Author Topic: fast recumbent #2  (Read 1765 times)

fast recumbent #2
« on: 06 February, 2022, 04:29:32 pm »
I have an option on a secondhand fujin SL as N+1 ...
Couple of Q's for forum members
I last rode a 'bent years ago the logistics of going to fetch it Durham - Basingstoke ~ 300 miles and the fact that I'm a good  bit shorter than the current owner may make 'trying before buying' a little difficult (I can hardly arrive with a hacksaw to trim the boom)  Anyone nearer to me willing to allow me to have a try?
My use would be #1 summer day riding and #2 maybe some BHPC racing, photo (below) shows a machine suitable for #2 but no luggage stowage. IMO given the overall style of the machine the 36 spoke wheels do seem rather overbuilt..
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1635063453521304&set=gm.10158573994241964
Finally, any general comments about ride, usability and fun factor appreciated...

Re: fast recumbent #2
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2022, 06:52:29 pm »
From the link, is that an SL or an SLII?  It appears to have no rear suspension.
Are you looking for someone nearer with a lowracer type bike or with a Fujin? 
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2022, 07:16:34 pm »
You're welcome to borrow one of my recumbents to give it a try, and buy if suitable - Kingcycle is a short wheelbase design but we are similar height so should be ok.  And quite user friendly, not as quick as a lowracer but still reasonably nippy. 
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #3 on: 06 February, 2022, 07:42:47 pm »
Does look like the SL II.  That aside, it has a weight about 8.5kg, and for fast riding and hills it’s the bees knees. Looks to be in great condition. In the photo it looks like the radical aero seat bag may be ok with seat in most upright. Definitely not one for mudguards, nice weather only. Also single blade fork which must be a Burrow’s edition (I think).

You’d be able to fit a light on headrest and front light on derailleur post should you be inclined to take out at night. But for your intended purpose fine as it is, other than how to carry basic toolkit or water on a day ride.

« Reply #4 on: 06 February, 2022, 08:04:12 pm »
Also single blade fork which must be a Burrow’s edition (I think).
Yes, Burrows. I have been in touch with the owner and, little used VGC  - TBH  he  finds it a bit of a pain to ride in traffic
The only difficulty is seeing behind on the road. I use a helmet mounted mirror but it's not the perfect solution.
Can be a bit less less traffic around here when compared to Basingstoke if you pick the right routes and times ...
But for your intended purpose fine as it is, other than how to carry basic toolkit or water on a day ride.
Yeah - I never go anywhere without a bag of  some sort...

As usual lots of good advice on YACF, Socks (Dave) a local try out would be good, I shall give you a call

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 06 February, 2022, 08:16:07 pm »
I believe there's a rack for the Fujin that fits to the back of the seat.  Lightweight aluminimum thing that's designed to take a rack bag and give you a sensible place to mount a rear light.

In general, the main problem with riding low-racers on the road (assuming sensible weather) is potholes.  Hard to see them coming, and with a bike that's rude not to ride at speeds in excess of R17, high risk of Consequences if you don't.

« Reply #6 on: 06 February, 2022, 08:18:01 pm »
As for mirrors I currently have this one, which is great for full road width view.

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/ruckspiegel/produkt/901.html?

The plastic screw for tightening on bars is made of cheese, but can replaced with bog standard zip tie Id think.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 06 February, 2022, 08:27:36 pm »
The only difficulty is seeing behind on the road. I use a helmet mounted mirror but it's not the perfect solution.

On the Red Baron I use an idea lobachevskied from Wendy OTP: B&M Cyclestar mirrors (the smaller ones, with the long curved arm) mounted inboard of the brake levers (with bonus cable tie securing the arm to the brake cable where they cross, for extra stability), with the arm almost horizontal to position the mirror somewhere above my hand.  This gives me a view backward over my shoulder, without adding extra width to the bars the way a bar-end mounted mirror would.

On the road one mirror is sufficient.  I added a second for BHPC races.

I know the bars on the Fujin are a bit narrower than the ones on the Baron, but it would probably work okay.

ETA: Crosspost with Lightning Phil.  We appear to be on the same page.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 06 February, 2022, 08:30:40 pm »
If the current owner can get it to central London I can hold it for you for as long as you need?

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #9 on: 07 February, 2022, 02:37:36 pm »
That's pretty much a replica of my old SL2 which was the first ever to have that mono fork/bars conversion. Fantastic bike for your intentions. Being shorter will also improve the stiffness. It's very lightweighted, but goes like a rocket. Climbs well being light.
The Burrows mono fork is an improvement on the Challenge one which had a weak crown.
For fast day rides or audax etc - a blast. There is a Radical bag that hangs from the seat and will carry waterbag and kit.
Most exciting machine I had in 35 years of cycling. Went further and faster than on anything else, including super road bikes. Snap it up chum, looks like superb condition.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #10 on: 07 February, 2022, 03:10:22 pm »
Not an SL however there is a nice Kingcycle for sale on the BHPC forum.  Frame modified for 26" / 20" wheels and with the aero tailbox.  Located at Ripon with what looks like a reasonable price of £600.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.