Author Topic: Source of bulk 9speed chain  (Read 905 times)

Source of bulk 9speed chain
« on: 01 October, 2021, 01:35:24 pm »
Afternoon all, like many I’ve been cycling loads over the last 18 months, far more than prepandemic. And I’m chewing through chains at an alarming rate, about every 1000km which is every six weeks or so.This is getting expensive.

I’ve bulk bought individual KMC X9 chains earlier in the year but the stash is getting pretty depleted now. My options seem to be to either go for a better chain e.g. Wipperman, or buy a 50M workshop reel. Does anyone know of any sources of the latter that will actually sell to Joe public?

Tks

A

Re: Source of bulk 9speed chain
« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2021, 01:42:43 pm »
buy a 50M workshop reel. Does anyone know of any sources of the latter that will actually sell to Joe public?
Tks
A
https://www.chickencyclekit.co.uk/show_product.php?cat=0&p=12084

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2021, 02:39:25 pm »
buy a 50M workshop reel. Does anyone know of any sources of the latter that will actually sell to Joe public?
Tks
A
https://www.chickencyclekit.co.uk/show_product.php?cat=0&p=12084

Pretty sure Chicken is trade only - I used to buy boxed chains from them when I ran an LBS - they were usually cheap and had stock. We did consider buying rolls of 8/9/10/11 speed for the shop but it was worth the investment, storage and handling of heavy rolls of metal (and some of the more precious customers were picky about which quality of KMC chains they wanted)

I also did do some research for a friend that contemplated buying a bulk roll of, IIRC 10 speed, but the saving was pretty marginal against buying cut/boxed chains - OK you're not going to waste 2 or 3 links every time you cut a chain to size but we factored that in.

BUT - only getting 1,000km out of a chain suggests that there is another issue somewhere . . .     

I don't run the shop now but I think KMC have rationalised the range of chains to simplify it (and they make chains for Shimano too ... as well as for a number of other brands)

« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2021, 04:20:52 pm »
BUT - only getting 1,000km out of a chain suggests that there is another issue somewhere . . .   
I thought that too.

« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2021, 07:07:29 pm »
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=119318.0  refers to this subject. In the end my intended purpose is dragging a bit so I haven't yet tested the post-Brexit logistics; a certain virus got in the way a bit!

« Reply #5 on: 02 October, 2021, 05:45:03 am »
I thought that too.

Well, I clean the chain and relube weekly. The cassette was new in Jan and the cranks are as old as the bike, coming up to 4 years in Jan. I’ve just bought a Wipperman 908 which I’m told is a more durable chain so I’ll see how I go with that. Thanks for thoughts all.

A