Author Topic: Promoting AUDAX events  (Read 41485 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Promoting AUDAX events
« Reply #150 on: 22 January, 2009, 06:00:06 pm »
If you had to ride an SR in Spring '09 to qualify, it couldn't be sold out.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #151 on: 22 January, 2009, 06:23:59 pm »
This comment seems to have come out of the blue, but I'll respond to it anyway ...

JP just registerd for yacf so he couldn't contribute earlier on.
The main problem for requiring a full BRM series for any non-PBP 1200+ ride is that in a lot of countries clubs only organise a full series if there's a PBP year. They fear not enough interest. I guess that this is a chicken&egg debate, since it's unusual in many countries to do a full series in non-PBP years people don't ride it, or they don't ride because there's nothing on offer. In countries where most organisers offer a full series each year they do attract a nice amount of riders. For riders from these affected areas it'll be a major problem to qualify for any 1200+ event outside of PBP years.

« Reply #152 on: 22 January, 2009, 07:07:19 pm »
There is a risk that in trying to increase numbers completing the 400+ rides, you actually decrease entries for the 1000km+ rides!

Inasmuch as LEL is full well before the event, that would surely not be an issue?

Make it a £50 non-refundable deposit to guarantee a place, plus an SR in the spring of that year? Don't think that'd work though.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Martin

« Reply #153 on: 22 January, 2009, 10:06:16 pm »
I hadn't realised this before; LEL is billed as an ideal first uberdistance event (easier than PBP from some sources) but you have to commit to entering it before you've even ridden one "qualifier"

is it unique in that respect and if so is it only this year that that's been the case?

FWIW I really enjoyed the hectic way the 3/4/600 quallys for PBP were scheduled; riding the 4 then the 6 on consecutive weekends was almost as scary as the event itself.

Out of interest how many of this parish have signed up without having already done an SR up to now?

« Reply #154 on: 22 January, 2009, 11:22:30 pm »
Out of interest how many of this parish have signed up without having already done an SR up to now?

Me.

My LEL deposit cheque was dated 26th November 2007. By that point I'd done several 200s and only one 300.

(Sorry, spotted that you said "up to now". I've done an SR since sending off the cheque.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

peanut

« Reply #155 on: 23 January, 2009, 12:41:49 am »
What about a change of name from Audax to something else?

;)

I second that. i think perhaps Audax have an unfortunate image problem with newcomers and youngsters. personly I think they are excellent . Well run and good value . However there is no denying the fact that Audax is seriously old fashioned and uncool in the 21st century .
I am surprised for example that non members are not permitted to view more than 3 months future events ?  what on earth is all that about.? Seems to me they are shooting themselves in the foot really. If riders can't see future events to plan for without paying for membership they are likely to select sportives instead.

Audax needs a big shake up imo

« Reply #156 on: 23 January, 2009, 06:47:00 am »

I am surprised for example that non members are not permitted to view more than 3 months future events ?  what on earth is all that about.? Seems to me they are shooting themselves in the foot really. If riders can't see future events to plan for without paying for membership they are likely to select sportives instead.

Where do you get that idea from?  When you go into the calendar you currently see events up to May.  If you click on the months in the left hand margin you can see events at any time you choose.

I have no argument with your other points, though.

« Reply #157 on: 23 January, 2009, 07:27:56 am »

Where do you get that idea from?  When you go into the calendar you currently see events up to May.  If you click on the months in the left hand margin you can see events at any time you choose.

If you're not a member the search blocks you beyond 4 months.
I hadn't though to try the months links either ... thanks  :thumbsup:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #158 on: 23 January, 2009, 11:38:01 am »
What about a change of name from Audax to something else?

;)

I second that. i think perhaps Audax have an unfortunate image problem with newcomers and youngsters. personly I think they are excellent . Well run and good value . However there is no denying the fact that Audax is seriously old fashioned and uncool in the 21st century .
We've been through this. Just about everything labelled as 'uncool' or old-fashioned turns out to be the things that make Audax a useful niche activity, stuff that you just don't get with Sportives etc.

