Author Topic: Carradice saddle packs - plastic fastenings  (Read 726 times)

Carradice saddle packs - plastic fastenings
« on: 24 September, 2021, 02:46:53 pm »
I've got a couple of saddle packs, but the fastenings aren't secure. I'm pretty sure I'm using them correctly. At present I'm using a bungee cord round the pack and saddle rails. Any tips or anyone replaced the fastenings successfully?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Carradice saddle packs - plastic fastenings
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2021, 02:54:12 pm »
What model?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2021, 03:07:52 pm »
Assuming you mean the cam-lever ones in the picture, the webbing to be secured should be threaded in from the hinge side with the lever up, then the lever pushed down when the webbing has been pulled through.  In theory, tension on the web will tend to pull the cam into tighter engagement with the web, and keep the lever from popping up.

In practice IME it depends on how well matched the web and buckle are. I've had handlebar lamps stay solid using similar buckles, but on my current welly boots they absolutely refuse to stay done up.  I've no direct experience of Carradice's use of them.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2021, 03:40:04 pm »
I have their Super C Saddlepack; the big one at 6 litres.  Absolutely rock solid.  Pictures on the website show the threading of the webbing.  https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddle-packs-sqr-bags/super-c-saddlepack

« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2021, 08:42:09 pm »
Thanks for this. I think I did it the orthodox way, as linked by tatanab, originally, and that slipped. So, I've tried putting it through the far end and doubling it back under the clip, with the same result. I bought both bags second hand, so maybe the clips are worn. I'd really like to continue using them though. Dunno whether Carradice would do a repair.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2021, 08:43:24 pm »
They would.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...