Author Topic: The Squid Game  (Read 4621 times)

The Squid Game
« on: 22 September, 2021, 07:21:59 pm »
On Netflix.

OMFG.

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The Squid Game
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2021, 09:57:10 am »
On Netflix.

OMFG.
is that a resounding endorsement for said programme so that I must watch it at my earliest convenience or a don’t watch this utter bilge scream of despair? Asking for a friend.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2 on: 23 September, 2021, 10:02:02 am »
The trailer looks promising. If you like gore, despair and dystopian fiction.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 23 September, 2021, 11:00:28 am »
On Netflix.

OMFG.
is that a resounding endorsement for said programme so that I must watch it at my earliest convenience or a don’t watch this utter bilge scream of despair? Asking for a friend.

It's excellent (if you like dystopian Korean stuff)

« Reply #4 on: 23 September, 2021, 12:12:11 pm »
On Netflix.

OMFG.

It's excellent (if you like dystopian Korean stuff)

And if you do, try "Save the Green Planet!", and of course the recent "Parasite".  Maybe not dystopian, definitely Korean.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2021, 06:12:37 pm »
Obviously there's Oldboy too. The Korean 2003 one, not the 2013 Hollywood remake.

Anyway just binged the whole series of Squid Game.  Very, very good TV. Gripping storyline, beautiful sets and imagery.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 30 September, 2021, 01:38:41 pm »
Just finished SG. Nicely resolved. Hope the producers don't get the sequel bug and drag it out into Casa-de-Papel-esque idiocy.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7 on: 30 September, 2021, 01:53:19 pm »
No spoilers please.  I have SG on my 'To Watch' list.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 30 September, 2021, 04:02:04 pm »
Oops. Sorry pardon.

« Reply #9 on: 02 October, 2021, 10:28:22 am »
Reports of Netflix being sued by Sth Korean ISP due to massive network traffic...

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10 on: 05 October, 2021, 08:08:48 am »
I started watching this latish last night. I really shouldn’t have stayed up to watch three episodes. It was after 2am when I crawled into my bed!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #11 on: 05 October, 2021, 08:11:13 am »
Yes, it's addictive isn't it. I had very weird dreams after watching it...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 09 October, 2021, 01:05:13 pm »
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #13 on: 14 October, 2021, 08:07:34 am »
Some primary schools around here having to send notes to parents not to let their children watch SG. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #14 on: 14 October, 2021, 09:06:14 am »
This is on my list too. Seems differing reports as to whether to watch it dubbed or subtitled? Any opinions?

Of course what I eventually do will be dictated by my ability to use the technology…

« Reply #15 on: 14 October, 2021, 09:19:57 am »
This is on my list too. Seems differing reports as to whether to watch it dubbed or subtitled? Any opinions?

Of course what I eventually do will be dictated by my ability to use the technology…

Subtitled, always.

The voices are part of the acting.

« Reply #16 on: 14 October, 2021, 09:22:46 am »
Some primary schools around here having to send notes to parents not to let their children watch SG.

That is because SG is becoming a cultural meme. Its popping up everywhere including in kids online video games like Roblox.

If I hadn't known about Squid Game my kids would have told me about it. They haven't watched it, and I've told them why they shouldn't watch it, but it keeps popping up in their lives and they realise it is something both fascinating and dangerous.  The premise of Squid Games is, of course, centred on children's games.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17 on: 14 October, 2021, 09:24:19 am »
+1 for subtitled.
Yes, it's addictive isn't it. I had very weird dreams after watching it...

No funny dreams after SG, but we watched The Terminal the other night and that did it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #19 on: 14 October, 2021, 07:51:37 pm »

Here's an opinion and an interesting one on "translator as unreliable narrator":

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/oct/14/squid-game-netflix-translations-subtitle-problem

« Reply #20 on: 14 October, 2021, 08:57:16 pm »
This is true of any translation. Idiomatic language, subtle local cultural references, and so on. All nigh on impossible to convey.

« Reply #21 on: 14 October, 2021, 09:34:02 pm »
What I found interesting (apart from It being directly relevant to PaulF’s query), was the possibility there might might be a systematic bias in translation inaccuracies, and that it might be very hard to detect when that is the case if you are not a native speaker.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #22 on: 15 October, 2021, 05:52:02 am »
We watched it with German dubbing and English subtitles one day and English dubbing and German subtitles the other day.

There were completely different sentences/ideas in the language on many occasions.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23 on: 15 October, 2021, 09:12:38 am »
Best I've seen in that regard was an Italian film where figlio was consistently translated as wire.  And in that thing about Terra View vs Google they managed to translate Wahnsinn as awesome when the character really meant the literal meaning for the word, barking mad.

« Reply #24 on: 26 October, 2021, 07:47:31 am »
+1 for subtitled

I enjoyed it, but

(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>