30 (that I'm willing to wait).

It's a lottery

ian

« Reply #6 on: 18 August, 2021, 12:08:09 pm »
We do have a bit of a hang-up that healthcare must be provided by a 'doctor' – there's no reason (and it's desirable to avoid bottlenecks) to have a wider net of expertise and contacts in primary care (it's also beneficial, doctors are primarily good at one thing, which isn't always the thing you need).

Regulator

« Reply #7 on: 18 August, 2021, 12:13:10 pm »
My named GP doesn't even work at the surgery in my village.

I made an appointment 19:00 Sunday; for a call Tuesday 11:00 and I'm seeing a consultant Friday and can have a walk-in X-Ray any time 9-4:30 (that I'm willing to wait).

It's a lottery

We're part of a super practice now, with five different surgeries - and if you call for an appointment you can be asked to attend any one of those five surgeries.  The one in the village is a short cycle/walk - about 0.5 miles from the front door.  The next closest (Sawston) is 3.5 miles, the next (Linton) is 8.7 miles if I do some offroading (9.3 miles if I stick to roads), Barley is 10.8 miles and Market Hill 12.5 miles.

Of the alternative, only Sawston has a direct bus connection - otherwise you have to go into Cambridge and then out again.  I'm lucky in that I can drive or cycle to these places - many of our elderly or infirm residents can't....

...but apparently it's all about offering us a 'better service'.

Oh - and no booking appointments online.  You have to phone and hope that you can get a slot for a call back from a GP or nurse. 

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #8 on: 18 August, 2021, 12:21:40 pm »
We have a similar set up. Obtaining a consultation is a nightmare. How these practices obtain good ratings, I don't know, unless they got top marks in queuing theory and practice.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #9 on: 02 September, 2021, 11:54:54 am »
With my local practice, no, you cannot book an appointment online, no you cannot queue up before the practice opens to book an appointment, no you cannot book an appointment for a week or two's time, yes you can try phoning from 8:30am, only to be held in a phone queue for 30 minutes, and find out no appointments left.

Regulator

« Reply #10 on: 02 September, 2021, 12:31:16 pm »
With my local practice, no, you cannot book an appointment online, no you cannot queue up before the practice opens to book an appointment, no you cannot book an appointment for a week or two's time, yes you can try phoning from 8:30am, only to be held in a phone queue for 30 minutes, and find out no appointments left.

I found a way round this...  I went to the pharmacy and asked if I could get a particular medicine OTC.  "No" says the pharmacist "It's prescription only.  What's the problem?"  I showed him my hands.

He phone's the surgery, who send me a text with a link to enable to send a request/pictures.  Half an hour later I get a call from the ANP at the practice who, after a few questions confirming I understand the condition, contraindications of the medicine, etc. (which I do), writes me a prescription which she emails to the pharmacy.  I'll pick the prescription up in a couple of hours.

However, it took the pharmacist phoning the surgery (I've had no luck over the last few days getting through to arrange a call back) to get anything done.  Which is not acceptable.

Green Party Councillor

ian

« Reply #11 on: 02 September, 2021, 12:56:44 pm »
Ours used to have a nice open surgery every morning, basically, turn up before 10.30 am and get seen, no appointment necessary. On the few times I needed to visit, there was rarely more than a 30 minute wait even after sauntering in at 10 am (because I don't do morning).

This was apparently 'too popular' so now it's the call at 8.30 am system that is useless. I assume somehow having patients unable to book an appointment ticks a box on an assessment form. According to my wife, you can torture a future appointment out of them by being stroppy and female and not wanting a random bloke with a medical degree to surveil her third quartile.

I did discover that submitting an online query to surgery through the world's most clunky web-engine gave me an otherwise undisclosed option to submit my medical question and request a telephone consultation with GP which worked perfectly (even if the GP herself was a bit underwhelming).

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #12 on: 02 September, 2021, 01:05:11 pm »

I found a way round this...  I went to the pharmacy and asked if I could get a particular medicine OTC.  "No" says the pharmacist "It's prescription only.  What's the problem?"  I showed him my hands.

He phone's the surgery, who send me a text with a link to enable to send a request/pictures.  Half an hour later I get a call from the ANP at the practice who, after a few questions confirming I understand the condition, contraindications of the medicine, etc. (which I do), writes me a prescription which she emails to the pharmacy.  I'll pick the prescription up in a couple of hours.

However, it took the pharmacist phoning the surgery (I've had no luck over the last few days getting through to arrange a call back) to get anything done.  Which is not acceptable.
Sounds like the sort of thing pharmacy could probably have handled without the anp.

Now I think back I think pretty much everything wrong with me as a child went through pharmacist grandad before the GP.
Except for when I burst a hole in my bottom lip with my teeth, although those paper stitches would probably be an miu job now, don't want blood pouring allover reception.

« Reply #13 on: 02 September, 2021, 01:58:56 pm »
Pre-Covid I could pitch up at my surgery when they opened and generally get seen with half an hour.
During lockdown I called a couple of times for a phone consultation. The longest I had a to wait for a doctor to call me back was about a hour.
They appear to still be working the telephone consultation system at present.