And pleeeease note the smiley after the name-change suggestion! There is nothing more guaranteed to pi55 me off than a pointless name change to synergise and leverage ongoing trends in modern recreational activities harnessing upward sociological paradigm shifts.

Alternative sarcastic reply:
You're right. I mean, how old are these weird 'bicycle' things? Pre-war? I've seen pictures of bikes without gears or a computer. They're just, like, sooo sad.

We should all be doing something modern and cool, like jetpack racing, or teenage sexchats.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #159 on: 23 January, 2009, 12:25:41 pm »
More a question of the marketing - if we want to be more attractive to newbies then recognise that Audax as a brand is not instantly compelling, and promote as a  "Challenge" or "Tour of ..".

Or alternatively .... what data there is seems to suggest a relatively vigorous if small niche activity that would have trouble coping with a big explosion in the number of participants.  So leave it pretty much as it is  ;D
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #160 on: 23 January, 2009, 12:51:22 pm »
 ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Martin

« Reply #161 on: 23 January, 2009, 01:15:05 pm »
I don't see any waning of interest here;

clicky

I think we should be strongly promoting the Audax brand not trying to hide it behind something it isn't; if the other forums and press want to ignore us in favour of sportives sod them; most Audax organisers have not the resources or manpower to provide the sort of service sportives provide; and even if we did there would still be those out there calling us "pretend sportives"

« Reply #162 on: 23 January, 2009, 02:08:12 pm »
Excellent graphs, thanks.

I'd just suggest that changing perceptions is a notoriously difficult and lengthy process, and to "strongly promote" the Audax brand might require more resources and effort than we are prepared to commit.

Not that we should in any way be ashamed of the brand, just appreciate that it may not have the positive brand recognition that we might like, and market accordingly.

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

Martin

« Reply #163 on: 23 January, 2009, 02:15:35 pm »
Excellent graphs, thanks.

I'd just suggest that changing perceptions is a notoriously difficult and lengthy process, and to "strongly promote" the Audax brand might require more resources and effort than we are prepared to commit.

Not that we should in any way be ashamed of the brand, just appreciate that it may not have the positive brand recognition that we might like, and market accordingly.

I think most organisers already do market accordingly; targetting local CTC groups, clubs etc. The only way to increase the available resources for an event seems to be to go down the charity route. I may crash and burn on this but my predicition is that if we continue promoting events exactly as is we will still be in a strong position in 5 years; harder to predict what will happen to sportives.

why are we fighting anyway? the 2 types of ride are fundamentally the same.

« Reply #164 on: 23 January, 2009, 08:23:30 pm »
I'm still not sure I buy the image problem. Audax has an image problem with people who already ride sportives. That's fine - the ones to target are those who ride bikes, would like something more of a challenge, don't want to race and aren't already in organised cycling. There are lots more potential riders there than among the existing sportive riders.

Since these people haven't heard of Audax, they can't have a problem with its image.

The problem is surely letting them hear about it?

Martin

« Reply #165 on: 14 March, 2009, 01:45:13 pm »
after a lengthy discussion elsewhere it appears that sportives really do cost what they cost and £20-30 entry fees are not just the norm but are necessary to cover the overheads. And people love them; a lot more than they like shorter Audaxes.

So (as this is still and A/C board) what do the panel think; Separate Development or try to break down the borders ?

Something I've even thought about is waymarking my own event. If Audax can go some way towards providing what these customers obviously want (and are prepared to pay for ) we should be onto a winner.

John M

« Reply #166 on: 14 March, 2009, 02:25:08 pm »
Hi,

I find it’s usually the sum of lots of small details that add up to give a greater sum.
Here is one small idea that I believe would help promote AUDAX events.

I noticed that AUDAX UK's accounts are very healthy. What should we do with the money.
Returns of banking investments are pretty low these days,..so
If possible please can they put something back to organisers.

