Author Topic: Promoting AUDAX events  (Read 41487 times)

Re: Promoting AUDAX events
« Reply #25 on: 20 December, 2008, 01:52:13 pm »
Call them "sportives" and increase the entry fee to £39.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 20 December, 2008, 03:00:52 pm »
Advertise on television.  Hope that helps.

AUK used to have a Calendar listing on Teletext ...

No way.  That is so far beyond awesome it should be at the front of the handbook in commemoration of a very good thing indeed.  Did it have it's own blocky grafix of the auk eagle insignia?
I'm having visions of the next 'retro' AUK jersey ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #27 on: 20 December, 2008, 05:23:56 pm »
Put it on the Web would be my suggestion. And take every opportunity to plug the website address. That little WWW thing on the left below my name has attracted 6 hits from YACF members in under a week.

- and you've just prompted me to have a look at your website too. Excellent stuff - lots of good clear info and even a PDF routesheet to download. Bit too far away for me to actually come on any of your rides, but an admiral model of how things should be done.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #28 on: 21 December, 2008, 04:49:29 pm »
Take lessons from el Supremo.
It takes some work - riders appreciate feedback, news, communication and then tell others about the rides.
A good reputation takes time to build up and can be destroyed on one day.

There were/are 2 similar events darn Sarf: 1 had publicity and had to close the entry, t'other 1 didn't bother and had few riders.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #29 on: 21 December, 2008, 07:58:47 pm »
If you are trying to attract entrants to events of less than 200 km then the usual suspects in central Scotland (with the wee enclave in Angus) will make up the bulk of your entry.  Local cycling clubs are probably your next best bet if your event is early season.
Mid-summer, most club cyclists are racing up and down the country time-trialling, with a few road-racing.  I think if you were to look at the entry for a 10, 25 or 50 mile time trial, the field would be quite acceptable in terms of size.  A few with ambitions of  MBAR and BAR will ride 100 milers and a 12 hr (for BAR), but I can only guess that this is a small percentage of active club cyclists.  Scotland has, I believe, one 12 hr TT and even that is under threat.

I think there are a limited number of audaxers cyclists in Scotland who will ride more than 200km and for many reasons.  If your event is 200km and above and the timing is right, a few of the BAR distance club cyclist may enter.  I was fortunate a couple of times during the organisation of the Tayside Transgression when I received quite a few entrants from Stirling BC.  They were either building up for the Scottish 12 hr, being encouraged by their mates, or lived very locally to the start!

A few times I have been fortunate to attract entrants from further afield.  A couple were training for Le Etappe and came up from NE England and others have been holidaying in the area or had relatives who live close to the start.

So John M, I'm not sure.  You solicited my opinion (and probably that of others) earlier in the year so the fact that you are posting here would suggest you do not have the solution you were perhaps looking for.  Basically, I think it boils down to numbers and those who actively ride audaxes.  In this part of the world these numbers are quite small.  I don't know what the solution is either.  I would love to have 50 plus riders on the Tayside Transgression 300km.  Change the name to 'sportive' and charge £40 entry ?

However, does the success of an event present its own problems?  If the size of the field for the Tayside was to grow to beyond 40, logistically, I would be struggling at the existing start/finish due to the car parking currently available.  Would offering overnight accommodation attract more entrants ?  It would also mean a significant increase to the entry fee to cover the cost of the Hall.  Moving the Start / Finish somewhere else would be less attractive to me as an organiser in terms of distance from home to event HQ.  Bringing the event further South would mean a major change to the route.  Does that mean it's a different event entirely ?

So as others have suggested, flyers in local bike shops, and to local bike clubs.  The CTC; local and neighbouring DAs.  This forum (but those who read the audax pages are probable entrants any way).

« Reply #30 on: 21 December, 2008, 08:09:04 pm »
This reminds me...

« Reply #31 on: 23 December, 2008, 09:44:37 am »
Hi,

I am organising 3 AUDAX rides next year.

There seems to be less riders taking part these days.

I would be very much interested to hear from all out there as to any ideas how AUDAX events can be better promoted or their image changed to attract more riders.

I really do not want to organise the events in future years if I can not attract 50 riders for each event…. :'(

This is a really interesting topic and many points have been covered already, but here is my contribution and it relates to the internet side of things.

The BeaconRCC organise two audaxes per year, both of which attract 150 and 300 riders respectively. Putting aside the issues surrounding interesting routes and facilities on the day, we also place an emphasis on web-based information and entry.

Our website has been an important feature in attracting more participants.  It includes route maps, GPX files, details on what riders can expect on the ride and at the HQ.  More importantly, there is an online entry and Paypal facility, it costs riders a £1 more but they are not expected to go through the rigmarole of sending 2 SAEs.

In this day and age, internet advertising is essential.  Organisers with their own websites will fair better than those without. A further way to increase participation is to e-mail or place adverts on local club message boards.

Take a look at Beacon Roads Cycling Club

At a time when sportives are prospering, whilst audaxes should not replicate them, we can learn a lot from their organisation, the information provided in advance and good details on what riders can expect to receive.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

TrevK

« Reply #32 on: 23 December, 2008, 01:26:42 pm »
Although the events are Audax and controlled by AUK maybe we shouldn't be promoting them as such. After all AUK members and like minded cyclists will turn up anyway. Furthermore the mention of Audax is enough to put many people off. Maybe you should be promoting particularly the shorter (more manageable) distances as "challenges" and try to engage more of the general population. Also try to get the local authorities on board as your events are "healthy" and "low carbon"!! I also agree with a previous post that to appeal to a modern and web savvy audience you need to have a good web presence and on line entries. I know AUK (Francis Cooke?) mentioned this a few years ago as the way forward but nothing seems to have come out of it.

Trev

http://www.total-cycling.co.uk

StanThomas

« Reply #33 on: 23 December, 2008, 02:05:22 pm »
... the mention of Audax is enough to put many people off.
Maybe you should be promoting particularly the shorter (more manageable) distances as "challenges".

May not go down well on this forum, but don't think it hasn't crossed my mind to run my rides under the Everyday Cycling banner. Perhaps it's not the events themselves but the Audax brand that needs to be promoted. Or, as has been suggested elsewhere, separate Populaires from the Audax mainstream.

... and try to engage more of the general population.

However, I do think that selling even a 60 mile cycle ride to the general population is going to be a struggle to far.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #34 on: 23 December, 2008, 04:03:07 pm »
The only 'requirement' re. AUK is to mention, preferably at/near the top of route and information sheets and any promotional blurb, that the event is run under the regulations of AUK. Stops riders assuming that it's a race or Reliability Ride.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Martin

« Reply #35 on: 23 December, 2008, 04:51:02 pm »
... the mention of Audax is enough to put many people off.
Maybe you should be promoting particularly the shorter (more manageable) distances as "challenges".

May not go down well on this forum, but don't think it hasn't crossed my mind to run my rides under the Everyday Cycling banner. Perhaps it's not the events themselves but the Audax brand that needs to be promoted. Or, as has been suggested elsewhere, separate Populaires from the Audax mainstream.

Populaires are the Audax mainstream; they account for more validated rides than the rest put together. Take them away and what have you got?

Definitely promote all events under and heavily sell the Audax brand; they are the best non competitive events going in terms of routes, organisation and value. I predict Sportives will be all but gone in 5 years. Everyday Cycling is just the provisional wing of BC.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #36 on: 23 December, 2008, 05:03:37 pm »
Populaires are the Audax mainstream; they account for more validated rides than the rest put together. Take them away and what have you got?

A long distance cycling club?

StanThomas

« Reply #37 on: 23 December, 2008, 05:19:54 pm »
Definitely promote all events under and heavily sell the Audax brand; they are the best non competitive events going in terms of routes, organisation and value.

I whole-heartedly agree. But there is undeniably a stigma attached to the Audax label amongst many riders who will readily ride something like the Polka Dot Challenge. It's not logical or reasoned. In fact, it's probably based on ignorance. And I suspect there are many AUK members who like things just the way they are. But if we're going to promote the events maybe we have to find a way to promote the brand.

Martin

« Reply #38 on: 23 December, 2008, 05:36:13 pm »
there is undeniably a stigma attached to the Audax label amongst many riders who will readily ride something like the Polka Dot Challenge.

and they will continue to so so; like members of my own club who refuse to ride my Audax event because of what it is; forget them, there are plenty of riders out there if you look. Who actually cares how popular Audax is among other riders as long as the events are healthy (+1 here for keeping things much as they are if the alternative is the way sportives have gone); could anybody here cope with 300 riders turning up to their event (and then buggering off the next year after you've hired a bigger place etc?)

« Reply #39 on: 23 December, 2008, 05:59:18 pm »
When Audax is mentioned in a cycle mag or another forum the two things that seem to be crop up are mudguards (groan) and speed limits. I'm not sure whether (potential) Audax riders are put off by the term 'speed limits' and maybe 'time alllowance' would be more appropriate.

There also seems to be a common held opinion that Audaxes are slow but
looking down the lists of Sportive times it would seem that a large number of participants finish within the Audax time bands.

StanThomas

« Reply #40 on: 23 December, 2008, 06:25:29 pm »
There also seems to be a common held opinion that Audaxes are slow ...

Maybe my rides are unusual but gold medal standard Marmotte riders struggled to make 23kph on a 30kph limit. And if you look at the results for rides like the Polka Dot challenge,  AUK members are generally well up. Perhaps the fear is that Audaxes are too hard?

StanThomas

« Reply #41 on: 23 December, 2008, 06:28:52 pm »
Who actually cares how popular Audax is among other riders as long as the events are healthy.

The guy who started this thread. I have a foot in both the sportive and audax camps. And a cross-over between them may be exactly what's needed.

« Reply #42 on: 23 December, 2008, 06:34:02 pm »

A long distance cycling club?

Would it be a financially viable club if you lost the income from 65% of rides (2007/08) and subs from members that only wish to ride the shorter events? I'd guess possibly but not without a significant reduction in what the club provides for its members.

Going a bit off topic but the OP doesn't seem to be participating the discussion.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #43 on: 23 December, 2008, 06:35:06 pm »
Furthermore the mention of Audax is enough to put many people off.
Careful: some of us are discouraged by mention of "sportives" !

I also agree with a previous post that to appeal to a modern and web savvy audience you need to have a good web presence and on line entries.
The bright young web-savvy things are discussing it already:
PayPal entry
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #44 on: 23 December, 2008, 07:29:26 pm »
Who actually cares how popular Audax is among other riders as long as the events are healthy.

The guy who started this thread. I have a foot in both the sportive and audax camps. And a cross-over between them may be exactly what's needed.

Ok that's maybe not what I meant; Audaxes by their nature are fairly low budget events which can survive on a couple of dozen riders or less and cannot all be easily expanded, Sportives are much bigger but not necessarily better events which can justify a bigger outlay in terms of facilities; food; timing chips etc. although this may require sponsorship (by an organisation) and often a return for this in the form of a large donation from the riders; some of  which may go to charity. Nothing at all wrong with that but it underlines the fundamental difference between the events. By all means publicise an AUK ride by whatever usual and unusual means have been suggested in this thread but don't expect an instant success. If the event requires 50 riders to be a success be prepared to scale it down if required  :)

FWIW I happen to think sportives and Audax are very much in the same camp in contrast and as an alternative to the UK club TT/ road race tradition so I welcome any cross over between the two even though they do often seem poles apart ATM.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #45 on: 23 December, 2008, 07:59:50 pm »
The difference between Audax and Sportive, as encouraged by the press, is aspirational.

Randonneurs want to ride their bikes, Sportive riders want to ride their bikes as fast as possible.

The fact that they are mostly riding at the same pace is neither here nor there.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #46 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:07:31 pm »
I am itching to type lots of rude things about Sportive riders (who are nearly all faster/fitter/richer than me). But the truth is, I agree with Martin:

FWIW I happen to think sportives and Audax are very much in the same camp in contrast and as an alternative to the UK club TT/ road race tradition so I welcome any cross over between the two even though they do often seem poles apart ATM.

(plus of course there is cross-over between all the disciplines, to various extents.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #47 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:11:45 pm »
For what it's worth, I wouldn't ride something called a sportive, it just doesn't sound like bumbling along on a brompton would be welcome.

Duncan

« Reply #48 on: 23 December, 2008, 09:23:06 pm »
I agree. the way to promote events is to make as much information about the event as accessable as possible. The more riders the better IMO. I was impressed by the clear presentation of information and ease of entry on the Beacon Roads Site.

As far as running it under a particular banner, why is it so important. If riders get out and enjoy the day then who cares. Call it what you like but if its run under AUK regs then its it'll be an audax whether folk realise it or not.

Get bums on saddles, I say.

Martin

« Reply #49 on: 23 December, 2008, 10:22:51 pm »
Quote from: mattc link=topic=12542.msg227454#msg227454 date=123006285
(plus of course there is cross-over between all the disciplines, to various extents.)

yes but Audax, sportives, cherridy rides and reliability trials are the only ones that are not classed as cycle races. The above are all often looked upon as a bit of out of season fun by many club riders where they are in fact our bread and butter.

I do wonder sometimes how Audax can grow all the time it remains a cottage industry. Just look at what has beeh achieved with the Catford RT with a bit of imagination.