Author Topic: Ear "popping" when cycling up Llanberis Pass  (Read 1140 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Ear "popping" when cycling up Llanberis Pass
« on: 30 September, 2021, 04:05:09 pm »
Why does this happen sometimes, but by no means consistently? Possibly 30/70 does to does not?

Pen Y Pass is only 359m and my nearest hill, reasonably out the back door, so frequently encountered.

And I may be be imagining it - more often going up from the east rather than coming home from the Llanberis side?

It doesn't seem to matter what colour shoes/sunglasses/cap or which bike!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Ear "popping" when cycling up Llanberis Pass
« Reply #1 on: 30 September, 2021, 04:17:05 pm »
Will depend if/how badly congested you are if you’re not “blocked” then your ears probably won’t pop. A little congestion and you will. But the threshold varies from person to person.

Also how fast you climb or, probably more noticeably, descend.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2021, 04:17:16 pm »
Ears pop when atmospheric pressure changes rapidly. (The pressure inside and outside the eardrum differ enough to be noticed.) This is often due to ascent, as in aeroplanes (though I notice this much less nowadays) or descent, as on an underground train. Personally, I've never climbed fast enough to pop my ears.
Maybe there are local meteorological phenomena affecting the atmospheric pressure in the example you cite.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #3 on: 30 September, 2021, 04:25:31 pm »
Undoubtedly a plodding climber - I blame the weight of the Carradice Nelson Longflap. And a brakes on all the way down fella!

It's difficult to imagine rapid atmospheric pressure changes in this instance?

It also happens inconsistently when driving the wee van over the Pass too - again usually at reasonably slow speed

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 30 September, 2021, 05:16:27 pm »
My ears popped coming down the A40 off the Chilterns once.  I probably had some winter snot at the time.

Other than that, it's always involved motorised vehicles and proper mountains.

« Reply #5 on: 30 September, 2021, 06:16:34 pm »
I’d keep a record of weather at the time when your ears pop and weather when they don’t. See if you can find a pattern.   A change of elevation of 349m represents about a 3.5C change in temps assuming no inversions or other weather phenomena. The latter point may or may not matter.

« Reply #6 on: 30 September, 2021, 11:20:52 pm »
I’d keep a record of weather at the time when your ears pop and weather when they don’t. See if you can find a pattern.   A change of elevation of 349m represents about a 3.5C change in temps assuming no inversions or other weather phenomena. The latter point may or may not matter.
That should be closer to a 2C change. (1.98C per 1000'). (Standard atmosphere).
The moist adiabatic lapse rate is however a little closer at 3C/1000', but the 2C/1000' is considered the standard.

PaulF

« Reply #7 on: 01 October, 2021, 05:32:12 am »
The moist adiabatic lapse rate is however a little closer at 3C/1000', but the 2C/1000' is considered the standard.

Not sure what the change in template has to do with it? Otherwise your ears would pop moving between indoors and outdoors on a cold day.

« Reply #8 on: 01 October, 2021, 05:48:02 am »
Sorry, I was just referring to the lapse rate. (Temperature is related to pressure). 1000' is about 1" change in mercury or 33mb.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 01 October, 2021, 07:55:27 am »
Funny, I can't remember my ears popping, even on Alps & such, but then gasping for air with your mouth wide open is great for clearing the Eustachian tubes.  Don't recall it on the descents either, but I suppose screaming in terror performs much the same office.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10 on: 01 October, 2021, 09:49:42 am »

I think you’ll find Pen-Y-Pass is mostly in a moist condition 😆

PaulF

« Reply #11 on: 02 October, 2021, 01:38:19 pm »
My ears popped whilst I was going up Alpe d’Huez this morning at about 275m.

I was in my garage at the time ;D