If there is anybody on the YACF site who is also on committee of AUDAX UK? Please could they put forward a proposal for AUK to invest in some colourful flying banners for AUDAX.

Bright yellow would definitely be eye catching.

Looking at web-sites that produce promotional flags / banners it appears the more you buy the more the unit cost comes down. Making it much more cost effective then if I had to but a banner.

Come on AUDAX !! Why don’t you invest in 300?
I could do with 3 of these for my events for use at the start / finish location and at controls.

They can be shared around other Scottish Audax rides if required.

I suspect persons may come up with all manner of reasons why not to do this...from logistics, ownership, cost, mainainamce, loss etc etc.

Me, I just say go for it. If you don’t try you will never know.

Keep spinning
John M

StanThomas

« Reply #167 on: 14 March, 2009, 10:25:50 pm »
... proposal for AUK to invest in some colourful flying banners for AUDAX.

But do we want to promote our event on the day or in advance? The idea, surely, is that a higher profile in the press, etc. will attract entries. Banners at the start/finish give an event 'presence' but they're soon left behind by the people we're targeting - riders. If it were linked in with a report in the local papers/cycling press it might help an event grow in future years.

There is this audax ethos of not drawing attention to ourselves in case the local authority tries to stop us taking over a car park for the day. But, if your event HQ is private it could certainly increase the profile. Maybe you'd get an audience  8) .

In fact, the more I think about it, there could be quite a spectacle to watching riders struggle up the Old Horseshoe to finish at the Ponderosa. And the Ponderosa might well embrace it. What about the riders doing the struggling though? Would they be put off?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #168 on: 15 March, 2009, 03:51:35 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/I9w_1JvyNiw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/I9w_1JvyNiw&rel=1</a>   

They certainly knew how to start an audax in those days. Of course, Chepstow has changed a bit since then.

« Reply #169 on: 15 March, 2009, 06:38:08 am »
Of course, chepstow has changed a bit since then.

;D

I would have liked to find out how good Audaxing is, years before I actually did  - should have paid more attention somehow. But I rather doubt if banners would have done the trick.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #170 on: 15 March, 2009, 10:02:21 pm »
May be it would be easier to target the 1000s of cyclist who are not affiliated to a club. You could try to persuade the local city council to advertise a populaire challenge for "hardened" commuters during bike week. For instance piggybacking an event like this:  Bristol City Council: Cycling: Bristol's Biggest Bike Ride - 2009
You make sure that all participants get a flyer explaining what an audax is with audax uk details at the end and even if you only get one in 50 interested, that would attract quite a lot of people.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #171 on: 15 March, 2009, 10:17:42 pm »
That's my view (as a rider not an organiser) - the encouraging signs I see are when shorter events attract people who do not appear to be club riders. There are a lot more of them than there are existing CTC and sportive types...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #172 on: 15 March, 2009, 11:35:06 pm »
I'd seriously consider starting from the other end on promoting Audaxes.

How many riders can you reasonably cater for (both in organisation and in feeding at controls) on an Audax.

Then look to see if
a) you have slack to 'sell'
b) you need more events
c) you'd have to limit entry numbers
d) you'd need a less intensive entry system
e) some regulars may not be able to get spaces on rides
etc.

You'd probably also have to sex up some organisational aspects. Coming along for the first time to an event filled with regulars who all know each other could be quite daunting unless you know what you are doing. Perhaps some riders offer to shepherd newcomers, help with route sheets. etc. The entry form could have a tick box "Is this your first Audax?". If ticked then the new rider is offered a mentor.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #173 on: 15 March, 2009, 11:42:46 pm »
"Is this your first Audax?". If ticked then the new rider is offered a mentor.

Surely the correct answer is:

If ticked the new rider is offered a steely stare.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #174 on: 16 March, 2009, 08:56:44 am »
"Is this your first Audax?". If ticked then the new rider is offered a mentor.

Surely the correct answer is:

If ticked the new rider is offered a steely stare.

And a loaf of Soreen.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: