Author Topic: Armed robbery of bicycles  (Read 6487 times)

Armed robbery of bicycles
« on: 09 October, 2021, 03:55:35 pm »
Just noticed this  - https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/british-pro-alexandar-richardson-has-bike-stolen-by-knife-wielding-gang-in-richmond-park

At one time, it was smart phones that they were after.  Now it appears that top end bikes are also high up on their list of items worth robbing.

How does a person protect his/her bike from now?

Re: Armed robbery of bicycles
« Reply #1 on: 09 October, 2021, 05:00:24 pm »
I would suggest not buying dodgy bikes off eBay (not accusing anyone btw).

Since it's not the victims who should change their behaviour, but behaviour change from the attackers, we want to make sure that it's not worth their while to do this.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #2 on: 09 October, 2021, 09:15:44 pm »
If I lived in London I would seriously consider buying some pepper spray.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 09 October, 2021, 09:21:31 pm »

It's illegal in .UK.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2021, 12:30:23 am »
Thus far this is a single incident* so talking like it’s a pattern or simply the new normal is kind of weird.

(* well, perhaps multiple attempts by the same people over one or two days)

You know London has a larger population than the three smaller home nations combined? If someone gets their bike nicked in Glasgow would you be like “if I lived in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland, I would…”. It makes as much sense.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 10 October, 2021, 10:57:10 am »
Thus far this is a single incident* so talking like it’s a pattern or simply the new normal is kind of weird.

You know London has a larger population than the three smaller home nations combined? If someone gets their bike nicked in Glasgow would you be like “if I lived in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland, I would…”. It makes as much sense.

Ah go on: the overall population density in the peripheral nations is much lower.  Personally, I wouldn't want to live in any city. Unhealthy.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 10 October, 2021, 12:22:45 pm »
Thankfully I live nowhere near London but I have, occasionally ridden across London and Richmond Park in the past.

I just hope that this was just an isolated incident.

« Reply #7 on: 10 October, 2021, 12:56:55 pm »

It's illegal in .UK.

J

I'm sure the knife-man is going to apologies and leave when you remind them a knife is also illegal.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8 on: 10 October, 2021, 01:41:39 pm »

Two incidents. Alexander Richardson (the Alpecin rider reported in Sgt Pluck's post in the commuting thread) and someone going by the twiiter handle of jam211191 had his Cannondale systemsix ultrega from 2021 taken.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #9 on: 10 October, 2021, 04:37:11 pm »
You can bet that most bikes are stripped and parts are sold on. Just think your latest bargain on ebay or one of the other selling sites may be off a stolen bike.  A frame may be easy to ID but components?

« Reply #10 on: 10 October, 2021, 05:49:11 pm »
How does a person protect his/her bike from now?
You don't, it's a bike, if some knife wielding gang want it, you're better off letting them have it before getting attacked and injured or worse.
I can't see it becoming commonplace, looks like quite a lot of effort for the return, possibly as much an act of thuggery as theft.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 10 October, 2021, 06:13:15 pm »
Yank the motorcycle handlebar backwards when they get close enough. I am happy to crash them out hard.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2021, 06:16:23 pm »
Well, I was just wondering where to ask for some advice and I came across this thread.

Shifty looking moto youth standing directly over the only bike in the shelter, muttering into his mobile phone: ...I'm by the bike with the trailer, do you want me to wait here?

I might shop elsewhere for a while.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #13 on: 11 October, 2021, 11:57:09 pm »
My NextDoor feed has a picture from today of two people on a scooter entering an estate near Roehampton with the pillion passenger carrying a road bike.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14 on: 12 October, 2021, 10:27:39 am »

It's illegal in .UK.

J

Digression time - I recently listened to a podcast with the former Formula One driver, Bertrand Gachot. He had custodial sentence for pepper spraying a taxi-driver during a road altercation in London. He was driving his French registered car and carried one in the glovebox for protection while in Paris.

His seat was taken by some German kid who made his F1 debut. Mike Shoemaker or something.

As you were. 

« Reply #15 on: 16 October, 2021, 03:16:57 pm »
Update. There were four thefts, and someone was arrested in Roehampton at 7am yesterday in connection.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #16 on: 16 October, 2021, 03:31:21 pm »
Update. There were four thefts, and someone was arrested in Roehampton at 7am yesterday in connection.

Oh good. Where did you see that news?

« Reply #17 on: 16 October, 2021, 03:42:17 pm »
From someone (who seems pretty well informed) on NextDoor.
Rust never sleeps

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #18 on: 17 October, 2021, 04:18:32 am »

Nope been going on for years, people being stabbed for their bike or robbed at knife point.  People being knocked off bromptons by groups of youths on bikes

First time it has made the news as person was famous.

« Reply #19 on: 17 October, 2021, 11:15:58 am »
Alexander Richardson is completely unknown.

« Reply #20 on: 17 October, 2021, 01:50:49 pm »
He might not be Chris Froome but nor is he some anonymous random person.

« Reply #21 on: 17 October, 2021, 03:46:46 pm »
Nope been going on for years, people being stabbed for their bike or robbed at knife point.  People being knocked off bromptons by groups of youths on bikes

First time it has made the news as person was famous.

** chinny reckon **

« Reply #22 on: 17 October, 2021, 05:27:40 pm »
Before the Olympic Park was built, so before 2010, I used to commute down the Lea Valley path alongside Hackney marshes. I’d been hearing on the local news that commuters had been targeted for their bikes and expensive possessions in bags. I thought that the early time I was using the path would be before undesirables got up, but then got chatting to another cyclist whose friend’s bike had been taken at knife point along that path.

The thieves had remained hidden in the long grass until the last minute, and then appeared in the path and stopped the cyclist, who had no option but to hand over his bike. They made off over a nearby bridge into a housing estate. He called the police, who quite promptly went to the housing estate, looked behind some bins, and recovered his bike.

After hearing about this I stopped using that path once I got into Hackney, except in the late afternoon when I knew there would be plenty of people about.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #23 on: 17 October, 2021, 08:33:17 pm »
It's been happening for years on the Fallowfield Loop in Manchester, but that won't make national news because it's not in London.  It's sporadic and usually near Levenshulme.  It's both a busy commuter route and part of the Transpennine Trail.  I've used it a lot in the past but not since the Chinese Disease.  A few years ago three people were robbed of their bikes over a period of days - at the same spot - but the police declared there to be no connection between the crimes (bike stolen, violence use or threatened, same place) so no need to follow up.

I should say that I haven't seen any recent reports.

« Reply #24 on: 17 October, 2021, 09:10:37 pm »
It's been happening for years on the Fallowfield Loop in Manchester,
A few years ago three people were robbed of their bikes over a period of days - at the same spot - but the police declared there to be no connection between the crimes (bike stolen, violence use or threatened, same place) so no need to follow up.
My brother, working at Withington Hospital, had his bike stolen from a lock-up cage on the premises. Despite there being clear cctv footage of the perpetrators in the act and their vehicle's registration, the police failed/decided not to take any action (apart from giving out a crime number for insurance purposes).

I wonder if it's just a Greater Manchester police thing?